Hi there, How many of you are divers in RL?

up
4 users have voted.
Lafrules's picture
Sea admiral

well there is many pros to it.
- first it is much easier to be steamline in the water. not that it is terribly hard with backmount but you can really feel the difference if you try to dive on your back or sideways. super easy. the feeling is different too because you don't have anything on your back.
- it is much better to get in the water especially for people with back injuries because you can just handcarry your tank to the water, clip them to your rig and go. and on a boat you can just jump in the water with your rig and have someone on the boat hand you over your tanks. so basically you never have to walk with two tanks on your back again.
- Bubble checks and troubleshooting are much simpler when you can see your valves
- you generally dive with two tanks (although it is possible to dive with one) so you have a separate redundancy air source and also more air to dive.
-No need for bands and manifolds, all you need is two matching tanks. L/R valves aren't necessary, but nice to have

Cons would be that
- it require to buy more equipment if you are not equip for double already because you need a specific harness for sidemount, two first and second stage, probably different hose size that you have ...
- it might require some adjustment at first but worth it at the end for me ( and more and more people apparently too)

up
1 user has voted.

Thanks for the explanation. I am very interested and may look into it some time in the future. I bit short of money at the moment.

up
3 users have voted.
1stSSF Foxhound's picture
Thanks for all the fish

Great lakes in Canada?
This is where I got certified (naui) back in 1998. There is many wrecks to explore there. The one is had fun on is near the thousand islands area of Brockville city. This wreck is not deep and is an old wood ship lying upside down. Now with the current, you make your way from a tiny island using an anchor chain down the the bow of the wreck. Then when ready, you release the chain and float about 1 foot above the hull floating with current to the stern. Kind of feels like a dream. This would have been extra awesome if it were down in the blue waters of the caribean sea with the variety of fish and underwater living organisms and plants but was cool nonetheless.

up
2 users have voted.
joris2110's picture
Scuba diver

I am going to dive in france maybe but now i am just a diver in the pool :D i dived 4 times outside

up
3 users have voted.
Galactic Kegger's picture
Shark whisperer

Hi all,

New pledge and PADI Rescue diver here:
- OW/AOW Diver (Undersea Adventures @ Monastery)
- Deep Diver (Undersea Adventures @ Santa Catalina)
- Night Diver (Undersea Adventures @ Lovers Cove)
- Altitude Diver (Undersea Adventures @ Lake Tahoe)
- U/W Photographer (Coral Kings Dive Shop @ Midway Island)
- Equipment Specialty (Coral Kings Dive Shop @ Midway Island)
- Wreck Diver (Kwajalein Scuba Club @ Truk Island)
- Rescue Diver (Diver's Isle @ Lake Whitney)

I am a local SAR volunteer, and up until recently have been actively volunteering as a rescue diver for the swimming portions of regional triathlon competitions. Unfortunately injuries plus owning and operating an international firm have pretty much curtailed my outdoor activities for awhile.

Have been a nerd though my whole life and am anxious to see how this game plays ... especially with the Oculus Rift (I plan on getting the DK2 shortly.)

Anyway, looking forward to some virtual bottom time with y'all. Go Poseidon!

up
0 users have voted.

Welcome Galactic Kegger, great to see another experience diver joining up. I hope those injuries recover soon so you can get back to diving.

up
3 users have voted.
Purity_GF82's picture
Shark whisperer

J ai mon brevet PADI Advanced open water diver et je trouve qu il relate bien l ambience sous marine mais dommage de ne pas pouvoir en essayé un peux plus^^ En tous cas la visibilité en eaux est plus clair qu au lac Léman^^

up
3 users have voted.
Purity_GF82's picture
Shark whisperer

Brevet Suisse Padi Advanced open water depuis 2008 mais une centaine de plongée au Lac Léman, Les pire conditions pour s entrainé... J ai hâte de me faire plaisir en eaux claire^^

up
4 users have voted.
Scuba diver

Did my PADI certification about 10 years ago but have only done about 4 dives since because I have no buddy ;( and haven't gone to many locations where there are good dive sites. I'm trying to persuade my 15 year old brother to give it a go but I think he is a bit scared. Anyone have any tips to persuade someone to get in to diving?

up
1 user has voted.

Invite him to WOD? He might get the dive bug then.

up
1 user has voted.

Hi guys,

I just pre-ordered and am new to the WoD community. I'm a steam user and couldn't wait on the release there :p

I'm a real live diver as well, I'm a PADI certified Open Water Diver and my buddy (Remus489) is a Padi certified Rescue Diver. Now The game finished installing so I'll catch you guys and girls later!!!!!!!!!

up
0 users have voted.

Hey Corsaxx welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay!

up
2 users have voted.
winston113's picture
Scuba diver

Well I've been diving for 3 years now, and am a PADI Advance Open Water Diver.
I'm saving up money for the Rescue Diver course :)

I was on a wreck once (55m), and it was really cool.

up
0 users have voted.

