Design you own suit!!

up
50 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

Egyptsun had a great idea about painting the texture for your own suits.
So here is a file with the large swimming suits;
http://www.vertigo-games.com/wod/SuitDesign.zip
http://www.vertigo-games.com/wod/FemaleBikini.zip
http://www.vertigo-games.com/wod/FemaleShirtandBottom.zip
http://www.vertigo-games.com/wod/FemaleSuitSmall.zip

This is how it works;
We have a female and a male suit. I included the model in fbx format for testing. The textures are in psd format and contains the base suit texture. (You can delete the layers if you want they are there for reference)
- The top group is the uv layout of the model
- the color mask group contains the mask for the adjustable ingame color. White will mark the parts that will change color.(An overlap in the white parts will make these color blend)
-the specular group contains the specular for the model. This map must be put in the alpha of the tga.This is going to change in Unity 5 because of the new IBL so you need a separate specular map with rgb are the reflection amount and alpha is the reflection smoothness.
-the normalmap group contains normal map. There is a base normalmap with folds (this is created in zbrush and should always stay there because the models look bad without the folds) The other normal map are created from the diffuse map with the nvidia normal map tool.
-the diffuse contain two groups one with the base colors(the blend color part should be white because else it will blend weird with the color in the game) and one with the base texture patterns. I separate this so it is easier to create the normal map afterward.

For in game you need to save the psd to separate tga files.
Diffuse map named T_M_Suit_L__D
Specular map T_M_Suit_L__S
Normalmap T_M_Suit_L__N
Color Mask 1 T_M_Suit_L__Mask1
Color Mask 2 T_M_Suit_L__Mask2

For now we only accept new textures no models. We will choose which texture will make it in the game. The rules are not too strict but we do have some quality standards. Of Course we will not accept sexual or offensive suits.

up
29 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Awesome Vertigo is allowing the community to design their own wetsuits. Really curious what will be contributed. Thanks for taking some spare time to realize this for us Puc!.

Not sure how relevant this is ( please remove if not ), but I wasn't able to import the fbx file into Blender due to being stored in ansi. After using a converter from Autodesk I was able to save the file into a binary fbx file, which allowed me to import it.

Very cool to play around with the bone structures to preview the selfmade suit.

up
17 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

If more people have this problem please let me know so I can export the fbx a binary by default. Thx for letting me know
up
20 users have voted.

This is a great idea and will be a lot of fun for the creative types among us. I'm about as artistic as a building brick but I'll certainly enjoy looking at all the new creations.

up
2 users have voted.
Diving buddy

I agree with you. It is really a fantastic and unique idea which is described in this post about games.
Forex Forums and blogs

up
13 users have voted.

Hi Puc!
Thank you very much for your super fast reply!
I'll take a look at it when I come home tomorrow.

up
14 users have voted.

I really wanted this for a long time, but I have no skills with this coding thingy so I'll simply show an example. Not really the design, but this as texture on a diving suit would be cool

up
10 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

lol. Very nice.
But You don't need to use code for this, you just need photoshop..

up
4 users have voted.

Im not so good with that, either :'(

up
6 users have voted.

Nice, can't wait to see what the community will come up with.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
10 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Wow... A nice idea that is converted to acts from the dev team.

Who is to say that the dev team is not committed to this game and that this game will "sink and is dead" now ?

Thanks a lot for this, I love where this is going and hope the community will come with plenty of ideas.

I would love to see a tutorial on youtube though for those who are able to do so : I fear indeed that my own competences are weak and don't let me consider puting my hands into the work, me and I am sure a lot of other people.

The text in the first post is clear and comprehensive but a bit overwhelming for those who don't know squat about textures and conversions and so forth.

up
10 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

We are still committed but lately we had a lot of work, and the new Unity 5 integration had some setbacks. But we are still enthusiastic about the project!!
up
3 users have voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon

I have no idea about textures or conversions. I'm gonna try and come up with something and hopefully this time I don't crash my computer, lol.

up
1 user has voted.
Diving buddy

If you have no idea then you have no need to worry about this, you will find many valuable ideas for yourself from this post.
Islamic Information for muslims and non muslims

up
3 users have voted.

