My own shipwreck: The Flying Dutchman (in process)

up
4 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

If this is directed to me, Your right.
To Pat, I humbly apologize , did not mean to be disrespectful , got a little excited about my Idea.
your right. I regress.

up
6 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Aww easy no need to apologize, I think we are all excited about this new wreck and site and have our own ideas coming up, I'm glad and thankful to hear them and will think about them, approve or refuse them them for myself and then discuss it with Sieb if or how it's possible.

By the way, thank you Flaguitars for the clearing words trying to calm down to much enthusiasm ;)

up
12 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

So I went further into the design of the octopuss, I made a sketch I'd like to share. and I hope you guys like.
up
6 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for the sketch Sieb, nice drawing.
Yup one like that looks good, I'm curious about your positioning on the stern :)

up
5 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

That's an awesome sketch you've made there Sieb. Love seeing art work like this.
Would almost ask if there's more WoD related art work to be shown, then again certain comments can be devastating.
The ornament idea is a great compensation for the request and a plausible implementation in itself, in other words great idea!
Loved seeing the artwork in advanced to Bronies wreck too :)

up
10 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Thank you! I have another sketch I can show you. I made this one after the last when I found out I made some mistakes on the anatomy. Now, I can't show you much more :C as you already noted :) only art specified for this site. But ofcourse I will add more art to this page as I continue working on the level and ship ;) I am glad you guys like the idea of having it as an ornament, in this way it fits in the environment. and it will certainly give the ship a unique touch!
up
6 users have voted.

Wow, awesome sketch. Your talent at free hand drawing seems to be exceeded only by your talent for 3-D sculpting. In my opinion that is very cool work but Pat is the man to please, well....him and your boss man :) Very awesome work.

up
9 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Thank you! I'm working really hard on my freehand drawing skills, I few weeks ago I don't think my sketches could have looked like this. I'm currently using a software package called Zbrush to sculpt the octopus (like 3D clay), Its much fun to do and in a few hours I will show you guys my progress!
up
6 users have voted.

Cool. I use Blender to make .obj objects. Since I started using it I also purchased Maya but have gotten too used to the Blender interface so am sticking with it, for now, until I become a bit more comfortable with Maya.
If you are interested in seeing some of my work the following thread has a few pics of some of my stuff.
http://divegame.net/node/112778

up
7 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

nice work! and cool motorcycles :) I don't think you really need to switch. but when you do you might learn Maya faster by just dropping blender and only use Maya, else you are forced to use 2 interfaces for eventually the same thing, that can get quiet confusing. that's how switched from Max to Maya, now I can't use 3D s max anymore xD
up
3 users have voted.

Thank you for your complement and advice. Unlike you who are a professional, and very talented , I am just a dumb-ass ( not professional ) whose main objective it to have fun :) But your advice about learning 2 different interfaces that, basically, do the same thing is very wise advice and much appreciated :)

up
6 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Never say that, there is nothing dumb about wanting to have fun:) you have to start somewhere! Its not that long ago I started doing 3D, its all about practice. I might have more theoretical knowledge, but I am learning for it after all ;) But if you have fun then just keep it up! your motorcycles look awesome ;) thanks for the compliments and appreciating my advice :) just keep it up and make more cool stuff :P
up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

NIce nice, I see you are on the right way with that idea Sieb, I try to imagine how it may look on the ship and think it will look great as ornament :)

What are your open questions coming up with the ongoing work, where do you need input, what should we discuss next?

up
4 users have voted.

If I may add...... my comments on my sculpting was just a side statement in order to show interest in Siebs awesome work. The actual bikes are made with a process that would not work in ANY other video game except Second Life for technical reasons. Although I started them as a file, and in a program, which can work in just about any game without much modification, I then had to convert and finish as an object that Second Life calls "Scultpies". Those "sculpties" can only be recognized by Second Life as they are, technically, a 3-D object converted into an R/G/B texture that can be uploaded into Second Life so that they can then to convert back to a 3-D object.....lol..... Anyhow if I understood your post correctly, and may add an opinion, I do not think a motorcycle would make a good ornament on a sea vessel especially an old wooden sailing ship :) If I did not understand correctly and your comment about the ornament with referring to the octopus then I feel that is an awesome idea so just please shake our head, laugh and slap me upside the head..... it wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood nor would it be the first time I was slapped upside the head ( I'm a married man :) ) .

