Ask a Dev Thread

up
77 users have voted.

Hello all,

With the sudden influx of posts on these forums, which is in no small part due to the daily missions, it's easy for amazing questions to become lost. So I propose a thread where we can post our questions to the Devs and where they can answer.

This way the devs can easily find our questions, we can easily find their responses and newcomers can read up on the latest information, plus hopefully it was help prevent duplicate threads.

What do you think?

up
95 users have voted.

I'll get the ball rolling....

Has any thought about including bodily symptoms into the game such as oxygen narcosis or the bends?

up
67 users have voted.

And can you die in the game?

up
79 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

if you stay underwater to long without any air you will die.
up
51 users have voted.
Maphisto86's picture
Sea admiral

That's new to me. So you mean your character can drown!? Get the bends? That sort of thing? Geez . . . well if you sadly to succumb to the deep what is the re-spawn planned to be like? Do you simply go back to the last save point?

up
2 users have voted.
johnnybud's picture
Kraken

good question man

up
17 users have voted.
Mr.MoJo's picture
Thanks for all the fish

will there be a way to check your oxygen?

up
9 users have voted.
Razer's picture
Need for speed-boat

)

up
37 users have voted.
Kraken

I've never dived so I am asking this from genuine curiosity and from complete ignorance . . .

What happens when you get a stiffie in a wetsuit? Does it poke a hole through the material? Do fish start nibbling on the tip?

up
7 users have voted.
Coolwhip's picture
Scuba diver

Whaaaaaaaat??!?!

up
6 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

you swim on your back and pretend to be a Uboat

up
44 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

We will start out with a more entertainment style game, without these effects. For the simulator mode we will definitely include the symptoms.

up
15 users have voted.
adrian's picture
Scuba diver

soy nuevo, estoy en argentina, la única forma de empezar es pagando? la verdad q esos 20uss, aca es mucha plata para comenzar un juego que no se sabe si sera de interes...

[moderator][google translate]I'm new, I'm in Argentina, the only way to start is paying? q such 20uss truth, here is a lot of money to start a game it is not known whether it will be of interest ...

up
4 users have voted.
Juancho079's picture
Need for speed-boat

Dale. Son 200 pesos con tarjeta. Copate. Tomalo como una apuesta por un juego muy copado.
translation: c'on. Just 200 pesos with creditcard. You have to see it as a bet for a cool game

Juancho
PADI Instructor
www.h2obuceo.com

up
19 users have voted.
KarenB88's picture
Need for speed-boat

Will we eventually be able to choose between the modes? Would be cool to have the choice between a "hardcore sim" mode (where these effects and dangers apply) and a "freedom" mode (where it's all about the exploration and relaxation, without the danger element). Possibly, enable players to choose which effects are active at the beginning of a session, for a tailor-made diving experience.

up
2 users have voted.
Diving buddy

I like this idea.

up
1 user has voted.
johnnybud's picture
Kraken

yup was wondering same

up
8 users have voted.
johnnybud's picture
Kraken

Will there be an option to play entertainment style vs real life style?

up
3 users have voted.
ChickenMagma's picture
Need for speed-boat

for real can you make sharks attack you but not buddy sharks

up
3 users have voted.
Scuba diver

Please make these changes optional. I just got the game for the visual experience. I don't want to worry about oxygen or bends or going too deep. I just want to chill and look at things, I haven't even tried any challenges yet because I just don't care about them at this point. Just doing the initial challenges to unlock the maps was frustrating. I just want to be free, free to go where I want and do what I want to do. Without being hassled by the man.......LOL. (loose reference to the movie Wild Angels)

PostFatal

up
12 users have voted.
ищрвфт2211's picture
Scuba diver

yes

up
16 users have voted.
diving_owl's picture
Need for speed-boat

I like the idea of bodily symptoms, the more accurate the better. Perhaps for nitrogen narcosis it could start with the mild tunnel-vision symptom, which would worsen to the point of darkness. Further, you should have the possibility of somewhat increasing your tolerance for the symptoms and depth with experience. As for the bends, although I think it might be extreme for the game, a chamber-ride would be in order (hopefully not paid for by the player, but rather by the player's insurance, some sort of digital DAN for example). My initial interest in this game was for its realism, a way to dive away from water (something to do during extended surface intervals).

