Creating 3d objects

up
6 users have voted.
Rhapsodae's picture
Sea admiral

I just browsed around and wondered what i need to fiddle about creating my own 3d items.
i know about a whole new generation of engines, 2d as well as 3d. And I find it interesting to see if i can supply the community (no goals no goals!) with new community material.

I've also seen some vague showcases about non-world of diving meterial on the vertigo youtube channel.

So I take vertigo uses an engine and provides addition material ? or did verigo create their own engine ? I something something Unity ?

I hope the devs can tell me if there are progams like that for the community to consider. For the "game developer" software thats currently on the consumer market can be very Iffy.

up
5 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Hey Rhapsodae,

Yes, Vertigo is using the Unity engine for WoD, which you probably knew.
In an early development post they stated using a Maya program to create their models. Forget which exact version of Maya, but a search will clear that up for you.
The Unity engine can be used without and with payment.

If you want to get into creating 3d models, theres many options. Consider giving Blender a try or one of the programs used by the Vertigo developers.

up
3 users have voted.
Rhapsodae's picture
Sea admiral

Sweet! Thank you

up
1 user has voted.

Is there a way to import 3d objects? And if yes-> which file format?
.obj files are common. And which requirements would be necessary.
(max/min file size...)
Cheers,

up
1 user has voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

The programs mentioned in the posts above are all capable of importing .obj files.
If you're talking about importing into WoD, there's no feature for that.

What exactly do you want to do?

up
3 users have voted.

You could add more/new objects to missions. Create your own stuff.

up
1 user has voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

It would be very cool indeed. Yet the objects used will require many restrictions.
Could make a topic in which we post created models and ask to which technical restrictions an object for WoD should apply.
Any chance you've already created something in 3d you could show?

up
1 user has voted.

I created simple things like this cooking plate:
http://www.3dfile.io/pBiImW#file-1
For my help project in Burkina Faso (West Africa) www.fanga.de.vu I made some building plans like the one in this simulation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pLA6q6RuU

up
1 user has voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Soz for the late reply Egyptsun.
Like the compound / building animation you've made for the help project, cool project by the way. Hope it'll help out :D

up
3 users have voted.

What is really cool is that my plan is getting reality right now:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gfcnopnmcsvqxl8/_Sobmn8FPA

up
0 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Ow wow, cool to see your plans have made such progress already :D.

up
1 user has voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

yeah sorry to jump in here,
but I was a bit disappointed that this game is not more community driven with ability to add your own stuff to custom mission editor (or Lack of Map Editor) so people could make realworld dive spots from there countrys (World of Diving) etc.. is anything like this planned for the future? modding would be great for this game?

Soooo much possiblitys .... no1 wish

up
0 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

I'd say this game is very community driven.
The version isn't a finished product at this point.

There have been a discussion about the ability to add more scenery items.
Also it's been proposed to release an empty map in which people could make their own dive sites.

Would you be more interested in using your own 3d models, or is creating a map from scratch more what you'd like? Guessing both ^^

up
2 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

I agree with the community driven thing that sort of came out wrong?

"There have been a discussion about the ability to add more scenery items.
Also it's been proposed to release an empty map in which people could make their own dive sites. "

THIS +1000 on my wish list. (mapping Mainly I have no idea how to 3D model wish I could) 8-)

up
1 user has voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

It didn't came out wrong at all. Also it's good to know you'd put so much value into such features. If you come up with more ideas regarding those feature, be sure to post them.