Questions re: the development direction of this game

up
16 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

Right now the development seems focused on the in-game item shop and static level development. But is there going to be any development of the in-game fauna? Everything has largely the same behaviors: a) fish that either hover in place and move if the player gets to close, or b) some species that following pre-programming swimming patterns without any regard for the player. There isn't really any diversity of species behavior and as a result, the fauna aren't particularly interesting or compelling. They seem more like window-dressing for the shipwrecks.

There are also a considerable lack of fauna in the game both in numbers (these wrecks should be teeming with life and they seem virtually desolate in comparison to real life) and diversity. I realize that numbers will be hindered by PC performance limitations, but surely there could be more onscreen fish than there are now. And more types of fauna would be nice. There are so many invertebrates that could add interest to the ocean floors like crabs, pods, fanworms, brittle stars, worms, seaslugs, anemones, cephalopods, etc.

Are there any plans to diversify the life in the game and add more unique behaviors for different species?

up
13 users have voted.
scubapro's picture
Aye aye captain!

I agree. I would also like to see some randomized fauna generation (which should be fairly simple to arrange). One of the most enjoyable elements of diving is that even if you dive the same site multiple times, it will always look different. There is always the chance of seeing that fish that you've never seen, or uncovering an old artifact. Unfortunately, so far, these dive sites look exactly the same every dive....except for the divers. And even they really have only 2 body types.

up
7 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

About the number :
The "only" problem here is not computer capacity but server capacity : the problem with online games is that you have to limit the number of moving objects if you want to sync them between different players, or else the servers is overloaded by data stream.

A way around that is to code animals not as individuals but as hives (most of them anyway) and so the position (x, y and z) and the direction (x, y, and z) could be really reduced. 100 fishes would be only one x, y and z in position and in direction, instead of 100 x, y and z in position and direction.

up
9 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

If that is the case, then that's unfortunate. Any such restrictions means the game will not be able to ever be a good simulation of what the real underwater world looks like.

up
3 users have voted.
Diving buddy

I am totally satisfy with your answer for the condition.

up
7 users have voted.

Even though I agree with most of your points, these things are either in the works for the future of this game or have been talked about extensively.

Also you are a new player/member it appears from your profile and you would know many of the answers to the things you brought up if you had spent more time on the forums and in the game, just hang in there, it will all come together soon.

up
8 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

I had read stuff on the forums previously as well as have been following the dev blogs. I think it's more a question (for me) of why the devs are prioritizing what they are prioritizing. When I see things like the virtual dive shop and Oceanopedia being developed, I can't help but wonder why they are putting effort into those things and not working on enhancing the underwater in-game experience. Is there really demand to be able to explore a virtual rack of virtual wetsuits?

up
6 users have voted.

They're most likely prioritizing these things based on impact to the game, ease of implementation, and available resources. Making various wetsuits based off the same model requires a texture artist, who may or may not be the modeler who would make new wetsuit models. Adding to the Oceanopedia requires someone to research and write up descriptions of the various flora and fauna. The procedural ocean that a lot of people want would require a programmer to implement, and is going to be a lot of work.

The virtual dive shop and Oceanopedia are relatively easily implemented and are also rather clearly defined. As opposed to enhancing the underwater experience, which requires first determining how they want to enhance the experience (which would require a game designer). Now there may be some overlap in skill sets, but quite often the people in various positions just don't have the skills to do someone else's job.

I suppose they could just implement things in order from the most important to the least, but then they would have people sitting idle because their skill set is not used for whatever is currently the most important thing.

up
3 users have voted.
djigivara's picture
Poseidon

Hi, me too, I agree with both of you...)))

Chicago5Over

up
4 users have voted.

a good point, But I think that some of these things are much easier to implement like, suits and items. And fixing things like adding new maps, fixing bugs, and upgrading to unity 5 are very cumbersome tasks.

up
6 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

This might sound cynical, but I think the real reason for things like more items and the item shop is purely monetization on their part. They seem to be looking to generate cash flows from this game, so it makes sense they'd focus on things like that. But given at which stage the game is at, it seems very premature. People need a compelling reason to play this game and being able to wear a different style wet suit is not one of them.

up
4 users have voted.

Of course they want to make money off things. That's the whole point of making any game (with the rare exception). The ability to customize your diver is going to be important to some people, and not important to others.

up
3 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

That's precisely something some of us advised them to do. I even wrote a mail explaining how they could add a lot of objects for "sale" with minimal efforts.

The money is one thing but the thing is : a lot of gamers feels that they "beat" the game because they have xp max, level max and bought every single objects of the game.

Adding objects is a great thing because it add longevity to the game for the lot of gamers that feels collection is the main part of a game.

Plus, if you play regularly (I didn't play regularly since 4 month I think now) you'll be able to buy every objects only with the doubloons found IG so real money has not a lot of importance I think.

At last, so you understand how gamers feels about objects, some of us even decided to create new objects for the dev team and give them so they will be for sale in the next update.

You'll be able to buy a lot of new suits because of that :)

up
7 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

TBH, I've never understood item collecting in games. To me there is no satisfaction in acquiring a bunch of virtual loot. So that part of the game doesn't really appeal to me.

