My own shipwreck: The Flying Dutchman (in process)

up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

I modeled a pirate ghost ship too when I was a child, same glow effect :)
But I prefer a more brighter view underwater and not too dark so the effect whould be vary weak I guess.

That may be a option If there will be night diving coming in future.

up
4 users have voted.

That's cool the glow in the dark would be kinda cool, if it was very dark. But might now work with pats idea of a lagoon and Caribbean setting

up
3 users have voted.

We may have day and night dives in the future, so the glowing ship and luminescent corals could be added at night:)

up
6 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

How about randomly occurring lights, like an underwater aurora, showing up in the captains quarters where you also see the shadow of a pirate moving across the wall?

up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

I like that idea, having a play of light and shadows in the captain's quarters, that can be observed from outside thru the windows! :)

up
14 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Things I whould like to see at the spot underwater:

up
7 users have voted.

yes perfect place for the devs to introduce the hammerhead shark! Not as big as the giant octopuss (less dev time spent)and a must have eventually in a dive game, hint hint, nudge nudge.

up
5 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

I prefer the hammerhead shark too if we cannot have the octopus for this site :)

up
6 users have voted.
up
2 users have voted.
djigivara's picture
Poseidon

Cool picture

Chicago5Over

up
10 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

I'm really enjoying this new community shipwreck level thread! :)
Keep those idea's coming!!!

up
13 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

what about...

Having the wreck "floating" underwater with chains attached to it, like this game?

up
3 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Good idea somehow, but for the Dutchman I whould prefer to see the anker on a chain lying in the sand but not the ship fixed by chains.

up
1 user has voted.
djigivara's picture
Poseidon

Cool idea..

Chicago5Over

up
10 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Hi guys! I am the dev that will be working on the shipwreck ^^ I have seen a lot of great Ideas in this thread already! I will be making concept sketches and such and post them here for you to judge ;) I have to note though, the focus will lay on the ship not as much on the level, we can build the level to your guidelines but we can't build to many new assets, this takes time and manpower we don't have. Creating the octopus for example would take as much time and effort as the ship itself, maybe even more. If we rush new assets and animals, this goes at cost of the shipwreck, and eventually of the overall quality of the environment.

up
5 users have voted.

So that means there'll never be octopusses in WoD? :'( Could be a good way to introduce them

up
8 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

never say never :)
up
1 user has voted.
djigivara's picture
Poseidon

I Agree...! )))

Chicago5Over

up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Hello Sieb, thank you for joining the process and welcome on board! :)
I am very glad to receive your input to help us shape this new diving site to a real cool one, also to tell us the limits what's possible and what not.

There will be a list on the first entry of this topic about the status of all ideas upcoming for quick overview.
Waiting for your comments and ideas! ;)

up
5 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Hey! thanks :), sorry I only just saw your comment! I am new to working with forums (and I completely overlooked this one =.=(shame on me)) I saw the list :0 you guys all have awesome Ideas for the game! That is good, because we need all hands on deck ;P Ofcourse I also have some Ideas but I want to talk them through with my art leader before I post them ;)
up
3 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Must have Octopus , need an octopus or squid , something besides fish...

up
4 users have voted.
up
9 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

No this does not mean there will never be octopusses ;) It just means that the wreck is the priority. Ofcourse if the pledger, Pat Tornado really wants it we can, but that would be time we can't put in the ship, but that eventually is his call ;) We just want to give you the best diving experience possible :D this also doesn't mean you shouldn't just send in all the ideas you have
because we love the input and we want to deliver as much as we can!

up
2 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

You are right Sieb, first let's talk about the ideas and then decide what is realizeable and what not at the moment or for the Duchman site.
I do not insist on the octopus exclusive in this site for now, but I whould like, if it will be introduced later into the game, that then it will be added to the Dutchman site.
I think some ot the ideas that give the level a special touch too may not take that much worktime and can be realized therefore.

up
6 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Some of the Ideas are indeed very cool to give the level this special touch, and they are design wise very interesting :) . haha yes, When we make an octopus we are able to implement it in this level ;D Animals and plants we can always add if they are made in the future. The important things about designing levels like this are composition balance and pacing. We will balance your ideas and make them fit into a well composed level that feels natural, and invites exploration :)
up
9 users have voted.

Welcome to the forum Sieb! Good luck with the shipwreck and we are all looking forward to see your skills in action! ;-p

up
10 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Thank you Reinier! I'm looking forward to working with you guys :)

up
4 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Maybe the octopus can be made after the wreak is introduced, but we definitely need
It with this location.

up
7 users have voted.

Same with giant morays

up
6 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Things in my mind:

Having the captain's heart beating in the chest placed somewhere in the ship, becomes hearable when you are getting closer:

up
10 users have voted.

What about this treasure chest

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
3 users have voted.

I like both chests. Why not have one for the treasure and the other with the beating heat effects.

up
8 users have voted.

