Oculus Rift DK2 Works!

up
50 users have voted.
dpmcalli's picture
Sea admiral

With some tweaking. But once you get there its great! The image quality is much improved and this game is a whole new experiance in VR. Looking at the wildlife is great and the scale of the wrecks suddenly bacomes a little intimidating.

If you want it to work you have to kill the new service as this only plays well with games using the new SDK atm.

Instructions:

Stop OculusConfigUtil:

- Perform any necessary calibration or IPD adjustment with the OculusConfigUtil before closing it.
- Close OculusConfigUtil by right-clicking the Oculus icon in your system tray and choosing "Exit".
- Find OculusConfigUtil in the Start Menu under Start > All Programs > Startup. Right-click it and choose "delete" or drag it to another location.

Stop OVRService:

- Open the Windows Task Scheduler by clicking Start > Run and typing "Task Scheduler".
- Select Task Scheduler Library
- Right-click "Oculus Service Sheduler" and select "Disable". (Delete if it doesn't work)
Reboot your computer, and run the game at 1080p fullscreen in extended mode. This can be tricky. Please comment if you have questions.

Oculus is aware of the issue and is working to fix it properly soon. This will get you up and running though.

up
25 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Thanks a lot for the confirmation and heads up Cali, awesome info I assume.

For those having issues with the task schedular, try searching for services instead.

up
6 users have voted.
Diving buddy

thats gread

up
20 users have voted.

Thanks for the info, mine is one it's way, I can't wait!

up
14 users have voted.
HVC FOG3Y34's picture
Scuba diver

I wish i could even get an oculus rift.

up
12 users have voted.
johnnybud's picture
Kraken

So jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

up
18 users have voted.
Kolchak's picture
Sea admiral

I really don't think I can wait for the retail version of Oculus!

up
19 users have voted.
dpmcalli's picture
Sea admiral

Those waiting for their DK2s, just want to let you know that its awesome! I had the DK1 but didnt use it massively other than trying out new demos and such because unfortunately the low resolution and ghosting made playing games almost impossible.

Im pleased to report this is no longer the case! They have fixed motion blur, its just gone. The resolution is so much better. Yeah you can still see pixels, but its good enough to use as a practical device now in ways the DK1 never was. I've been playing Euro truck and Elite Dangerous in the Rift today and they are both such amazing fun. In Euro truck you can now see off into the distance enough to drive easily and use the mirrors, over taking and driving round feels genuinely real after a while. Elite is just in a world of its own and one of the most amazing experiences Ive ever had with a game.

There are issues, the SDK a bit broken and Im experiencing (like most others) judder in the new demos. But Oculus are aware and are working on it. Once the rough edges are smoothed out, VR is going to be mind blowing.

up
17 users have voted.

Sweet .. I am really looking forward to it, and I will probably try the games you mentioned. I am so excited to see VR is finally entering our homes in an affordable manner. I have spent a fortune over the years to get something half as good as what we are getting now.

I really can't wait to get hand tracking working in an inexpensive way so we can really start doing stuff in VR without controllers. The first step to this will be my STEM kit when it gets released. Should be soon too.

up
7 users have voted.
johnnybud's picture
Kraken

How bad are the pixels?

up
13 users have voted.
Scuba diver

So if i wait a bit, oculus will fix the problems and then it should work correctly and you dont need to do anything?

up
8 users have voted.
dpmcalli's picture
Sea admiral

Yeah its a combination of Oculus fixing their SDK and the Devs releasing an update to WoD support it. Its still early days at the moment.

up
12 users have voted.
dpmcalli's picture
Sea admiral

When you get your DK2 guys, check out the new Ocean Rift Demo. It has ative DK2 support as its built with the 0.4 SDK. Also they've really nailed the feel of diving IMO, it feels much better than WoD at this stage. They have a procedural animation system so the animals look amazing in motion. WoD could learn a lot from this demo for sure.

http://llyrie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/ocean-rift-demo-for-dk2.html

up
8 users have voted.
Groovy Monster's picture
Triton

Well I would imagine the WoD devs will certainly be looking at it for sure. Procedural animation system? That sounds pretty interesting!

up
7 users have voted.
Scuba diver

Can someone please help me to get this running in DK2. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I cannot get it to display properly in the Rift. All I am seeing is my desktop in the rift. Could someone explain step by step what I need to do to run it from a neutral desktop?
That would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS I have followed the steps above. It didnt work for me.