Welcome Corsaxx and winston113. Good to see more divers joining the community. 55m, that is a deep dive. What do you guys think about WOD, are you looking forward to a simulation mode, where real dive physics will come into play, or would you prefer the arcade style that is being developed first. Personally I see WOD as a great opportunity to build a dive simulator that could be used by dive instructors.

up
1 user has voted.
Ganjo's picture
Shark whisperer

Hey there,

I will try my first dive adventure this year in Germany :)
This is where im going to dive: http://www.tauchrevier-gasometer.de/

I'm so excited about that I can't describe it^^

up
4 users have voted.

Hey Ganjo,

You're the one that hopped in the pool with me yesterday. Welcome to the community!!! And thx for joining me, u were the first player I've went under with in WOD.

@ Krisper I can't wait for a serious simulatioin mode, like doing a deep wreck dive with deco stops and all... I've also tried the free eDiving wich is basicly a pretty neat diving simulation to plan future dives at diving @ in game diving sites wich all truly exist. But there is not really a goal in the program besides swimming around exploring.

I'm also hoping for some neat multiplayer simulator. Like for instance where 3 or 4 dive teams go investigate a new wreck.

First 2 divers (team1) will drop the shot line and when it's attached they raise a yellow balloon making clear to the divers at the surface the shot line is attached to the wreck. The first team starts exploring and explores the outside. At the same time the second team of divers start theire decent. By the time they reach the bottem the first team meets them at the shot line, pass on information (for ex written on a white board with under water markers) and continues where the first team had to leave. The first team now starts ascending. During this time team 4 is busy with making the deco stations at the shot line so team 1 can decompress at 20m and 5m (just examples) by the time team 3 is ready to go in and descend they meet team 1 at the deco stop, by the time team 3 is down they can start investigating the inside of the wreck as team 2 will be finished investigating the outside and will have found a few entrances to enter the wreck.

To be short, like it's done in real life :D

Edit: @ Ganjo again: I've checked out the diving location you are going to use for your certification, and I must say it looks like a great indoor location. It ain't very deep with 13m but it looks like a very realistic copy of a real open water location. Here in Belgium we have Nemo 33 ( http://www.nemo33.com/ ) wich is 34m deep but far from a realistic diving environment. The water is pool clear and u can't use yer own gear and so on. Next winter when I occasionally dive indoor to keep going, I'm definatly going to visit this indoor location!!!!

up
1 user has voted.
Ganjo's picture
Shark whisperer

Hey Corsaxx,

It was as a honor for me to be the First person that dived with you! Kind of fun :)

Sounds Good that you're going to Check this location out. When I will try my First dive Ever there I could tell something about my First impressions :)

up
1 user has voted.

I love that team mission for the wreck exploration. I would really love to take part in something like that. I hope the devs take note and put it on their list.

up
3 users have voted.

If developers would give me a wreck site they developed, I can write scenario's for them with ease. My brain is filled with possible missions, story - or questlines and so on. I'm silently hoping for 2 - 3 main quest-lines.

1 for the solo ARCADE experience, filled with missions u can complete solo.

As solo diving is actually forbidden, the SIMULATER mode should have a quest line to do with a buddie.

Then I'm hoping they add the possibility to make a clan/guild wich would be a diving club in this game afcours. To get XP for the club u would have missions where u need 8 - 10 players online to complete em and can only be completed with a certain amount of members of the club. A mission for a club dive could be the one above.

For this dive u would need 6 tech - divers for the exploring, and 2 open water divers or maybe 2 recue divers to set up the deco stops and afcours to keep an eye on the pple deco'n in the water.

When I think about it, I've spent way to much play time in MMORPG's.....

up
0 users have voted.

Hi Corsaww!

You can write some scenario's/story/missions here if you want.
Dev. might get inspiration of one of them.

up
1 user has voted.
nztris's picture
Need for speed-boat

hi new pledge and i have PADI deep diver rescue search and recovery advanced open water and open water i have only dived out of New Zeland AND I HAVE 85 logged dives

up
5 users have voted.
Scuba diver

Hey fellow divers and non-divers! Advanced Open-Water, Nitrox, with a historian's knowledge of wrecks (but no wreck cert, weird? Totally.). Anyway, dove in warm and cold-ish water locales. Key Largo, FL, Crystal River and Rainbow, River FL. Also dove off North Carolina, so called Graveyard of the Atlantic. I see the game has a location for the U-352. Been there, done that, amazing dive, although mine was cut short. Nice to meet everyone!

up
0 users have voted.

Welcome to the forum and game scubasteve0719!

up
1 user has voted.

OW PADI here and have had the pleasure of diving wrecks with photos on another thread here..
also had fun diving in costarica and jamaica (but i dont remember the jamaica one hahaha)

cheers

raymalone

up
3 users have voted.
Scuba diver

PADI Rescue Diver w/Nitrox reporting in.