up
7 users have voted.
stezza's picture
Thanks for all the fish

I would love to see that sort of thing but maybe make it optional? Something you choose before you dive? Because some people wouldn't like it.

up
1 user has voted.
johnnybud's picture
Kraken

i agree optional

up
3 users have voted.
Scuba diver

I have a question, can my head tracking be separated from steering? The thing I like about my flight sim is that I can fly the direction I need to fly and still look all around without it affecting my heading. I'd like to do the same in this game. I'm a keyboard player and have to juggle mouse, w a s d, and head tracking, seems like they fight each other. I would think that this could be done perhaps with a few restrictions so you don't twist your head off or look in an impossible direction but still I'd like to look around without it changing my heading.

PostFatal

up
2 users have voted.
Rune's picture
Scuba diver

That had be a greate thing !

up
2 users have voted.
Scuba diver

Does anyone know how to get the reel out of the pipe on Diving Base missions

up
29 users have voted.
Shark whisperer

is there a scientific element to the game? i know, you can document species, but can you learn true facts about them? care info, there needs educational activities could be great to anyone interested in marine life.

up
37 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

You can photograph fishes in the game, by doing this you can complete your in-game Ocean-o-pedia library.
The Ocean-o-pedia does contain some basic information and facts about the fishes. We probably will make the Ocean-o-pedia editable for the community, so in time it could be used for educational activities.

up
31 users have voted.

I hope its not limited to fishes, i'd like to take pictures of deep sea black smokers and fauna and receive information on their real life counterparts. Same with historical wrecks.

up
22 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

noted!
up
12 users have voted.

Good thinking, i agree with you : )

up
10 users have voted.
Limes314's picture
Sea admiral

Yes!

up
10 users have voted.
diving_owl's picture
Need for speed-boat

I like the idea of real-life information from pictures taken in game, perhaps after surfacing (as if you were doing the research yourself, simulated). Although I am unaware of any place where black-smokers are within the reach of divers, it does bring up an interesting question about the addition of technical diving, perhaps as a mode that is beyond the "arcade-style" of the regular game, to simulate the difference between recreational and technical.

up
1 user has voted.
up
3 users have voted.
johnnybud's picture
Kraken

Do you unlock library option at a certain level? Or how do I start this? It shows as a lock now.

up
16 users have voted.
Makoto Nanaya's picture
Sea admiral

Oh, this just got stickied. Very nice. I had something I was curious about. After WoD goes beta, have you considered releasing the swimming pool as a demo? I think it'd help sales if prospective buyers could try out the game first, and the swimming pool sounds like the perfect place for a trial.

up
20 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

Well, the goal is to release the game in tiny parts, starting out with the swimming pool.
You can expect every few weeks code and art updates adding more and more diving functions and (!) area's to the pool.. or shall i say; Diving spots connected to the island ;-)

So after a while we can rename the prototype to demo. But for now its a prototype in development.

up
2 users have voted.
Makoto Nanaya's picture
Sea admiral

How interesting. It will be cool to see the world grow around us.

up
15 users have voted.

A huge danger when diving wrecks is a loss of vision caused by accidentally banging into rusticles etc, will this be present in the game? It could certainly add tension to the game, especially if your running low on Oxygen!

up
13 users have voted.

Yeah, and in caves too, stirring up silt is a massive problem and can turn crystal clear water into zero visibility in no time. It would be great if our dive skills in the game were reflected in this.

up
10 users have voted.
Kid18120's picture
Sea admiral

Definitively upvoting this!
It would be awesome to have the "simulation mode" differntiated from "arcade mode" for this kind of "issues" you might be facing

up
3 users have voted.
Tony the TIGER SHARK's picture
Poseidon

Will you be able to use reels in the game?

up
18 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

Well... just check out (part of) the Art team to-do list:
tasks
:-)
up
3 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Rofl a water jet pack, hilarious xD

up
6 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

Let me point out the category

just saying :P
up
5 users have voted.
gschmidl's picture
Poseidon

Next, we need that underwater car from James Bond.

up
3 users have voted.
acidmonkey's picture
Need for speed-boat

I definitely need that underwater car! :)

up
9 users have voted.

Mini subs or RVs for those harder to reach wrecks?
Titanic and Bismarck anyone.

up
3 users have voted.

Yes, this would be an excellent addition. We could have some research expeditions.

up
10 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

Pages