My own shipwreck: The Flying Dutchman (in process)

up
7 users have voted.

I think that somewhere on the wreck there should be some reference that Davy Jones was NOT the last captain but that it was, in fact, Cpt. Tornado that last sailed the ship ( or perhaps Poseidon Pat ) :)

up
4 users have voted.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Cool idea, I whould like that having somewhere a reference to the wreck founder :)

up
5 users have voted.

a wreck founder would be a great idea. Can someone loan me $1500. ill pay you back....someday

up
7 users have voted.

This is going to be kick-ass. Great idea, Pat.

Raptr Gamercard

up
8 users have voted.
jadefelsen's picture
Scuba diver

wow amazing!

up
9 users have voted.

Pat, you mention something about pipe organ music. What do you think of this for the captains quarters?

up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Oh man that looks great, yup kind of that whould be realy nice :)

up
10 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

As you mentioned the light coming into the captains quarters, a small chest with gold and silver scattered on the floor or captains table. with light beams reflecting from the shiny metal.

up
8 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Yup that seems pretty cool :)

up
8 users have voted.
up
5 users have voted.

LOL

up
11 users have voted.

Or how about the gold scattered about like this scene from the movie "the Goonies"

up
4 users have voted.

Great idea, Brony. Did not even think of that until you posted the image. :)

up
6 users have voted.

Yea, I remember about it because it was on a few nights ago. Plus it's one of my fav movies.

up
8 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Good idea Brony, I agree to a decent amount of gold and treasure in the Captains Quarter, also I whould like to see a lot of it in the hold of the ship :)

up
13 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Hey guys! an update ^^ as some of you may have seen in our devblog, last week I have been working on blocking out the shapes for the flying dutchman. This model was mainly to experiment with the shapes and sizes. Today I restarted from scratch and used the old ship as reference. I wanted to create the ships hull and inside compartments as well as some assets. Eventually I realised I made some huge mistakes working on the inside compartments, I'll have to rework them.

up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Thank you Sieb that's nice showing the first steps of it also in devblog, exciting :)
I did some other modeling with Cinema 4D some time ago, what software are you guys using?

up
11 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

I will try to keep you as up to date as possible ^^, if you have any thoughts about it, just say so! ahh I never worked with cinema 4D, at Vertigo we currently use Maya, but I also worked with 3D Studio Max
up
7 users have voted.

Thanks for these updates Sieb, these keep me excited for this project!

up
6 users have voted.

I agree.... exciting stuff.

up
8 users have voted.

To save costs, the octopus could be made inanimate for the most part, guarding a treasure chest or davy jones' heart. So only a few limbs and his head move around, but he sits still all the time.

up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Somehow that's what I was thinking of too, when becoming available, that the octopus will be guarding some treasures somewhere in the hold of the ship.
Of course a swimming version whould be cool ;)

up
7 users have voted.

I've missed this completly.
Thanks for this wreck and site Pat Tornado! And to make it the Dutchman, wow! Heavy stuff right there.

I don't know if it's been talked about before (here or other topics) but it would be so cool if we had a day/night cycle. Just imagine how it would be to dive that wreck (and the others!) first in daytime and then at night. Or even better, see how the light fade out and turn it to a night dive. The suggestion about organ*?* music and ghosts would really come to life then. Creepy stuff! :D

I follow no path in life. I walk straight and leave a trail for others to follow.

up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Hey that's a real cool idea having a sun crossing the sky above the diving spots, causing change of sets of color and shadow on the same spot, I hope, like Wusker mentioned, that may be a generell feature coming up for all the near surface sites :)
At each diving session you may set a time when you wanne dive, so every different time of day can be a different optical experience.

up
6 users have voted.

Spot on!! *thumbs up*

I follow no path in life. I walk straight and leave a trail for others to follow.

up
4 users have voted.

I don't think day/night options will be here yet but they have alluded they are coming. Once they do we should be able to switch it on all maps, which would be awesome!

