Restricted Progression verses full freedom. (Ever blue vr endless ocean)

up
2 users have voted.

This was going to originally be a response to my utility vr cosmetic item thread but kind of morphed into its own subject.

The thing that I liked about every blue that was missing from endless ocean was at the start of the game you start off with crap fins, a dented tank and a ripped wet suit. You couldn’t go very fast, or stay down very long. But as you explored the shallows, learned how to play and made money off of finding change in the sand you would buy better equipment that allowed you to go deeper longer and hunt for bigger better treasure, you go from selling bottle caps from the beach to raiding sunken cruise ships for chandeliers and jewelry. This made the game not only pretty but gave it a great feel of progression and accomplishment when you finally did get all the best equipment or finally did get to the abyss to see the deep sea creatures.

But this does bring up problems, unlike endless ocean were you could basically jump in unrestricted and do what you want, when you want and were you want. Having a level or state system would mean limiting and restricting what you can do, you have to grind threw the low level stuff to get to the more interesting stuff. It gives you great freedom but I think it takes away the games sense of progression. That’s why I liked ever blue more than endless ocean, every blue was both pretty and had a sense of progression, it was a pretty game, ever blue was just pretty, it gave you everything from the beginning, you could buy better equipment but it didn’t really do anything but change the color of your model. Now that I think about it I don’t think I ever ran out off air in either of the endless ocean games, they might as well not have had one as it never goes down. Endless ocean 1-2 were more of a movie then a game for me….actually now that I think back I think they did offer air upgrades in endless ocean 2 but again you never run out of air on level one so there no point in buying it.

I would prefer the game with more RPG elements but I can see how that might not be for everyone so who likes which play style and why?

up
6 users have voted.

I like the idea of starting with limited abilities and then progressing as you play the game. I think the sense of achievement would be one of the best parts of the game. I think it would also be good, but certainly not essential, to model it on RL dive certification. eg start as beginner, do certain missions to gain your open water cert, then do the next level missions to become an advanced diver etc. The further you go the more missions you can take on, the deeper you can dive, the better you air consumption is etc.

But then it would also be good to have a "just dive in and play anything" type mode as an option. I am sure there are plenty of people who want to dive right in.

up
5 users have voted.

I'd definitely like the ability to progress and earn better equipment that allows me to explore even further etc etc. More air for longer diving periods and such. But it would be nice to be able to just dive in straight away without any form of limitations as well.

But for me, I think I much prefer the RPG elements and having to progress.
And as Krisper said, you could always just offer players an option on how they wish to play the game. So either play a game where everything is unlocked, or play it with progression ^^

Though from what I can tell, I think the devs are aiming more towards the side of progression than just diving right in =]

up
3 users have voted.

Whenever I play open games like that I remmember back to when I had made a private server on my computer to run wow, I would load a new character at level 255, end game raid gear and 0 cool down time and just run threw all the major citys to blow up everything, or go threw the end game raids and and just shoot solid beams of pyroblases at the raid bosses, I had the freedome to teleport were I wanted when I wanted how I wanted, it was deffinetly fun having no limits but in the end the fun was short lived as non of your accomplishments ment anything, oh you could hold down this button for 3 sec to kill this boss? Good job.

up
3 users have voted.

Yup. I did the same thing hehe ^^ Gotta love having your own little WoW server to do whatever you want <3

But yes. It's fun progressing!

up
4 users have voted.
Scuba diver

endless ocean had this also? I think they got a good level where it wasn´t to obstructing I am not a big fan of grinding.

up
2 users have voted.
Sinakar Mehti's picture
Need for speed-boat

I am missing development / progression in WoD. It is currently focussed on exploration. Not bad in itself, but it means that once you know the maps there is little incentive for further dives.