Hi Puc!
One more question:
Is there a way to test the new textures ourself?
I only see unity3d files in the WOD folder.

up
10 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

The only way to test the textures is to download the free version of Unity and try it in there. You can't try it in WoD unless some hacker made some texture extractor for Unity?
up
2 users have voted.
Sinakar Mehti's picture
Need for speed-boat

Are there any plans to have a "local" wetsuit design (by which I mean, a wetsuit that points to a texture file on my own computer, not the WoD server?) At this point I don't care that other players would not be able to see it (they would see a global fall-back version in a multi-player session).

The main advantage (from my point of view) would be that I could experiment with the textures before I send something to Vertigo.

And there's drawbacks, of course: There would be no support when there's problems with my design, it would be for my eyes only (just waiting for the "planning to go skinny-dipping, you perv?" puns now), and there might be maintenance required when there are updates.

up
2 users have voted.

Hi!
Just download Unity an you can look at your own suit designs from all angles.
Somewhere here in this thread I made a small tutorial how this stuff works.
Have fun!
I'm curious about your design ideas :)
cheers

up
6 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

OMG TY!!! HOPE RESTORED FULLY ! 8-) downloading.......

1 question... can we use this to make summer suits? or just full suits? im guessing it works if legs /arms where transparent? im ok with photoshop textures and design but not sure how this works in with models etc..? sorry if this makes no sence or is a silly question?

up
7 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

Not a silly question at all!!
But no you can't make a transparent suit since the shader does not support transparency.
For me this is a test and if it works out fine I can give the texture from the other clothing styles.

What I could do is give the Unity shader so you could test it in the free version of Unity.

up
6 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

ah so we can just use this as a template for design/ recolor/ type thing but have to stick to that shape? i would love to test it in free unity ill download that also and have a play... hopefully its easy to use just to view models?

up
4 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

If you have any experience with Maya or Max it should be easy.
up
8 users have voted.

Hi!
Here are my first try outs:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tl9j4ji5hokzn9z/AAAju7tS1Z5uiJ9qmKifVUSVa?dl=0
I made a Camo-Suit and some Kind of Shell-Suit.
They are white so you can choose your own color.
Am I in the right direction?
Some feedback would be cool.

up
6 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

you are definitely in the right direction! I suggest leaving the light map layer turned on(the one with the folds) this gives it a extra bit of depth. For the rest you need some seams in there. Maybe break the suit a up with some parts that are made from a different material.
up
12 users have voted.

So this would be Camo 2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xjcbceog2oww6t/camo2.jpg?dl=0

Unfortunately I have no clue how to add different layers into unity.
This is what I do:
I drag the model & the texture.jpg into the assets list.
Now I can drag the model into the scene window-> double click on it -> add a texture (right window).

up
2 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

What might be really cool for a camo design suit, is if the user is able to choose two of the three camo colors. Inside the psd files are two layers allowing us to choose which areas are colors chosen by the user.

up
2 users have voted.

I have all three of them in separate layers.
@Puc would you like to have the psd file?

up
3 users have voted.
up
4 users have voted.

I won't be at home for some weeks. Maybe I'll find a PC with Photoshop somewhere else :)

up
3 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

like the camo one sun .........im a poet and I didn't know it! lol ...sry
ps whats writing on the badge say?

up
2 users have voted.

