S.S Yongala Expedition: Wreck Map, Pics and FeedBack

up
7 users have voted.
Lafrules's picture
Sea admiral

nice map i just went through it. it looks really promising. the things that bugs me right now are the shark and fishes. they look nice but some a really robotic in their movement but otherwise nice map better than what i was expecting

up
9 users have voted.
Phena's picture
Need for speed-boat

We are working on higher detailed fish animations. These won't be released in the near future but are definitely coming!
up
3 users have voted.

We don't doubt about it!
Keep continue this great work!

up
7 users have voted.

I just want to say thank you again,
You guys killed me with this update.... I keep wanting to go back in.

Cheers!
raymalone

up
3 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

haha, thanks!
up
4 users have voted.

It's even better than I expected...

up
4 users have voted.

Yeah, very promising for the alpha and betha release, seeing this is stil kinda pre - alpha game.

The good thing also is that it is expandle without limit's!!!

So as long as the community make money for the developers, we don't have to worry it dissapears. Keep up the good work!!!!!!

up
3 users have voted.
Groovy Monster's picture
Triton

Hey, I'm new to this game and so have only dived this wreck a couple of times so far, but one thing I'm wondering about is what is the scale of the game's version compared to the real thing? I mean, does exploring it in the game actually give you a correct sense of its physical scale IRL? Just how accurate and realistic is it?

up
9 users have voted.

It should be scaled realistically, but I've never been down to the real Yongala so I can't really be sure. Sometimes the scaling looks a little off, but I guess that's because I'm using a screen instead of the rift I'll post a picture of what I mean in a couple of hours to show you what I mean.

And welcome to the forums! =D

Edit:

When looking at it sideways it looks like a person won't be able to walk underneath these structures when walking the deck. But if my character can stand there, that must mean the scaling is correct. I just think it's of because we are supposed to be wearing the screen directly in front of our eyes (rift) not at arms length.

Edit 2: keep in mind characters are taller now than they were 100 years ago ;-)

up
2 users have voted.

Some of the pipes that hang off the wreck, the ones with the pulleys on them, look like they should be around 2 or 3 inches diameter, but I took a selfie with one sticking through my body and it was almost as round as me. So I am unsure about the scale. It feels pretty right when swimming around though.

up
4 users have voted.
Dreadwroth's picture
Thanks for all the fish

Here's my album for the first wreck...
http://imgur.com/a/zdXDm/all
Man that is a fun place to just chill and swim around, you guys have really helped me get over my fear of the deep open ocean, so next time I go visit my relatives in California I am probably going to harass them to take me diving! :D

up
5 users have voted.
Zayl's picture
Shark whisperer

I realy love this wreck, but i cant wait for the bismarck to come :p

up
2 users have voted.

Fantastic read

raymalone

up
4 users have voted.
major83chip's picture
Shark whisperer

looks great can't wait to explore

up
3 users have voted.

It's a great location, though it still needs a LOT of work. Way more fish schools of various sizes, more fish varieties (both swimming and those the stick to the bottom), more marine animals of various types, tons more coral colonies (actually, pretty much every rock surface should be literally covered in all kinds of different coral groupings), etc. Just more of every that would make the location come alive like the real area. Oh, and fixing the various graphical glitches I made note of in my forum post on that subject.

up
3 users have voted.
Groovy Monster's picture
Triton

Yeah, as far as the fish life around the wreck in the video, obviously there are a TON more! But then, I'm not really sure how much of that can be (feasibly) done in the game without slowing framerates to a crawl. I'm certainly curious, though, just how much they think they can add now after the latest AI optimizations they've been mentioning. Wonder how much is really possible?

up
3 users have voted.
Zbuffer's picture
Sea admiral

The question is: what will be the limit - the AI or the rendering...?
If the AI is the limit then they can use OpenCL to calculate it in a highly parallel manner on the GPU or GPU/CPU combined. This is already done for crowd simulations.

up
13 users have voted.
up
2 users have voted.

Nice!
Did'nt found yet that Second class toilet!

up
0 users have voted.

I think I found it but I don't know the position of it anymore to find it again :(

up
3 users have voted.

After watching this dive video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdxKMTSgx8) of the wreck from 2013 (it starts with a bit of history as well), the area needs ten times more aquatic life and a bit more sunlight penetrating down to it. It's not sunken very deep, so that area is quiet bright. Oddly, it's much more murkier down near the bottom of the wreck compared to the upper half. Concerning fish, several Giant Queensland Gropers, lots of Jacks, a Giant Trevally, some Black Blotched Fantail Rays and a large White-spotted Eagle Ray are shown in the video amongst the thousands other tiny fish. These large fish need to be included into our wreck area. Plus, the whole thing needs way, way more coral. It should be totally encrusted in it, like in the video. This film is really good at showing the names of the various fish that ought to be swimming around our wreck. The Hawksbill Turtle in the game should have a swimming route that takes it into the ship areas at times. The one that hangs around the real wreck does this a lot.

