Question: What's the biggest thing non-divers don't know?

up
2 users have voted.

I am not a diver, just a dreamer, so I'm curious if all the divers out there could share the tidbit of information that just surprised the heck out of you about diving, once you got your certification and got going, or even a thing that non-divers never seem to understand.

up
7 users have voted.

Hmmm, maybe that you use more o2 the deeper you go so your dive is planned by the deepest point on your rought and that point is assumed to be the depth the whole dive is calculated at.

So let’s say it’s an hour long dive and 50 mins of that dive is done in 20 feet of water, but for ten minutes you drop down to 40 feet, your suppose to calculate the whole hour at 40 feet.

There is also Nitrogen narcosis which is you can basically get drunk off the nitrogen in your air from being deep enough.

I think most people have some concept of the bends.

thats all that really comes to mind off the top of my head.

up
0 users have voted.

That nitrogen narcosis is crazy, I hadn't heard of it before coming here. I didn't know you use more oxygen, deeper down, either!

up
4 users have voted.
Tony the TIGER SHARK's picture
Poseidon

Never ever hold your breath while diving. If you do I can be fatal.

up
1 user has voted.

Whaaaaaaaaat?!
Holding your breath can be fatal anywhere (ok more like someone holding it for you), but I am guessing that's not what you mean. Is this an air pressure thing?

up
5 users have voted.
up
4 users have voted.
SharkBait's picture
Poseidon

Never ascend faster than your smallest bubbles.

as far as what surprised me was the true feeling of flying.

up
1 user has voted.

The flying feeling is one of the things that make me sad I have never gone scuba diving.

up
7 users have voted.

That you cant take a flight up to 24 hours after diving depending on how many dives you did...

That the air gets compresed under water, so the deeper you go the less time you got (air time)

That mastering neutral bouyancy can be quite hard hehehe...

That a narcosis is similar to being drunk but under water, and can lead you to do crazy things like dropping your reg.

That you can get the water out of your mask being under water, even if it is full of water.

That you got to do safety stops.

That you got a no decompresion time that should try not to go over, so you are not only limited by the air time, but also by the no deco time. If you go over it you might need to do extra (and longer) safety tops.

That safety stops are boring but necessary lol...

I´m an IT Manager, Programmer, Diver, Magician, Chef looking forward to write my first book, would love to become a Private Pilot, learning to flight in simulators. Living life at beautiful Barcelona 100 meters from the sea. Keep in touch and Rock On!

up
0 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Short comment: but what George just wrote, just that.

up
3 users have voted.
SharkBait's picture
Poseidon

removing my mask underwater then clearing it was my biggest problem for some reason.

up
0 users have voted.
Poseidon

You should try a discover scuba class to see if you like it. They are offered at your local dive shop and done in a pool. Then you can feel like you are flying too.

up
10 users have voted.

The above comments most of the things I would add, on a different tact I was surprised how easy it was to pass the courses and how under trained divers really are. To become certified is pretty easy and only takes a couple of days. At this point you have crammed all of the theory so you pass the test, and you have completed a couple of dives. Then you are certified, but for most people it will really take a lot more dives before they are competent divers.

Not sure of the statistics, but from observing dive shops in my area, they certify lots of people, everyone who does the course becomes certified. Then they have them at their most enthusiastic and sell lots of dive gear. But the number of people who actually move on and continue to dive is really small. I would guess it would be as low as 1%.

My point being, don't become to complacent, many people forget that what we do is serious stuff, and that just because you have completed an Advanced diving course does not make you an advanced diver, it takes experience too.

up
0 users have voted.
SharkBait's picture
Poseidon

I agree, Talking to my LDS, he has a box of c-cards that have never been picked up from people that passed the class.

up
3 users have voted.

our school offers a summer course that cost $3000 and you basicky do nothing but dive and map reefs every day, all day for the semmester. you also have to memmorize all the local plants/fish/coral ect by sientific name.

but by the end of the program assumeig you pass you get your open water, night diver, scientific diver (not sure if its just for UH or all univercitys) , rescue diver and i think a few others.

up
3 users have voted.

Sounds like a great course, $3000 might be a bit much for a lot of families, but if you can afford it I think it would be an excellent way to start diving.

up
2 users have voted.
Kraken

"What's the biggest thing non-divers don't know?"

If we knew that we wouldn't not know it.

up
0 users have voted.

Ah but becoming a virtual diver is a sort of middle ground, which makes it ok to tell us :)

up
4 users have voted.
Poseidon

I just got certified last year and there is a ton of stuff that I did not know about diving. I agree with Krisper, there is almost no one that could not pass the class, but I don't think that I am ready to dive without Instruction yet. I am doing as many pool dives as I can during the winter to become more comfortable with the equipment and my abilities. Yes I did start buying all the gear right after classes just like he said.

up
4 users have voted.

I think that is great that you are taking the time to become more comfortable in the water. Most new divers usually head off for club dives with a bunch of people they hardly know, and it can be pretty stressful.

up
0 users have voted.

Nice thread! Here are many thing I didn't know. Thanks for the many info's.

up
1 user has voted.

I am glad I posted it, I've learned a lot too!

up
0 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

For a none diver , this thread was very interesting. Thanks for the info.!

up
1 user has voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Think the biggest thing would be it's more difficult to get down, rather then the ease at which one can get up.

up
1 user has voted.

As George said: boyancy!
When you let the air of your vest you sink.
When you fill the vest you go up.
Sounds easy;)
But to stay stable ("neutral") in a certain depth is quite hard for beginners.
You shoot up and down linke a champaign cork and in the next second you sink much to fast:D

up
1 user has voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon
up
1 user has voted.
Hornet85's picture
Need for speed-boat

Most none scuba divers i talk to allways says it feels so hard scuba diving alot to think abut and worry abut all the time and no relaxing. And i will say scuba diving is the most relaxing think i can do. strap on the gear, jump in to the water and just be yourself and feel free! And if i strap on the CCR then i dont have any sounds but the ocean, and thats just fantastic!

photo ECCD2_zpsdrajvapi.jpg