Just download the jpg to view it in high res.
It says "World Of Diving Community"

up
5 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

up and running in unity free version, hard at work and having a ball, im loving this......... if I get that shader you where talking about Puc what will that alow me to see/do better? Also are the "uncut" texture layers like dirt/plastic etc.. available? I can make my own if not, but for uniformity/ quality and speed of production they would be handy?

already have my first Female/male versions done and looking at more is there a limit? how many? would love to get hold on the other suits 8-)

up
6 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

Well so far there is no limit. It kind of depends on how many people will make these suits. The shader I was talking about actually lets you change the color of the parts if you have the right mask and has specular and the normalmap. For the uncut version I use http://www.cgtextures.com/. You can get a free account and there are a lot of tiles textures like fabric. Or just type in google the kind of fabric/ plastic you want tgether with 'tiled' or 'texture'
up
14 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

thanks for that Puc ill check that site out, and would love to have that shader if you can? as id like to have them fully done so you guys don't have to do much if you decided to use any, and learning new things is good.
cheers again 8-)

heres what I got so far havnt played with normal or spec maps yet... and is still work in progress but..

up
1 user has voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

Looks cool, great work!
up
2 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

TY and im woundering if there any setting here I should have on specific for WOD? or just use default? for normal maps?

up
2 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

Add height to normalmap should be checked
Height Generation;
-Invert Y
-3x3 sample(this is basicly a blur so just set it to your own liking)

Height Source;
-Average RGB

Alpha field
-unchanged (Unity can't have a normal map with alpha)

up
1 user has voted.
up
3 users have voted.

That's looking good. You might not have to worry too much about the normal maps, since they generally have more to do with the materials the suit would be made of than any graphics that may be on them.

up
2 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

looks to be defineing the bumps ridges ripples in materials? as some of the patterns are on the one included? as I want to make the colored pipeing rasied/defined?

up
0 users have voted.

For this purpose, it's probably best to look at the normal map as a bump map that uses shades of blue instead of shades of gray. While a normal map can do quite a bit more that just add a bit of apparent displacement like a bump map would, using them to full effect generally requires access to high-poly versions of the models.

You'd want to modify the normal map to show any seams you want to appear as if they're displaced (It won't actually displace any geometry, but it will give the appearance that it does).

Here's a page I found that has quite a bit of information on using normal maps: http://www.bencloward.com/tutorials_normal_maps1.shtml

up
0 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon
up
4 users have voted.

I'm just amazed that the devs are letting us do this, and so far what has came out of it. I can't wait to see what else you come up with Fathom.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
1 user has voted.

Awesome!

up
3 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Can not believe the first entry contributed the exact two ideas I had lol. Epic ideas Egypt :) Did you had a turtle shell look in mind as well?
Both yours and Fathom suit look awesome, definitely would grind some dubloons for both of them.

up
2 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Fathom,

Your work is superb.

I would love to try something but I am a utter dumb concerning those things. If ever I find anything interesting, can I ask you to do it for me ? (or you give me a PNG/TIF file I can edit, I edit and send it to you ?)

It would be great !

up
2 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

TY 8-) ...Love too 8-) use photos or whateva- scribble in paint?

up
0 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Well... Actually, I didn't understand the question :D

I was just thinking : if you send me a png template (instead of any texture file) I could use this template to work on and then send it back modified. Then you convert it to texture again. I know it can be a lot of work (well, actually I don't know if it can be a lot of work :p) so I would not take a "no" badly :)

up
2 users have voted.

I took a look at the files they provided, and it's quite as simple as painting a texture on a template. You could use one of the PSDs they provided and delete everything but the UV layer to get the template you're looking for. To really get it looking right you would have to edit the normal map (keep the folds layer, and use another layer to get the details you want). You might also want to play around with the specular. And of course you need to edit the color maps to get what you want for color options. You're going to want to look at the entire PSD to get an idea of how they put things together. You don't have to use as many layers as they did, but it can be helpful. Once you're looking at the PSD, it's a simple matter to make your own template.

If you don't have a program that can work with PSDs and layers properly. GIMP is a good free program. http://www.gimp.org/

up
1 user has voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

Pages