Design you own suit!!

up
1 user has voted.

I would if I had the artistic talent to do so.

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

It comes only by trying things like these : no preasure, usual and factual stuffs, it can be common or awesome... Honestly, my first try would be some diveswuit I own and my gf own... Nothing fancy here !

up
2 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

I think its about 90% knowledge 10% art ? and you have plenty of that,... the more we get the better 8-)

up
2 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Thank you, that was exactly what I was trying to find :) I was asking Fathom to convert PNG for me only because I couldn't figure all those textures things but your explainations convers it all !

Long time I didn't install the GIMP, it will bring me back to old memories :D

up
12 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

I should advise to keep the ambient occlusion layer also in there since it works together with the normal map and creates that extra shadow. The main reason I have so many layer is because it make the normal map creation a lot easier.
up
9 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

sry Anahita my bad typing...........I mean all you would have to do is a ruff sketch, or find some photos on google of what you like maybe edit them ....just something to give me an idea of what you want im planning on doing a few so ideas are welcome NP. 8-)

up
21 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

Sneak peek WIP

ok im kinda done I THINK.. on the first few Designs.. but im still confused as to how to upload them to you separately? need help?

For in game you need to save the psd to separate tga files. NP with this but this is where I start getting confused?

Diffuse map named T_M_Suit_L__D ...ok ? -done
Specular map T_M_Suit_L__S ....ok metrails -done
Normalmap T_M_Suit_L__N .... ok bumps folds etc -done
Color Mask 1 T_M_Suit_L__Mask1 ... ok understand color select1 done
Color Mask 2 T_M_Suit_L__Mask2 ... ok understand color select2 done

so where what about the base texture design of the suit? and what do I name that?

....wheres that go or which one is it ment to be in? or ??? hard to know as I cant test ingame to see how it looks if I missed something?

maybe I / WE.. should just upload the whole file all as one, in layers as you did?

cause no doubt you guys will want to look at it / if up to standard polish and put in game?

hope my question is understandable??? hard to explain ?

up
12 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

hey
nice to see your progress!!
I will upload a Unity package with the shader so you can see for yourself. The problem was with me and Richard being sick so I couldn't upload it earlier.

up
6 users have voted.

The base texture design should be part of the diffuse map. That's the one that's going to be the basic texture you see on the model. I'm sure the purpose of using a single file is to keep everything together, and so they can see how everything fits together.

up
4 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

hay NP and thanks again hope you both are feeling better

up
4 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

A lot better already, I'll ask Richard tomorrow to upload the file. Next week we Will be at the gdc and I don't have A laptop. So I will be able to check things the week after.
up
1 user has voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon

I got a dumb question, do I need Unity to do this or is there another program? I'm just wondering before I download it.

up
3 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

You need Maya, Photoshop and unity, or some programmes like the first 2
up
2 users have voted.
up
6 users have voted.

Nice suit designs Fathom, I can almost see your own line of dive suits in the dive shop ^_^

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
4 users have voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon

The pink and black looks exactly like the female version of my old wetsuit minus the pink of course. . Fantastic job Fathom!

up
4 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

cool..... the pink part is the color select... part and the male version is similar in design.

up
3 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Maybe Fathom can design a suit for me if it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.
I'll need them to swim.

up
3 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon
up
3 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

This is great stuff. Fathom, your designs look excellent - really looking forward to seeing them in the dive shop. I'd bet my saggy, ancient swim trunks there's a lot more talent like this in the WOD community!

up
2 users have voted.

this looks awesome but also very involved I will have to revisit this if I find more time

up
3 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

don't be put off by the pink color anyone colors are only to demo until I get the shader for unity ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwO5pkWozAc

up
2 users have voted.
up
1 user has voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

Doesn't look like pink to me, but I think it looks good too! What's the logo? I can't quite make it out.

up
2 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

that would be this logo pipeing will be one color and 2nd color will be logo for matching and I hoping the devs would include black or null color for those people that don't like the logo maybe 8-(

up
1 user has voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

Yeah! Fathom's own line in designer gear - brilliant!

up
1 user has voted.

Fathom: I'm away of my PC for some weeks .
Could you try out my Camo2 with this funky shader tool and show it to me?
:)
Thanks!

up
1 user has voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

yes can do...but when? I think they forgot, cause busy at GDC though so you probably be back 8-)

up
1 user has voted.

I'm away until March 30th :(
I can use PS on a friends machine, but cannot install anything like Unity.

up
1 user has voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

ah ic what you mean.... yeah np ill bang one up quick when I get hold of it and post a screeny for u 8-)

up
0 users have voted.

thx a lot ! 8)
Right now I'm brain storming myself what else would be cool :)

up
1 user has voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon
up
3 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

I could prob do that in future. if more people wanted that?

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I'm in.

up
2 users have voted.

Please hire Fathom for more suit designs

up
2 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

I've got to say that this is one of the most exciting threads I've seen on this forum. It's marvellous that Vertigo are not only allowing this, but publicly and actively helping Fathom achieve his ideas. Fathom, if your WIP pictures are anything to go by the finished product is going to be something special and well worth the wait - I think the logo is excellent and perfectly in tune with the gear. I'll definitely be keeping it!
I can't help but wonder what other design talent is out there among all the people playing WOD - it would be great news for this game if our mate Fathom has started a real ball rolling with this....

up
1 user has voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon
up
2 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

Ah. Cue big red face!

up
3 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Question : do you accept something that "looks like" suits in other games (like the Tomb Raider suit that doesn't have it's own name IG) ?

Because I would love to see Mass Effect related work.

Something less fantasy : I would love to see a suit that looks like fish scale effect. (Not easy to do (can very quicly be messed up...) so it is not even a request, even though you proposed that I do some)

Edit : for illustration :

Something based more on that :

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2044290016/NSA-competition-black-knee...

Than on that :

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BsmV%2Bjs6L._SY445_.jpg

In other words : more using the reflection effect than just painting dark lines in form of scale.

up
2 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

That first one looks stunning - from what I know (which probably isn't much) about CAD I don't see any reason why that effect wouldn't be achievable.

up
2 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

as the picture of whale sharksuit "range" im already working on sharkskin one like your first image and using it as a reference ...great minds think alike lol

just so you guys know

currently working on.. these are all id like to do/submit soon- may do second batch if devs decide they like want to put in? so 8 wetsuits if you count both male and female varaints..

whaleshark skin suit - M & F 2nd image wip 90% done

shark skin suit - M & F not show yet wip - only Texture done

generic wetsuit design ("pink one color") image - M & F 90% -done

generic Fathom Designer wetsuits (color piping) - M & F first post -DONE

once ive tested with the shader ill hand them over to devs for judgement/inspection and post a finished images.

After that id like to work on other suits but that's up to devs to release?

I have plans for one similar to my avatar pic and a tombradier style one...

up
1 user has voted.
up
5 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

I'll second that. I'm stockpiling doubloons in anticipation.

up
6 users have voted.

Fathom, this will be everyone's reaction when we see your wetsuit line in the game

up
4 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

We all turn into hobbits?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........

up
2 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

lol....just as well I live in hobbit country then.... but you guys are giving to much credit its kinda just a texture mod kinda thing thanks to the devs, for letting us play 8-)

up
3 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

Ahhh - talented, modest and big hairy feet....my kind of gal :)!

up
2 users have voted.

Lol!

up
3 users have voted.

Back off Barrelfish, Hobbit Fathom is mine :P but still, what you are doing Fathom is given us some more variety in wetsuits and help increase the items in the shop so that the devs can focus on the game.

Pages