Design you own suit!!

up
4 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

But she's my Preciousssssssssssssss.................

Sarge is right, Fathom - you're doing great work and doing it well, so take credit where credit's due!

up
5 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

oh gosh...I feel sudden pressure...agggh less forums more layers agghhh

up
6 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Take.
Your.
Time.

up
4 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

My.
Thoughts.
Exactly.

up
12 users have voted.

Same.
Here.
^_^

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
10 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Ya , I'll buy one of your suits, It would be nice to have something on the suit that would be unique
from the others even if it is only a pattern or a custom patch. I'm in the line.

up
9 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

I got to come up with an idea for my suite. I will be back!

up
12 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

lol all good guys ty for kind words lol..........kinda on hold atm, need that shader to test and finish up.

up
20 users have voted.

I made a new suit:)
The famous wetsuits of Jacques Cousteau and his crew:

For those of you who don't know him, watch one of his movies on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC7EoS0GIpk

Here's my version of the suit:

What you girls and guys think?

up
11 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Think that's an awesome idea for a wetsuit. Like its looks a lot and the similarities with the real suits. Would totally buy this wetsuit from the diveshop :)
Awesome Egypt!

up
8 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Same here : kudos :)

up
6 users have voted.
up
5 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

That's very nice, I used to watch Jacques Cousteau on tv when I was a kid, loved to hear his narration during the show.

up
6 users have voted.

Awesome idea! I remember as a kid loving watching him and copying his French accent.
He has got to be the king of ocean and marine life education, I don't think I can think of someone that did what he did for the oceans and teaching us and that was maybe 30 years ago

up
2 users have voted.
Sinakar Mehti's picture
Need for speed-boat

Good. But how can we model his trademark red knitted cap into a helmet? :)

up
5 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

very very nice 8-)...... front zip? ....whats you logo say?

p.s............. looks shiny in the pic do you have a working shader on it? are you back from holiday?

up
4 users have voted.

Back ZIP.
I'm still in the US.
But I had the chance to install unity5 on a friends Laptop.
How do I installiert this shader stuff. Do I need to download it Form Nvidia.
Can I use one jpg as the regular texture and then make a second one and use it for the stripes for example?
cheers,

up
2 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

narh I think Puc or Richard is going to upload it after GDC ????

do you mean stripes on a different layer? if so then yes that's how I did it.

up
4 users have voted.

Sorry,
my damn phone changed all the words to German :)
My question was, how can I use a second layer to make the stripes coming out of the suit in 3d?
Cannot find it :(

up
4 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

create the stripes on separate layers then use the NVidia tool (see earlyer posts) to convert to a normal map layer.

this is the one you need to save as.......... Normalmap T_M_Suit_L__N for use in game.

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

I just open the file they gave us , edited their normal map (added my stripes) after converting with tool.

if that's what you mean by 3d it makes the ripples and bumps rasied etc... will end up something like this.. how to save it was answered by PUC a few posts back 8-) page 1

hope that helps?

up
6 users have voted.
up
5 users have voted.

Can I help you?
Where are you stuck?

up
5 users have voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon

I don't know where to start, this is the first time I'm trying anything like this. I'm pretty much computer illiterate. I think I have all the programs. I just downloaded Unity5 the free version yesterday, so I still have to figure that out.

up
13 users have voted.

Mini Tutorial:
So take this template I made you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qpkcjgvv4c73rc/male-suit.jpg?dl=0
And open it up in Photoshop/Gimp/whatever and paint on it.
(no perfection at this point. we just try it out) Maybe just fill every part with a different color, that's it.

Save it as a new jpeg-file. (For example call it suit.jpg)
Imagine this picture printed on a sheet of thin rubber. We will wrap the different parts around the 3d model.

Now open up Unity5.
-Start a "New project"
-type in a name and a place where it should be saved and click "Create project"

when unity is loaded you see in the lower third of the screen a big field called "Assets"
-just drag and drop the Male.fbx (which was provided by Puc) and your own suit.jpg after each other in the assets field.

-Drag the Male.fbx from the Assets field into the grey "Scene" field above.
Now you see the 3D model.
With your mouse wheel you can zoom in and out.
With holding you right mouse key you can change the angle.

-Now double click the 3d model in the scene window.
A box will appear around the figure.

-Now drag and drop your suit.jpg in this box around the 3d model.

With your suit.jpg on the model you can check if everything is on its right place.
Now play around and have fun :)

That's all! ... I know:)

cheers,

up
2 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Wow ! Thanks for that ! Will try tomorrow :)

up
3 users have voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon

Wow, thank you very much. I really appreciate the help. I got five hours at work, then I will start this project again.

up
4 users have voted.

Give me some feedback and just ask if you get stuck or want further info on the painting part.

up
2 users have voted.
up
1 user has voted.
up
1 user has voted.

No problemo :)

up
1 user has voted.

No problemo :)

up
3 users have voted.