up
7 users have voted.
Scuba diver

same for me.thanks

up
6 users have voted.
Dive Bomber's picture
Kraken

Guys with trouble getting the game to run on the rift screen, you can add a launch option into steam for the game. Add in the text box -adapter 1 (or 2) this indicates which display to force the game to run on.

up
6 users have voted.
johnnybud's picture
Kraken

Great post!

up
5 users have voted.
Zidelatortue's picture
Scuba diver

It does not work on my Pc. Rift stay in Windows.
Each step are scrupulously respected.
:'(

up
11 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

Make sure to check the new official WoD Oculus Rift Guide:
http://divegame.net/node/104580

up
5 users have voted.
pierrox's picture
Thanks for all the fish

Yesterday night I had a great experience with my Oculus Rift DK2, I played for 3 hours and it was really awesome ! I have my DK2 since 2 days and I have some problems with Elite Dangerous but no problems with WoD. I liked a lot already but now I love WoD. It's too nice ! :)
Thanks for this great game ! ;)

up
4 users have voted.
dpmcalli's picture
Sea admiral

Yeah since the updates you don't need to touch the services. Just follow the guide posted Richard. Once thing Ill add though is to get Direct mode working on AMD hardware, at the moment Im having to add -force-d3d11 as a launch parameter. This is in pretty much all Rift games not just WoD and should hopefully be resolved in the next SDK.

up
6 users have voted.
Dive Bomber's picture
Kraken

Just did the Lockheed dive in the rift, absolutely awesome. On a side note, that dive gives me the best performance, 75fps pretty constant, nice and smooth

up
5 users have voted.
Lafrules's picture
Sea admiral

just got my DK2 2 days ago. works no problem with this game. i must say playing it on my computer screen it was a ok game for a few hours. but now playing it in VR its a whole different game. its almost as relaxing as diving for real. I love it and look forward for more level. VR is the way to go for this game for sure. Looks really good. just if the dolphins and shark could be a bit more fluid in there movement it would be even more realistic. great game in VR!

up
4 users have voted.
Krutaan's picture
Shark whisperer

Can't wait for my DK2 to arrive. The wait has been way too long.

up
5 users have voted.
FXTC's picture
Scuba diver

I have problems to get the DK2 with direct mode to run. Extended mode is no problem, but when i start the game with direct mode the game starts on the monitor and not on the rift.
I use the DK2 with Runtime 0.4.2.
Any ideas?

up
4 users have voted.
Dive Bomber's picture
Kraken

Works on both extended and direct for me, although with direct it always displays the mirror on the monitor also

up
5 users have voted.
Scuba diver

Kudos to the Devs. Your game is the first that I haven't had issues with on Rift DK2!

up
4 users have voted.
doorofsouls's picture
Need for speed-boat

can't wait for the consumer version!

up
4 users have voted.
Sea admiral

"I have problems to get the DK2 with direct mode to run. Extended mode is no problem, but when i start the game with direct mode the game starts on the monitor and not on the rift.
I use the DK2 with Runtime 0.4.2.
Any ideas?"
I have the same Problem..
Any solution?

up
2 users have voted.
Dive Bomber's picture
Kraken

Are you sure it's not just mirroring on the monitor?

up
2 users have voted.
Sea admiral

Yes def.
I switched to direct app Access and start it with direct dk2.
No Adapter Option and i set up an Profile.
Does not matter with Adapter 1 it works as expand Desktop.

up
2 users have voted.
Dive Bomber's picture
Kraken

Well, for the record I still use extended as there is no obvious improvement when using direct.

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I ordered DK2 yesterday so I am a complete noob about OR, so I just wanted to ask :

What is the difference between "direct" and "extended" ?

up
4 users have voted.
Dive Bomber's picture
Kraken

The difference is this;
Extended Mode uses the Rift like a second monitor, however most dk2 compatible software will still detect your DK2 and send the picture to it in this mode.
Direct HMD Access Mode should switch on the DK2 and display to it when compatible software is launched.

For the record, extended mode has the most compatibility atm.

