Official Ocean-o-Pedia thread

up
42 users have voted.
Phena's picture
Need for speed-boat

Hello girls and guys!

I am in charge of the Ocean-o-Pedia operation. We are currently working on research, content, layout, interaction and ofcourse the actual implementation of the Ocean-o-Pedia.
This thread is opened in order to get feedback from you and to share our ideas. I will start out by giving a brief overview of the current state of the Ocean-o-Pedia, and then open the playground for discussion and ideas.

The Ocean-o-Pedia is the indespensable handbook for the diving enthusiast. It contains information about all the species found in the World of Diving oceans and some say even the secrets of Poseidon himself are to be read... however, that is when you fill it up first.
The Ocean-o-Pedia is your personal log containing all your collected data. Throughout your exploration you will learn about the flora and fauna by capturing them on camera. Each unique type of organism will have their own entry in the Ocean-o-Pedia, In addition to the diving sites entries.

We have our own general idea of what we would like to see in the Ocean-o-Pedia and what the boundary between the game and an encyclopedia is. We would like to offer the essentials about the found flora and fauna and point towards more advanced topics for the interested players. There are new animals being sculptured and researched for the game as we speak so we can fill up the Ocean-o-Pedia nicely.

Once unlocked, you can find information by opening the entry in the Ocean-o-Pedia. You will find a wide variety of knowledge such as the habitat of the fish, their feeding habits, diet, distribution and more. You can also preview the model, so even if you are unable to find a fish again, you can always look them up in the Ocean-o-Pedia!

I will conclude this sneak preview with the following question: what would you like to find in the encyclopedia?
up
22 users have voted.

Looking nice, hope we can expect a crude form of this in game soon! =)

up
3 users have voted.
Diving buddy

nice. This ia awesome article for users who love the game.

up
0 users have voted.
Diving buddy

if you want to travel and earn money,http://resume-writer.net/blog/is-it-possible-to-travel-around-the-world-... will tell you how to have a voyage and keep your job!

up
27 users have voted.

For me its not really what I want to find in the encyclopedia, its about finding the things in the game that are mentioned in the encyclopedia. So for example in the last image you give a description of the clownfish. I read that its length is 10-18 cm and its not only orange and white, but sometimes also has different color shemes. So it'd be cool to see the clownfish, just like any other species in the encyclopedia, appear in different sizes and colors (if present) in the game.

It might also be fun to reflect the habits mentioned in the encyclopedia (like the clownfish living in the anemones). But then again, that might be too hard to develop.

I really like the layout, though.

up
13 users have voted.

Totally agree. Also, Clownfish like the hide out and protect their favorite stinging anemones. We do not have these in the game. Using the Unity 5 engine, creating moving, gelatinous-looking anemone isn't hard. Just take a look at the ones in "Subnautica".

up
7 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

Agreed. If I wanted to read about the behavior of clownfish, I can go to Wikipedia. I want to actually observe those behaviors in game.

up
21 users have voted.
up
18 users have voted.

Looks cool although the transparent background of the oceanopedia looks aweful. If nothing else at least a log with a background so it would be readable would be better then the transparent one that looks bad in the included photos and would probably look a whole lot worse when trying to read it in a different location with different background.

up
17 users have voted.

Instead of a picture of the fish you could implement a small swimming animation of the fish.
Like the one you guys uploaded on youtube, where the fish swims always standing on one place.

It could make it more alive and interactive.
What you guys think?

up
10 users have voted.
Phena's picture
Need for speed-boat

A viewer for the fish would be cool indeed! Going to add this to the list.
up
7 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Great idea Egyptsun. Thanks, Phena.

up
6 users have voted.

Hi Phena:)
Thank you for taking it into account!

up
5 users have voted.

I saw in the youtube clip that you implemented it :)

up
2 users have voted.

nice suggestion Egyptsun!

up
1 user has voted.

:)

up
6 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

I like that idea too.

up
7 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

I would like to see it in a book format. I'm a printer and we've started printing on a new type of "plastic paper" it's incredible material, it look's and feels like paper but it's plastic so you can not tear it and it's water proof. So how about a pocket book you can take out and view and more importantly add your own comments in.

up
8 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

I would like to see the photo I took of the subject included in the entry with the option to replace it with a better or different photo later. It would also be fun to be a photo journalist for the Ocean-O-Pedia. There would be several required photos to go along with the description of each subject. Photo missions could be completed to acquire the pictures needed. Since they would be your own photos there would be some additional replay value as you tried to improve the shot.
I know it's just a dream, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I do like what I'm seeing with the current design, but agree with others about improving the readability of the text.

up
10 users have voted.
Phena's picture
Need for speed-boat

We are going to make the best picture you have made for the fish viewable in the oceanopedia. When you make a new picture with a better score, it will be the one shown. The quality of all your pictures will be tracked, so it will be possible to strive for a perfect-shot oceanopedia!
up
3 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Fantastic! Thank you!

up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

That's a real cool idea, I get my camera ready ;)

up
9 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Transparent could be a bad idea but :

- You added a blur effect, so the background will not affect the readability
- You could add a light filter that darkens the background when the light is too bright (like modern rear-view mirrors in cars, that darkens when having too much light in it). That way the lightness behind the transparency (the only problem you could have with a white font) won't be a problem and you'll keep your composition nontheless in normal circumstances.