Here's another great dive video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKxw6MOBMsM). It's 34 mins. and gives excellent detail to the ship, although it's hard to get your bearings due to the continuously ever-changing viewpoint. I also noticed that the exhalation bubbles sound after the air intake is much louder and longer. I do not recall hearing this in the game.

up
3 users have voted.
Dreadwroth's picture
Thanks for all the fish

When I was just diving this wreck, I saw some weird glowing lights off in the distance, I presume they were some weird Unity bug or something.

up
1 user has voted.

Next time could you check your dive computer and see if it is in the direction of the raft? Because you can almost always see the waves hit the barrels of the raft I noticed. These look like 4 white dots off in the distance

up
2 users have voted.
Dreadwroth's picture
Thanks for all the fish

Ohhhhhh that must be it, ok no underwater ufos then lol.

up
13 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Just some more random images

up
0 users have voted.

How did you make that last one? It looks like you've tilted the camera, it looks really nice

up
1 user has voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Nothing special, just a 90% right rotation. Thanks :)

up
1 user has voted.

it adds to the scene really well. Thumbs way way up :)

up
1 user has voted.

I feel pretty stupid now hahaha, yet a stroke of pure genius to give it a twist like that

up
4 users have voted.

I really love this map. There are some glitches here and there but so far spent most time on it because there is a lot of stuff to explore outside the wreckage

up
1 user has voted.

I've pretty much covered every glitch I can find in my "[IMAGES] Yongala Wreck Glitch Photos" thread in the "Bugs, hardware & software issues" forum. You can view it here: http://www.divegame.net/node/55983. Everyone knows how thorough I am. :)

up
2 users have voted.

Found another excellent video for future updates on the wreck via lighting, fish, design, etc. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6NUhxEqkWQ. There really is a lot of aquatic life missing from our wreck, especially the rays you put in the U-352 area. Two of them needed to be scouting around and on the ship for food like in the video, though they need to be much smaller. And that giant Grouper is a must have at our location.

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

This is a great video, thanks for the share !

I love the massive amount of fishes and the darker point of view. (the settings of the camera shows almost what we see on the map !)

up
0 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

What are the small red rings that run in a line along the upper hull side of Yongala meant to be? Are they coral or some kind of plant?

up
0 users have voted.
djigivara's picture
Poseidon

nice pictures...

Chicago5Over

up
0 users have voted.
djigivara's picture
Poseidon

This will be great Arts can t wait...

Chicago5Over

up
1 user has voted.
Razer's picture
Need for speed-boat

:)

up
3 users have voted.
RevanXXXIII's picture
Aye aye captain!

Yongala is an amazing map!

up
4 users have voted.
Diving buddy

I dived this wreck a couple of days ago IRL. Couple of things that might be interesting - the glowing light might be from the ODAS buoy that sends the meteorology info back to land - i did it during the day so no lights.
When you do your safety stop you can hear what can only be described as an old school modem which must come from that same buoy.
The sea life around the wreck is fantastic, and very large. This is because it is a no fishing zone and also the only structure around for miles, and gives the sea life a good place to ride the currents for lazy swims. Descending you see many great trevally. Massive batfish can be seen in cleaner stations with their mouths and gills wide open as cleaner fish swim in and out of their gills cleaning them - very cool to watch.
While down, we were about 3 feet away from a 3m~ bull shark, it was very chilled out - probably because they were very well fed on the abundant sea life around the wreck. We saw two of them, or possibly the same one and different times. The ones we saw were cruising the keel and bow of the Yongala. One of the guys on our boat saw one at his safety stop.
The dive is large, you can pretty much go from bow to stern and back to ascend, depending on your depth - about 24m is a good depth to see an overview of the entire wreck.
As it is a marine grave, there are no penetrations, but the wide spaces where the holds were, and the angle of the deck mean that you can see inside without penetrating.
I had a great time diving it, would be interesting to see what it is like in this game. The pencil map posted earlier looks very good.

up
2 users have voted.
GwanFather's picture
Need for speed-boat

Would love to dive this wreck in real life :)

up
0 users have voted.
Diving buddy

Very interesting thank you for making the article useful for me
New information for you :
1. Jasa SEO
2. Jasa Pembuatan Website

Pages