Unterwater Pictures

up
20 users have voted.
Sea admiral

Hello,
please add your underwater Pictures you like to share with us.

Rochen GC

Bilder hochladen

Bilder hochladen

Bilder hochladen
Thats me, i should def. visit the next barberfish :-)

Bilder hochladen

Bilder hochladen

up
7 users have voted.
Knoxklay11's picture
Sea admiral

these are great! :D i cant wait till i actually dive in the future and have pictures of my own

up
6 users have voted.
Sea admiral

I really hoped someone else add some Pictures.
I will add some new from Mexico after newyear

up
5 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I have made plenty of underwater pictures but they are not submarine so I don't think they are relevant :)

If no one post anything I will do it but I hope to see more of your work :)

up
14 users have voted.
Sea admiral

Some Pictures from Mexico

My Wife (and a turtle)
Dukedolphin
One of those Bullsharks
Dukedolphin

Dukedolphin

Dukedolphin

up
4 users have voted.
Scuba_Guy's picture
Need for speed-boat

Very Nice

Blub BLub

up
5 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I love it :) Makes me travel.

up
5 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Great pictures Duke, first time I've seen a turtle look slightly happy on photo ^^

up
8 users have voted.
Sea admiral

Thanks a lot Anahita and Mitzu.
Was a nice trip with a lot of Turtles and Bullsharks.
Here is a very short Impression of a Bullshark Dive.
http://youtu.be/oARjRMKID30

up
4 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

That's just what I love.

Reality of mother nature's creatures.

up
3 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

wow these are great thanks for posting. dukedolphin

up
3 users have voted.
Sea admiral

Thanks for the comment Fathom.
I really think about a new cam to get some better shots next time.

up
3 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

What is your present cam ?

up
2 users have voted.
Sea admiral

Sealife DC1400 with the SL961 Flash.
Most Pictures are over or under exposed in Auto Modus.
And the latency is much to Long to get the real good shots.

up
5 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Yes, I never seen any compact camera (waterproof) that had manual mode, and automatic mode is always random.

I use a reflex with a hard housing but the cost is just enormous.

One way to cut it would be to use a pro series of compacts (like Nikon P7xxx or canon GXX) which have manual setting (and semi-auto) and buy a hard housing.

I have home the Nikon coolpix AW100 (nothing less than the AW110 except wifi) and the problem is exactly the same.

When I bought it, it was concurencing the panasonic FTxx but it was several years ago, and since I am on my reflex now, I didn't follow how it evolved.

Hope it can help !

up
1 user has voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

One tip I would like to give you is consider your lightning.

Reflex nor its housing will compensate with the loss of light whilst taking photo's underwater. Also color filters and post processing filter techniques are applied to many underwater footage we see or enjoy to see. Therefore using such filters tend to make it more beautiful or feel more realistic.

In short, a truckload of light and experimenting with color filters might help you achieve better results.

up
3 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

True. It depend if you take pictures deep or not, but if you depend on natural lights, it can be tricky quicly.

About the filters, this is not a good idea.

Filters are ment to shift the light to an other spectrum of colors. It is like white balance. One could think that it amplify colors but in reality it does the opposite : it reduce blue and doesn't reduce green and red. So you are actually loosing light using those.

The problem with underwater lights is not that colors are shifting (like on dry land, difference between sunset and cloudy lights) but that colors disapears entirely.

You cannot, never, bring those colors back. The only thing you can do is recreate them. post-processing can do that, but filters are commercial non-sense that are ment to make you spend money for nothing.

Shoot in raw, post-process without any quality loss and forget about color filters.

Those had sense in analogic photography, when post-processing needed lots of talent and time. It was used in black and white also, to makes red "whites" for instance, instead of having all the colors on the same level of grey.

But now, it has no meaning and you will simply lose a lot of lights (meaning you will need more artifical light power) and you will pay for that.

up
4 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Hmm, very interesting to know. Going to look into filters their modern usage a bit more.

up
4 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Hope it helps.

For more complete explaination (and more simple in the same time)
Imagine light as if it was three distinct lasers : one red, one blue and one green.

On earth :
Those three lasers conduct themselves the same way. Sometimes one is more emitted than the other, that's what is forming color. But they are basically the same.

Underwater :

Your red laser will disperse it's energy in the water. So after several meters, your red laser will be no more.
Your green laser will disperse a little less in the water. So after several more meters, your green laser will be no more.
Your blue laser will disperse way less in the water. So after more and more meters, your blue laser will be no more.

So your red laser beam will be short, your green laser beam will be medium, and your blue laser beam will be long underwater.

That's the reason why every color seems to "sift" to blue. Actually colors don't shift, they just disapear.

It is a little bit more complicated than that, because only the distance between the light and the subject and the camera is important (depth is not important unless you have only natural lights) but it is the concept.

Now, filters :

What they basically do : a red filter will let pass the red light, diminish the blue light and the green light. So red will appear in the same lightness than the real subject, blue and green will appar darker.