I do kinda get the idea of exploring and finding treasure, but the way its currently implemented is very "video game"ish. It actually reminds of Super Mario Bros, to be honest, the way you go around collecting coins.

Probably sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but I do think there is a lot of potential for this game to deliver a proper underwater diving experience. I just hope the devs eventually build-in things that enhance the underwater environments and make the experience feel more real.

up
3 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I feel the same way but I understand why people like collecting things. It is a feature you find in a lot of game and often more addictive games are collecting games. The collecting feature is a game tool like any other : evolution of character, of player, of weapons, of tools, through experience. Discovery of new places/levels. Learning curves, etc.

One devloper must chose between those tools and the choice is not always easy. But those tools are the basics of gaming, from babylonian and egyptian boardgames too the latest call of duty.

up
8 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

IMHO, Regarding game play. Swimming around doing missions is ok and gathering coins to purchase items in the game are necessary. what we'd rather be doing is what real divers do, that is exploring the wrecks , opening hatches/doors, picking up and finding stuff buried or scattered around(the history of man is buried in the ocean), Finding creatures coming out of holes or under plants or rocks. the dive sites are almost void of anything interesting or interactive outside of the wrecks. the caves are great but there is nothing interesting in them or about them. There needs to be more moving animal life on the floor and more variety as was mentioned. There are no squid , octopus wales or other common sea creatures. In short there needs to be more interaction with the environment developed. Now the Dev's did say they were going to focus on game play once they finish the unity upgrade and the two sites they are presently working on. I just think they have too much on their plate right now. They could of given us a smaller update a while ago to please us , but it is what it is. Once they finish what they are presently working on, their next priority will be our concerns about game play.

up
5 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

This is what I'm talking about. :)

I really like the idea of having specific artifacts or treasures that one could find. It would certainly be a lot more interesting to find singular, unique items buried in the wrecks than having generic coins scattered around. Players could then trade in these findings for virtual cash they could then spend.

up
4 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Visually even with unity 4 ,Think about it! the visuals are stunning for something u can view and interact on a 500 dollar PC. BUT, The mission should now be, how can I keep these people immersed in this game for an hour or two, and wanting them to come back as soon as possible.
interactive content.

up
7 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

If the genereated ocean task is finished or ready to be build on, it will give the devs time for other tasks while the players can enjoy explore new areas in between updates.

I guess that is a main task that has be finished at first to avoid frustration of wating for updates for some long period and go on providing fun for playing this game daily.

I for myself still enjoy this game daily, doing the missions and explore the areas, but the many of you older members who play this game from beginning I can understand, that these 7 sites are no more that much interesting to explore over and over again, so new generated sites are main feature needed for a long time discover experience, no doubt.

up
9 users have voted.

Agree about those of us that's been playing it since the beginning, that we mostly explored every single square inch of each area. That's why I really liked it back in stage 1 (diving base) days when all we had was nothing but the diving tunnel. Of course then you could of really had fun by exploiting all the glitches to get out of the tunnel.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
7 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Not that the ocean floor is not already interesting, but would be to neat see crevices , underwater volcanoes, and other unusual features found in the ocean implemented in the game too.

up
7 users have voted.
Sinakar Mehti's picture
Need for speed-boat

Black smokers, with arthropod life and tube worms? I would love that!

up
7 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

Wow, reading this old thread back when I had hope.

Now I feel it will be a small miracle if the devs even finish the game.

up
5 users have voted.

I not sure why I was so surprised everything turned out so crap, looking back there were warning signs almost every ware right from the very beginning, the timing, lack of updates, sudden silence about certain major game systems/features, the way and means that everything was done was sketchy as hell but I always just kept thinking “I just need to trust in the developers, they just need a little more time” “they must be a lot further along back stage” or “there just super busy with the major overhaul that’s going to fix…everything” “the dynamic procedural ocean Is just around the corner, any day they will deliver and this game can truly take off as a dive game” “fish interaction is coming” SURPRISE!! None of that was happening. Too blinded by the desire to get a proper pc diving game to see it was none of that, just incompetent developers, terrible development choices, priorities and a crap ton of PR spin.

up
7 users have voted.
Naui_diver's picture
Need for speed-boat

The devs are deleting all my posts cause they know I'm right when I call them out. Cowards, doesn't matter to me. Like I said I am gonna be a thorn in their side.

up
6 users have voted.
diving_admin's picture
Poseidon

The reason we removed the posts was because they were insulting and threatening.

World of Diving Developer

up
1 user has voted.
Aye aye captain!

The only insulting thing here is the behaviour of the game developers.

Bunch of fucking rip-off merchants.

up
6 users have voted.
Naui_diver's picture
Need for speed-boat

Your empty promises are insulting, so we're even. Awe, do you need a shoulder to cry on? Do you need a tissue?

up
5 users have voted.
Scuba diver

You should give a chance to everyone to have their own opinion. Whether it is against you or with you.

Mcafee Support - http://mcafee-retailcard.com

up
0 users have voted.
Evilworm's picture
Scuba diver

Not trying to insult anyone here, but it seems to me like the devs don't care at all anymore. Its so sad.