Other than that, I must admit I can't say right now what I "would like". I think it will come to me when trying IG and feeling that "ok right... here a thing like that could be awsome".

But since it is in the Untity 5 engine, I suppose it will come a little bit later :)

up
7 users have voted.

Yeah these seem like good solutions. Or simply making the text black instead of white will already make a big difference. White on white never really works well

up
5 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

True, but in my experience, black text on complex background is quickly unreadable. It is one of the reason there are never subtitles in black.

The font could chanfeto black when and only when the background is too bright, but I never saw one of these well implemented. (If you find one, I'll love to see it because it has become an obstacle in my creative life) : often, the words with two colors (if the background has a bright diagonal for instance) are unreadable and the letters in between are not even seen.

Truly it is not to discredit your idea, because even if some of the this I wrote, I read then or heard then told by specialized people, I would love to see a example where it is well implemented.

up
5 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Keep the white text but have a darker translucent background. Looks good , just needs a little tweeking!

up
3 users have voted.
up
4 users have voted.
up
3 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

yeah after a second look might be hard to read at times?

up
3 users have voted.
Spudnic240 Of The Sea's picture
Triton

I agree and I would suggest a dark blue ish colour but make it so it looks watery as if the water is over the book when your reading it. Like maybe when you turn a page or something you get a water ripple effect!

Or maybe what I said but in stead of just a random pop up or book it might look cool to have an under water tablet type thing! ''Make it feel next gen''.

up
5 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

As far as what else we would like to see in the ocean-o-pedia , maybe a log for scavenger hunting, to keep track of objects and were they were located.

up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

It whould be helpfull if there whould exist a top-view map of each location for printout, so you could mark all of your treassures found on it and planning new missions with a better overview where to place stuff. Verry tricky to make your own map by swimming arround and try to get a picture of the whole diving area dimensions.
Off course having that map ingame whould be nice too :)

up
4 users have voted.

Why have I never seen this before? Excellent idea! Could also be used for preplanning dives or basically to show the group where you want to go to

up
4 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

the areas we have now are not that big so maps will be of little use. If the developers make or remake the areas some what larger and scatter secondary objects (locations of Interest) in each area, then maps will be useful, With a couple of small exceptions, there is only one location of interest in each map and it is relatively in the middle of the map and easy enough to find.
How to fix that would be fauder for a another thread.

up
2 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

You are right, the spots at the moment are clear to find and the maps not too big. I have done a very simple map of each location for a overview, but it whould be easier to plan missions whatever to have a map for doing it.

up
3 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

I agree, a map of the area would be helpful.

up
6 users have voted.

The current "designed" areas are not very big and seeing how the game is about exploration the areas don't necessarily require maps. An open world, procedurally generated, is what many of the current players, and those sitting on the fence waiting to buy the game, are looking forward to. I would imagine the "designed" areas will be connected by procedurally generated areas and a, detailed, map for a procedurally generated area is not possible if the world is truly procedurally generated.

up
5 users have voted.

Agreed 100%, the best we could get is a general world map, stating where what pre-designed area is, but the oceans between the two can never fully be mapped if they are indeed procedurally generated.

up
5 users have voted.

But there has to be some way of navigation.
If you use the ship there has to be something similar to the dive computer to show the direction to a certain designed Island or wreck.

up
7 users have voted.

Or, once on the ship and you get behind the steering wheel, you are given an map menu of the various destinations, where upon you click the desired local and get transported there. But, before appearing at the location, there would be an animation of the ship taking off, speeding away from the camera. When arriving at the destination, another animation of the ship riding into view to stop, bringing your POV back to the character on the ship for control.

up
8 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Yes, driving the boat arround on the site to choose a spot to dive in whould be cool.
And to travel from site to site maybe a globe with all destinations will be shown, so you can choose your next site and then an animated boat drives over there :)

up
6 users have voted.
up
5 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

If it means not having to close a session only to start a new one, I'm in three...

up
4 users have voted.
up
6 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

The second update to the Oceanopedia is rather neat. Enjoyed reading about the clown fish and the thorough description it has. Also liked seeing a short list of details before seeing the entire description.

It's neat to see your own photo's captured in order to unlock the fish description and it tempted me to unlock the Oceanopedia for the full 100%. Full 100% with 3 star is a goal I have in mind already and would love to see an Steam / WoD achievement for doing so.

Costed some time to notice the left and right arrows. Had some issues with placing the mouse pointer on some areas, which might be related to running WoD in windowed mode instead of full screen. Had the same issue outside the Oceanopedia by the way.

Also was cool to see the information regarding the animals in reallife versus the way they behave inside WoD.

Impressed by the accuracy of the english used inside the Oceanopedia.

Loved seeing the animals animation in the Oceanopedia and even better being able to rotate them yourself, epic :D

Had some issues scrolling when the mouse cursor was positioned at the lower or right section of the main text area, but again assuming this is due to running in windowed mode.

Awesome work on the Oceanopedia guys!!!, pretty sure this will be a feature which combines in-game time consumption with tutoring real life observations inside a virtual environment. Pro job.

up
3 users have voted.

I think groups like the Monterey Sea Aquarium or WWF would be interested in this educational part of the game.
Maybe they would do some funding too!

up
4 users have voted.
Korshun's picture
Need for speed-boat

A good progress.

up
4 users have voted.
up
4 users have voted.

This will add a ton to the game, and the idea of the map things and someone mentioned driving around on your ship is awesome also

Pages