On earth : red filter will help you balance your lights when they are too "cold", to "blue" or/and "green". What is happening : your red laser will go through, but your blue and green laser will be slightly diminished. It is great, because your blue and green lasers were to powerfull. You loose light nontheless, but you keep a balance : too much blue ? Let's bring it down.

So the light will be

Red : not diminished
Blue : a little bit diminished
Green : a little bit diminished.

Since your scene was too blue and to green : perfect. ("a little" loss of light as a result, but balance respected)

Underwater :

A red filter will still let the red pass and will diminish green and blue. BUT, since we know now that red will be already diminished a lot by water, and green slightly diminished, your finished image will be :

Red : a lot diminished by water, not diminished by filter = a lot diminished.
Green : slightly diminished by water, slightly diminished by filter : a lot diminished.
Blue : slightly diminished by water, a lot diminished by filter : a lot more diminished.

The balance of lights is broken. You diminish all your lasers. All the colors. You lose.

The best way to have good colors underwater is having lights near the subjects and to take the picture not too far from the subject. (that's why far sighted lense are not a good choice. You may have a 100mm lense that can do macro : that's fine. But don't use it to take picture of a fish at 10 meters from you : bad idea, light is dispersed)

If you use those lights, your filters are useless, if you don't use those lights, your filters kills your colors.

I hope I didn't bother you with all this, I suppose it will help you or anyone one day :)

Take care !

up
5 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Your thorough post certainly helped me, hopefully it'll help others as well.

Made a small image, would you consider this correct to how light travels threw water?

Will remove the image if not correct.

up
2 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Exact representation ! As always : a drawing is better than a long speech :)

up
2 users have voted.

So would you recommend red filters at all? Or just strong lamps?
And lamp vs. flash?
There are red lamps also.

Questions over questions :)

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Flashes (more light than "lamps")
Forget the red light : use strong lights. Red lights will try to compensate the attenuation of red color underwater but it depend of the distance (as seen on the image) so you'll end with too red or not enough red and greens will be too low too anyway. And since red is absorbed by water, you'll lose your light fast, since your forbid yourself the only light that can travel far : blue, you'll loose your lights fast... So...

Strong, white light.
Lenses that can take pictures from near. (Macro or proxy).

The more powerfull your lights are, the more distance your reds and greens can travel, so the more far you can be from your subject.

Strong lights, and if you can use slave lights (flashes that triggers when the main flash triggers) that you put near your subject, it is better also.

More questions ? Don't hesitate :)

up
0 users have voted.

I have a Sony a6000 with an underwater housing.
What kind of lights/flashes do you use?

up
2 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

It will depend on your underwater housing and the subjects you want to photograph :)
For macro/proxy/not too far, your housing's manufactor should have nice articulated arms and flash/strobes for you. Arms allows you to put your lights on the side so the shadows are not in the way.

For bigger subjects, I admit I don't know : I dream of buying my light system for this but I don't have the money.

BUT,

I can direct you to people who might know what you seek :

http://wetpixel.com/forums/

You will find everything in there but some are way more experienced than others.
Take care !

up
6 users have voted.
Sea admiral

I am really think about the Panasonic GH4, but the overall cost are a "bit" higher than for my sealife stuff.

up
8 users have voted.
up
4 users have voted.
up
7 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

I take photos in Gota Abu Ramada in 2005. There are interesting pictures because I made with old analog 35mm camera. It was the first time I have seen lot of colorful fish in the Red Sea.

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

That's beautiful and your choice of colors is great !

up
3 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Thank you so much Anahita!

up
3 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Nice picture, Egypt such a beautifull placeto dive. Any chance you have taken pictures from Greece too? Curious about its underwater looks.

up
5 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Thanks Mitzu. I dived in Greece near Sarti. Unfortunately, I did not have underwater camera in 2001. I looked my scuba diver logbook. I diving with AquaLand Diving club. I remember the diving club and dive guide was very friendly. The dive was excellent because the sea was clear.
Here you will find photos http://www.aqualand.gr/en/index.html

up
2 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for the link, was able to see some underwater photo's at their website. Good to know about their friednlyness. Very reasonable prices they have as well :)

up
1 user has voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon

Has anyone used gopro? I've been thinking of buying one, but they look kinda cheaply made. Also looking at Sealife, that camera looks decent.

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I suggest go pro only for video.

There is not screen for aiming in the go pro, so wide angle and approximation works well but only for video.

If you want a photo camera : a compact like Nikon aw100 is a good choice.

up
3 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

I think GoPro Hero 3 or 4 ideal for Sea photos and videos.

There is a big problem with GoPro 2. The GoPro Hero 2 is blurry without a flat lens under water. It isn't had any chance to get in focus underwater images. BlurFix Flat Housing Lens is needed good images underwater. I made a short video test in swiming pool: https://vimeo.com/37515069

The GoPro Hero 3 perfect underwater camera. I searched for a comparison test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbNTzel5vVg

up
0 users have voted.
up
0 users have voted.
Diving buddy

Picture with a shark is very nice! I love that pic.

----------------------------
Open Water Thailand