Elite Dangerous

up
7 users have voted.

Given the lack of an Off Topic or Other Games forum i'll ask here...

Is anyone else here a backer of Elite Dangerous?
Elite, the original Elite way back on the ZX Spectrum 48k, was the first game I truly became hooked on. The reasons for my infatuation have many parallels with World of Diving in fact, mainly the large procedurally generated game world just begging to be explored, the fact that I could go anywhere and do anything was so exciting and different from the incredibly linear games out at the time, it just blew me away.

So skip to a just over a year ago when I heard that Frontier where making an MMO version of the Elite I jumped at the chance to become a bacxker

I currently enjoying playing the Alpha of ED, which I have to say is fantastic, especially when played with the Oculus Rift.

Just wanted to know if anyone else here is along for the ride?

up
3 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Friend of mine convinced me to look into Elite dangerous.
After having read about it on wikipedia it caught my attention.

Nice to know there's already an alpha version out.
Having read your positive experience,
I'll check the price requirement to participate in the alpha / beta.

up
1 user has voted.
ahmbouth's picture
Poseidon

Elite Dangerous looks amazing, and can't wait to try it !!
BUUUUUUUUUUUT !!!!
the alpha is soooooooooooo expensive !! 240 euros ....come on !!!
now it's almost over, and it's time for the beta it's not 240 anymore, but still expensive.
I gave my money to Star Citizen, where you can have the alpha for just 32€ .

up
3 users have voted.

I bought Beta pre-order for 60 euros. Game so cool and magnificent that simply punches on nostalgia tears: ) I believe in developers! And especially the Elite "will tear" the StarCitizen "money-milker". Though it is a little different projects.

up
2 users have voted.

Alpha is coming to an end now and Beta is starting, so it's just gotten a whole lot cheaper, plus you have the added benefit of playing a game now which has been polished and honed by us Alpha backers :P

up
3 users have voted.
anikaiful's picture
Thanks for all the fish

Here be one ED'er, not Alpha though (as that was sold out), but 120's beta. Was kinda looking for Star Citizen too, but SC sounds/seems to go a bit too EvE'ish for my taste, and ain't touching it if sucha trend goes on.

up
4 users have voted.
Chris's picture
Sea admiral

I realize that I'm super late to this thread (whoops), but yes, I'm a backer of ED.

Excited!

Twenty percent cooler in ten seconds flat!
NKAWTG
IYAMYAS

up
4 users have voted.

Wing Commander, eat your heart out. Man, this game looks awesome. Watched the 35 min. Let's Play video on YT. Clearly the player was using an Oculus do to the visual head movement, but the graphics are top notch.

up
3 users have voted.
Killerkeys's picture
Scuba diver

I really should have got this game instead of elite dangerous

up
3 users have voted.

I just went and looked at the Elite Dangerous website after reading this thread and got quite excited about it....... Until I saw the price of £50.00 for a beta and the mention of commercial DLCs to come later. Sorry but if I'm paying £50.00 for a beta I do not expect to pay for DLC later. Then I looked on their 'Extras' page and they're charging money for different paint jobs on ships. ED looks like it's going to be a real money pit. Shame, it promises a lot of potential.

up
1 user has voted.

Never heard of it, until now.

Raptr Gamercard

up
4 users have voted.
ZigRiz's picture
Thanks for all the fish

I've just picked it up (I played the original back in the day) and loving it. I'm afraid it is keeping me away from WOD, but I will be back.

1st Class Diver yearning to have the time to dive again.
That's me on my profile pic diving the ZingDa in Bermuda just after we sank it !

up
4 users have voted.

I have been following this game for along time now. Just cant force myself to pay that much for it. Will wait for official release.

up
5 users have voted.

Official release in a few days.... I have purchased and been playing Elite: Dangerous Mercenary Edition for the last few weeks in order to practice combat. Its an awesome game !!!

up
2 users have voted.

To bad they bent over their backers and unapologetically screwed them, they swore up and down that offline play was going to be in it, from day one all the way up till launch, promised it in every post, interview, forum thread leading right up to the launch, then right at launch said oh btw that feature you all payed for and we promised you was still in it like just last week? Ya were not going to do that, also we knew we weren’t going to do that for a while but lied to you all anyways that it was still coming, oh and no you can’t have any refunds because of it, and if you talk about it in the forums we will ban you.

up
1 user has voted.

That sounds like a huge shit storm is coming towards them.

up
1 user has voted.

Came and went, they buried/banned the subject into oblivion, the subject has calmed down and is mostly forgotten because the devs come down hard on any mention of it and the white knights all swoop in to defend the devs. Just like many game forums it turned into one big circle jerk of fanboyism and white knighting, any post that isn’t praising them as the second coming or in any way critical or expressing come concern is immediately shouted down. “Not a true fan” “must be a troll” “only here because they are a hater” ect ect. Which is why I left the forums there, not only did the dev royally screw the backers they went full Nazi on the community now it’s just one big echo chamber of brown nosers. But who knows it’s been a while maybe it’s gotten better since that incident but I’m not holding my breath.

You see the same thing to a lesser extent on the star citizen forums, although there has been an uptick in negative feedback recently since the announcement of the FPS module being put on indefinite hold but usually it’s also just as bad, although the mods there are a lot better, although they too do their share of thread and topic burying when they don’t like the feedback.