up
5 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Thanks! When I have a sculpt ready enough I can place it on the stern and show you what it looks like :p this moment I can't because its still in a way to early stage, (I am currently making my 4th base mesh, I destroyed the symmetry on my work from yesterday). I have a clear idea of your ideas concerning the design of the ship and level. Any input you can give me I need ;). I will now just work on the ship, and when you see something you don't like or would like to see changed, don't hold back just say so!
up
10 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Okay here we go another little update guys! Its starting to look like something, the symetry is still a bit off. so in the end I might just cut it in half and symmetry the whole thing all over ;P
up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Hehe it's starting to look really great :)
No need to hurry for sketches of the fix look, I just said I'm curious how it will look finally, I'm a patient guy ;)
Seeing how it is ongoing combined with your first sketch of the idea I can already somehow imagine it, and I think it will become real great ;)

up
8 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Haha thanks pat! I really enjoy working on you wreck:) I think it is the hardest project I have worked on as of yet, but also the most fun! and I like to show you where it is and what it would be like :P I am glad that you like what I am doing :D
up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Hehe, you grow with your opportunities ;)
I am really enjoying your talented work and see you ongoing :)

up
4 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Looks like a clawed hand... scary !

up
4 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

"ALIEN" underwater spaceship wreck with a chamber full of eggs and using this model as the "FACE HUGER" or mask huger in our case.

up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Hehe reminds me of the Alien Facehuggers too, but that may be someone elses Shipwreck in future ;)

up
3 users have voted.

looks like my wifes x-husband

up
2 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

you mean that Junkie ?

up
4 users have voted.

If you ad some small wings on its back you would have CTHULUH!!!!

up
7 users have voted.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
4 users have voted.
up
12 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

I have been busy, the octopuss has changed a lot. I changed the arms and added more silhoutte and ofcourse details.
up
5 users have voted.

Looking great to me.

up
4 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Awesome screeny Sieb, very cool to see part of the interface with it :D

up
6 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Wow, nice artwork Sieb, it looks great! :)

up
5 users have voted.

Nice, can't wait to see how it turns out in the end

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
4 users have voted.

oh man I cant wait, looks great Sieb!

up
5 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

It looks like an alien creature , gonna look real creepy under water....

up
7 users have voted.
Korshun's picture
Need for speed-boat

Great ideas about Flying Dutchman. Want to see it in game.

up
7 users have voted.
up
5 users have voted.
up
10 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

The highpoly model is done, now I'm moving on to making the lowpoly :D I am modelling the low poly over the highpoly model, and then I will use the lowpoly to unwrap and make a cage. next I will use it to bake all the maps (normal, AO, Height etc...) I need :p
up
8 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

(dont mind the polycount, the highpoly is also in the scene, but I isolated the lowpoly)
up
3 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I am speachless.

up
3 users have voted.

well that's a first ;)

up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

It's Interesting looking at your work Sieb, thank you for let us enjoy your steps of progress, I'm always glad to see what's going on next ; )

up
7 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

In a few hours the livestream woohoo! I have made a timelapse video of the octopus sculpt! (not the whole thing but partially) we will also answer some important questions people wanted to ask us :D
up
6 users have voted.

Thanks for being so active, it would be fun if you did it the same way for future projects that you will be working on.

up
7 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Thank you! I think its fun to interact with the community more acively! We want to do streams like this more often in the future, If you liked it. I was pretty nervous to do this but I also liked very much :)
up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

That was amazing watching you modeling on the octopus, thank you for that nice video, what a cool artwork :)
By coincidence I read about the streaming and entered not to late ;)

up
5 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Thank you pat :) I am glad you liked it!
up
3 users have voted.

oh man ty for reminding me about the stream, I have the night off work since I am sick this week with the flu (don't worry I don't think its catchy thru the internet)

up
8 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Haha no problem ;) And I hope you get better soon! *prepares airfilter*

Pages