Egyptsun I can't wait to see and try your suit in the game.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
2 users have voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon

TheJacques Cousteau wetsuit is very cool, I remember watching him on T.V. , he was my biggest influence for me getting into scuba diving.

up
1 user has voted.
up
3 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

Sorry for the delay. Had a busy week in San Francisco and a nice jet lag last week.
http://www.vertigo-games.com/wod/ShaderSuit.unitypackage
This is the Unity 4 version. There will be some changes in the Unity 5 version but that will mainly be the specular map.

up
4 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

woot thanks now get some sleep 8-) version all good just for testing

up
6 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

T_F_Suit_L_Mask

is this the color mask ? how does this work ? confused here anyone figured this out? I thought the color mask was WHITE?

????

in my testing pink is coming out as orange and the light blue is red ??? file structure on this shader seems confusing to me and different to what ive been working on,... quite lost here now? .....anyone worked this out?

up
4 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

It works with the separate r and g channels. So the 'r' channel is used for mask 1 and the 'b' channel for the other. The shader does this internally. This is helpful if you want to save texture memory because this technique lets you store 4 mask in 1 texture if you would also use the alpha channel.
A little newb explanation so sorry if you already know the following; A texture uses 3 channels called RGB(red blue green) Each channel has a texture with black and white values(and all the greys in between). So the amount of white in a channel determines how much of that color is shown. Overlapping white in the different channels will mix the colors. This has happened in the T_F_Suit_L_Mask texture. The texture is pink and blue since the blue channel is fully white. If you change this to black the texture will show only red and green color.

To create this in photoshop; create a new empty file you will use for the mask. Copy the 'mask' layer from the work file (psd)then go to the new empty file and select under channels only the r channel and 'paste'. Do the same with the mask 2 and the b channel.

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I still did not try but this become to have more and more sense... Thanks to you !

up
7 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

yeah I sorted that part (colormask) TY Puc

but on a whole for me its getting more and more confusing shader seems to hold data from an old dev suit and even after deleting all the textures normal maps color mask and replacing them with my own I still get a horrible mix of both suit mixed in cant for the life of me figure out where unity is getting the old suit from ?

Puc is there anyway to get like the shader as like a blank canvas? .... (like just the suit that we can test the textures on? sorry for all these dumb questions but I think this project is WAY outside my skill set now.

the more I try to work on this the more im going backwards all the texture work in photoshop is easy for me, but unity and how the structure is ???????

this is whats happen for me...pic below those bits on the arm are not even from my textures? and the bottom left window shows a red and orange suit still?

not sure why? most of my ? comes from not understanding the file structure of the shader (I THINK)?

guess its not as easy as deleting your textures and replaceing them with mine?

spent 5 hrs on this tonight,,,,sooooooo confused now

anyone else tested???

up
6 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

If you want the shader 'blank' you could press 'select' in the thumbail of the shader and select 'none'.
I think the problem right now is that the shader as an option for a logo(which uses the second uv set) if you set Use Logo to 0 this should be solved.
If this fails send a Unity package to vincent@vertigo-games.com so I can take a look at it.

I don't think it is way out of your skill set;p I just did some special trick with the shader that needed explanation.

up
3 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

ah I c ill keep playing TY again for your help 8-)

up
4 users have voted.

I wish I could do these awesome suits you are all making. Some really great designs out there and I really hope we'll be seeing some in the game eventually or maybe we would be able to "paint" our own suits. I know I'd be doing a tigerstripe suit for sure :D

I follow no path in life. I walk straight and leave a trail for others to follow.

up
0 users have voted.
up
7 users have voted.
Pandur1982's picture
Scuba diver

At the Time i have a littel work for you to make it a littel bit easy, for create your own suit.a color map from the suit that we became from Puc.For example can you see it here in unity 3d with willi :D

and here is the Color Map

Orginal Size :
http://www.mypandur.com/Pics/tuts/swim.png

up
0 users have voted.

Hi!
I'm Sorry, I couldn't understand your question :(
(Kannst auch auf Deutsch fragen)

up
1 user has voted.
Pandur1982's picture
Scuba diver

Ah ok,mein Englisch ist echt nicht das Beste :D , ist keine Frage ich hab einfach eine Farbmap erstellt für den Anzug damit die Regionen besser sichtbar sind bei der UV Map,zb Arme,Beine und Torso.Man kann die Farbmap einfach auf das Model in Unity drauflegen und so besser betrachten. ;)

So als kleine Hilfe für die andern Bastler.

up
0 users have voted.

uh...*looks around for the translator

up
0 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

Not knowing what was said might "niggle"

up
2 users have voted.

Just run it through goggle translate and you get this...

"Ah ok, my English is not really the best part :D, no question is I just got a color map created for the suit so that the regions are better visible in the UV map, for example, arms, legs and Torso. You can simply click on the color map model in Unity and top with better look. ;)

So as a little help for others Bastle"

And that color map probably give those who play around with this alot of help. ;)

I follow no path in life. I walk straight and leave a trail for others to follow.

Pages