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Thank you for the answer !

up
3 users have voted.
bakman's picture
Scuba diver

New SDK/runtime (0.4.3) has been released by Oculus and I read that a lot of games/demos are broken (again) when installing this update, does this apply to WoD too ? The new version should fix a lot of judder and latency issues, so would be interesting for WoD as well. I will not update just yet.

up
1 user has voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

Jeroen, our VR programmer is currently on holiday, but he will definitely implement the latest sdk once he's back.

Ps. Haven't tried the latest oculus update yet - will give it a go tomorrow.

up
0 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I think I did : I received my ordk2 the day before yesterday and I think I have last update but I can't be sure, I think I downloaded the latest.

Of course, I don't have comparative Intel so I can only say that my version works, whichever it is.

So this is the most pointless message on this forum :p

But allow me this : I just couldn't resist to play wod as soon as I had the oculus rift and I must say... Oh my !

I never, never had an experience so incredible in my entire life ! I must say that before using the oculus rift, the game was fun and well done but I find it was quickly boring when playing sandbox, even if I came back to the game several times per week because it is already good.

But with the Oculus rift... I can't leave the game, it's impossible ! Even if the framerate is dropping, the feeling is just so impressive ! I going on the top of a wreck and watching more than ten meter down is just magical ! Following two sharks almost side by side is just life changing !

This game is just a new one with oculus rift. You did the best work possible in the distance feeling.

I thank you very much for that.

up
2 users have voted.
Jobione's picture
Aye aye captain!

can't wait !!

up
4 users have voted.
Krutaan's picture
Shark whisperer

It would be great if we were able to swim in one direction and look in another. As it is now, if you swim forward and look down you swim down, which can be annoying sometimes.

up
2 users have voted.
Lafrules's picture
Sea admiral

I agree especially for the ones with a dk2 I know we are not the majority but being able to look around without swimming where we look would be nice

up
1 user has voted.
tacos's picture
Diving buddy

I would like to +1 this

This game has huge potential for me. I love to dive, but living in Colorado.. the best I can do is the Aquarium without going out of state.... SO

This with the rift is amazing. I'm really impressed and can't wait to see where this goes.

There is a few issues, but I'm sure those will be resolved as the game matures...
- The performance is a biggie. I have a pretty beefy system (16gb ram, Core I5-4690k, GTX-780 SC and a Samsung 1TB SSD) and I'm seeing some pretty icky framelag. This can make the experience a bit sick. Again, I realize this is a work in progress, so this is more a mention than a complaint :)

- I think moving where look may help with the nausea, but on the flip side, it makes it more difficult to explore. I for one want to get a "hang glider" setup inside so I can be in the natural diving position :) Then again.. I want a 3d treadmill and a full motion simulator.. I <3 the rift

- This is a pipe dream but would be cool to hook it to an xbox kinect or leap motion sensor... I know I'm so far away from the core here, but would be neat

I'm going to show my dad soon, he's a diver, this may force him to get a rift :)

up
2 users have voted.
rojoyinc's picture
Need for speed-boat

OTHER GAME - I hear that Lunar Flight is the ultimate experience for OR. check it out. Good game
(sim)

up
2 users have voted.
tacos's picture
Diving buddy

Elite Dangerous is really, really slick as well.. but you have to have a flight controller (like a Saitek) to really enjoy it. It sucks horridly with an xbox 360 controller.

up
0 users have voted.

I have Elite, and love that game, ( don't attack me when faction wars come out buddy;) I wish I had the funds to do the controller and the Oculus Rift headset

up
4 users have voted.
NotIrish's picture
Thanks for all the fish

I cant wait to get Oculus Rift to play this on it :D

photo dc83f94e-a067-43de-90ec-c61dfd64ebe6_zps6164303d.png

up
3 users have voted.
Thanks for all the fish

im with you on this notirish

up
1 user has voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

I have the Oculus DK2 since a few days and the diving with it is AWESOME :)

To me the best and most comfortable way to use the DK2 is the following:
- using DK2 as extended monitor but not as primary one
- starting steam WOD with launchoption -adapter 1 "choosing option Play with Oculus Rift Extend DK2" and the game starts only on the DK2 at a nice FPS rate and you still have your main monitor running as primary! :)

Playing it in directmode works but FPS are unplayable low...

up
2 users have voted.

Mna I just watched two videos because of Anahita and Tacos comments; one on WOD, and another on Elite: Dangerous. I must have one now!

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Sorry :D

Pages