Great stuff so far. Thanks, Sleb, for your awesome talent and dedication and Thanks to the community for some cool ideas and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, Thank you to Pat for making this all possible. My only hope is that the Devs will stick to their guns as far as their vision to what they want the game to be. I love old wooden ships and The Tranquilly is one of my fav sites because of my love for the old sailing ships. But…. The Tranquility also, in my opinion, stands out negatively because of its fantasy theme (My Little Pony). I hope this build does not take on too much of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” theme (one of my all-time favorite movies and Disney rides, by the way ) but sticks to a more realistic depiction of what the Flying Dutchman may have really been. But anyhow…….. Thanks again y’all.

up
5 users have voted.

Don't worry, to give you a little hint your going to love my next shipwreck that I'm currently funding ^_^

up
3 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

:O Wait wa wa What!?

up
5 users have voted.

yea, been slowly putting funds into another wreck, but it's going to be a secret surprise wreck. Not even going to have it discussed on the forums until it's completed.

up
4 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

Sgt_Brony's underwater LOOOOOOOVE palace. Home of the finest Hairy Chested Mermaids you could hope to find.

up
3 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Arrrrggg the secrecy!, Vertigo infected you with the tease transition syndrome. Tell us tell us!
In all seriousness, very curious about it already Sarge :)

up
4 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Thanks to you FlaGuitars ;) I get your fear, I hope the end results satisfy all of you! But in the first place this ship is being made for Pat Tornado, as he is the one who made it all possible :P Currently I am sticking to the designs Pat has already shown in the thread, The Flying Dutchman as in the movies (if you guys want some design changes you can just reply on my Work in Progress posts). Of course the final version will differ Somewhat. Design wise the movie Dutchman could work (as a proper sailing vessel), its shaped after the swedish ship the Vasa and the old Dutch merchant ships (the Flute). The ship still needs to come off as a ghost ship, this I will need to exaggerate in some way, in order to not just make it look like a wreck.
up
1 user has voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Yes my intention is to have the Flying Dutchman close to the original, everybody should recognize it when looking at it. Some ghost effects can be nice but not to much of it should be there.
I whould like to realize different effects or location specials with some spooky thinks going on.

So we need your generell feedback on the possibilities to integrate this or that on the list before we can go into details about it.

up
4 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

I think that to make this ship feel realistic and spooky, we need to go about this subtle. This ship needs atmosphere to make it really feel haunted. A little to much and it wont be as interesting (talking about effects like glow and such). I think a lot of the Ideas on the list are great and can enhance the environment :) Some other Ideas might break atmosphere and style. it all needs to fit together.
up
2 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Yes that's right Sieb, it should not get to freaky,
an impressive realistic surrounding subterrain with fauna and flora is more important to me, the way to the wreck should be interesting, inviting to explore.
Accessible thru a grotto with some pirate skelleton next to gold and treasures touched by some sunrays cuming from above maybe, giving you a haunted feeling by atmosphere rather than ghost's swimming arround.

Having effects like a moray looks out of a hole when you are nearing whould be nice, or having a spot when you near it that some hammerhead sharks will join the area.

Spooky things like sound effects (organmusik and heartbeat treasure box, or when diving under deck suddenly hearing the wooden leg of the captain walking above arround...toc, toc...) could be real cool in my opinion.
Ghost's may be a cool option for missions, where you have to find one for photo.

I whould like to see the wreck a bit demolished or battle damaged, having also a whole in the hull where you can enter the wreck too coming into the hold of the ship and some lovest level compartments.

Some stuff like cannons and wreckparts can be decent scattered a bit next to the wreck, as it whould when the ship had sunk a bit sideways, stuck on the sandy and rocky ground keeping it in its position.
The wreck itself should not be the deepest spot, like in Brony, I whould like to have it going a bit deeper on maybe the front and the side the ship is lying.

up
3 users have voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

I think I have a clear Idea of what you want with the wreck and the level, At first I will model and texture the ship, then we will work on the surroundings. we will show you work in progress shots in this thread in which you can give feedback and critics :) I hope you will enjoy your wreck as much as I enjoy working on it ^^
up
1 user has voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

I'm curious and excited about your work progressing and really enjoy beeing involved in this creative process of building the ship and the site for the game, it's my first time I'm doing something like this :)

I think I can imagine how you enjoy your work on modeling ;)
Yes I guess the ship may take the more time than the surrounding, better to start with that first, so then, imo, making the surroundings may be easier when having the model in place.

What do you think, how long it may take for that whole site to finish, roughly?

up
4 users have voted.

Pat you might want to edit your original post( 1st page) with the ideas from yourself and everyone else for quick reference of the community. so far there are a lot of ideas, and its going to keep going (SGT's was like 5 pages long) and writing them down is nice to make sensible decisions. Sounds like the giant octopuss is out for now.

up
4 users have voted.

Agree, any ideas that you have or like that we make you should add it to the original post for quick and easy refference

up
11 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

How about using for this site special pirate dublons to collect instead of the usual ones?

up
6 users have voted.

That might even be cool to do for every community or member funded shipwreck, to distinguish them from the normal wrecks?

up
3 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Yes right, that gives each site a special touch somehow :)

Pages