Oh and the Octopus could grab you and if it did you would die in the game and your skeleton would lie on the ground next to it and all your dabloons and pearls would be there too and we would have to start completely over at 0 XP.....Well what do you all think ;)

up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Funny idea, I'm not sure if the devs wanne have let you die in the game, not to mention that I think no one really wanne die and reset his account just for the fun picture after leveling up for some time ;)

Maybe you can make a mission where you have to pass the grabling Octopus, if he catch you, to release you may loose your dublons picked up during that session and have to redo.
Or that you have to pass him to get to the treassure room with some more dublons and return safe without beeing catched.

up
4 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Thank you Sieb , Keep it up.

up
3 users have voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon
up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

I'm sorry but I whould like to have it with daylight effects, sunrays underwater.
A night dive can be an additional option but I prefer daylight.

up
9 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Hi guys! I had an Idea, the Flying Dutchman's ornamental stern is not possible in terms of polycount (polygons are the faces each 3D object, (called a mesh) exists of) So I thought... A giant ornamental octopus , In this way there doesn't have to be a rig (for moving the arms and body) and neither will I need to make it separately from the ship, as it is part of the ship. (also it might be used as a base mesh for further octopi development ;D) A living octopus would never be in one place, and are pretty shy, and live pretty much underneath rocks or anywhere else hidden. to have one sitting completely still around a treasure would make it look more like aquarium decoration I think (which is not necessarily bad but it would feel off...). Please let me know what you think!
up
3 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Hello Sieb
Nice to see your creativity, I think the idea is good, the original stern ornaments look indeed pretty complex, that's a nice alternative, please go on! :)

up
7 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

super :) then I shall continue working on the octopus :P
up
2 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Ok maybe the arms should not be that long I think.

up
7 users have voted.

can you make it grab and kill SGT's character in game (and everyone else ranked above me) so he resets to 0? If so I Love it! ;)

Not just the ship, but the flora, fauna, and the map must set it apart from the Brony site. Awesome idea though its all up to Pat.

up
5 users have voted.

Quick, to the decompression chamber. I think you surfaced too fast because you are speaking crazy talk :P

up
5 users have voted.

Sieb is that a no on the Octopuss killing all the other members ranked above me, and resetting them all to 0 XP?

up
7 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

hahaha I would think killing of our members would not be a great way to show our love for the community ;D
up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

I'm confident that this site will become a real nice one, there are a lot of good ideas on list to discuss to make it happen ;)

up
5 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Sieb, could you animate one of the wooden legs of the octopus as if it was partly broken and the ocean current was swaying it back and forth!

up
7 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

I think I can, that shouldn't be too hard ;P
up
3 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

If it's ok with Pat , I think it would be cool to have something moving around!

up
7 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Yes why not, a bit animation whould be nice :)

up
7 users have voted.

Sorry for this spam post but found this and thought it was funny

But I found this for an idea for the interior of the ship for you to consider and think about.

up
2 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Thank you for the interior picture Brony, it has some nice details for inspiration.
I don't know how much details can be possible for interior so I whould like to know what Sieb suggest from the designers view to show us the limits.

up
4 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Glad you like the idea of animating part of the octopus ,I think it would be cool to see something moving around
when your near it.

up
8 users have voted.

This thread is about ideas to be presented to and approved by Pat firstly. Our Sarge accepted and, perhaps, rejected ideas for the Bronny map. He expected his rights as his pledge entitled him to and he respected the community enough to accept our ideas where he saw fit and Vertigo respected his request enough to accept, or perhaps, reject his requests as best as they saw fit and the Bronny site turned out to be awesome . I mean no offensive, and correct me if I am wrong, but, it is Pat who funded this wreck. It is Pat who each of us should go through when presenting ideas and it is Pat and Vertigo who has the final say as to what goes into this wreck. If anyone of us want to directly request custom, personal, content directly from a dev then they are able to totally fund a wreck for themselves. That is the whole point of funding a wreck for yourself. The Flying Dutchman is not a community wreck but Pats baby :)

up
3 users have voted.

I was thinking the same the last few days reading comments

Pages