So glad to see a scuba game coming out and with Oculus Rift it should be an awesome experience!

up
2 users have voted.
Scuba diver

Don't do it a lot, but when I go on Holiday to Greece, I always go spear fishing with my dad.

up
2 users have voted.

Padi Open Water Diver.
But in recent years I'm more into Apnoe Freediving.

up
0 users have voted.

I made now my Advanced course at my friends from INMO divers in Dahab Sinai!

up
5 users have voted.
Diving buddy

getting certified as we speak.
then im gonna do the Acdvanced underwater course
and the im going to do the photography and videography courses!

up
1 user has voted.
titotrosper's picture
Scuba diver

i want to be a diver thats why i bought this game

photo WoDPicture15_07_2014_-_22_53_03_zps192e0b56.png

i am a male

up
2 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Hi There,

Welcome to the World of Diving forum. Nice picture you've made there.

One of the forum users made a tutorial for posting pictures,
perhaps there's some good info on that here: How to publish a photo on the Forum - Tutorial

Keep in mind if you make multiple post they might get removed including the XP points obtained.

Looking forwards to your future pictures!.

up
0 users have voted.

Welcome titotrosper, nice pic. I hope you enjoy the game.

up
5 users have voted.
Makik72's picture
Need for speed-boat

i am a diver for 4 years i have OWD, AOWD, and i am a dive master

up
2 users have voted.
griha's picture
Shark whisperer

2 days), it was amazing!!!

up
2 users have voted.
Tony the TIGER SHARK's picture
Poseidon

We Need a REAL LIFE DIVER badge

up
0 users have voted.

Diver since I was old enough to be certified. Have been certified by SSI and PADI. I really didn't need the PADI but around the world not everyone has heard of SSI so it gives me some street cred :P

up
2 users have voted.
HaZeR-TDI-ER's picture
Need for speed-boat

Extended Range(TDI), from Baikal :)

up
0 users have voted.

SSI Open Water, Wreck, Deep with Nitrox coming in the offseason.

From birth man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to the earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free. - Jacques Cousteau

up
3 users have voted.
DerHannes's picture
Need for speed-boat

Wow, so many real life divers! :O
I would really like to but with my little income I had to save some money during the next 20-30 years, I suppose.

up
3 users have voted.

It's really not as expensive as you would think. To purchase your "snorkeling set", rent your dive gear for class, and get open water certified is normally around $500. Then you can proceed to rent or purchase a decent set of used gear for $500ish as well, or new in the $1000 range(give or take deals, specials and gear quality obviously). I'm geared out and spend little more than tank fills and random new gadgets. I probably have $3000 in gear (but I have gear for both my wife and myself, as well as a full alternate air source setup).

Definitely look into it!

From birth man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to the earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free. - Jacques Cousteau

up
2 users have voted.
Shadow1991's picture
Shark whisperer

hey nice

up
5 users have voted.
tanstaafl's picture
Shark whisperer

Hi all, new backer here. Certified (NAUI Advance, SSI Wreck and Nitrox) but haven't been out for a couple of years due to some RL issues. Glad to find a way to scratch the itch somehow anyway.

up
3 users have voted.
unknownSOURCE07's picture
Need for speed-boat

Took scuba diving 1 and 2 my senior year of high school last year and this june i earned my open water and advanced diving license, since im going to college and diving is costly this game is the perfect place for me to feel that scuba diving adrenaline! especially with my oculus dk2! im in love

up
4 users have voted.
scubapro's picture
Aye aye captain!

I am Open Water Diver PADI certified, and mainly would dive cold water/low vis in the northeast USA: Rhode Island, Pennsylvania quarry dives and Canada/St Lawrence. It is certainly more fun to take underwater photos since digital cameras came out. Unfortunately, money has been limiting my dives the past few years. I get badly seasick so open ocean boat dives were very hard and I adapted to a lot of shore diving (also making New Jersey pretty much impossible).

I dream of someday diving clear water Caribbean coral reefs. This video game is a nice simulation but it is a bit disturbing to spend 2 hours on the bottom at 105 feet. I feel like I will run out of air at any time...

up
3 users have voted.
Need for speed-boat

My dream is to dive somewhere in the west keys

up
2 users have voted.
Scuba diver

this game is awesome more updates will be amazing

up
1 user has voted.
Need for speed-boat

ik cant wait!

up
3 users have voted.
Scuba diver

i have just started and it ish coooooooooooool

up
1 user has voted.
Need for speed-boat

how cool?

up
2 users have voted.
Scuba diver

my friend got it for me and it ish amazing of him to do that yayayaayayayayayayyafajhkdgfasfgblasgfbsehjlvfahsebfhgawgfbjkashgfkua

Pages