Sponsorship Idea

up
6 users have voted.

What about touching base with Pay to Dive quarries like our north east "popular" one of Dutch Springs (www.dutchsprings.com) and offer a sponsorship that gets them a dive site?

I mean, if $1,500 gets a divesite for a user or community funded, what about offering a similar deal to the quarries/springs and they get their facility as a divesite that also acts as an Ad that somehow shows location, features, amenities, etc.

Just a thought.

From birth man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to the earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free. - Jacques Cousteau

up
4 users have voted.

Good thinking! I think we'll have to let the devs handle the money side of things, but I'd say contact them buddy! =D

up
3 users have voted.

They should fund the divesite and hold a monthly hunt and the winner gets 10% off going to dive in the real world :P

up
2 users have voted.
areaofinfinity's picture
Aye aye captain!

it would be pretty sweet to have a WOD ad on dutch springs website though.

up
1 user has voted.

Have you asked them?

up
1 user has voted.
areaofinfinity's picture
Aye aye captain!

Dutch springs is a great place, however I'm not sure they would fund the game, simply because there might not be enough knowledge of what the mission of the game is versus a simulator possibly?

I can probably email them

up
2 users have voted.

they dont have to fund the game in any way. But if they would like to discuss any representation or maybe pay for their own divesite they are always welcome to speak to the devs.

Feel free to ask them though, can't hurt right?

up
1 user has voted.

I think the key is promoting the dive site as an advertisement (which is what it would be to them) in comparison to game funding.

From birth man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to the earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free. - Jacques Cousteau

up
0 users have voted.

True - however it still needs to be funded in some way XD

Pitch it as a hybrid. If they would like to have their divesite in the game, maybe there can be links or ads for the real deal in the launching area (IE how we have the area where we choose our equipment)

up
1 user has voted.

Let's not get into putting ads inside the game, the forum/website is fine but I'd hate to see adverts worm their way into WoD. ediving did this and it looked horrendous.

Having a plaque on the dive site with some information on it might be a better idea.

Regards,

up
0 users have voted.

A Plaque is an Ad :P

But no I meant more like an interactive link or sign up where you are getting ready to dive - IE the gear choice area - like when you are at the pool and see all the signs there. Those could be ads - and they are for the dive site in question - if you didnt want to see them dont dive that site :)

up
1 user has voted.

A plaque is fine by me, however I don't expect to pay for a game and not be able to dive a site because of the advertisements in it. That's a ridiculous suggestions.

In my opinion, having the site in itself would be advertisement enough.

Regards,

up
0 users have voted.

I'm with you xion, I think if for instance that Belgian place with the super deep pool (nemo33 or something?) struck a deal where they pay for their pool to be implemented in the game, it would be fine to see their name here and there on their map, and perhaps a link to their website, but it has to be done with class. Not a floating add somewhere in the air, but perhaps their name on one of the pool walls, something like that. It has to be interesting to them too of course.

up
0 users have voted.

noone proposed a floating ad...why is everyone assuming floating ads? lol

up
0 users have voted.

I know, but I'm just giving and example =)

up
0 users have voted.

How is it ridiculous? How would something on a glorified loading screen affect you in any way? Once you dive that is all behind you and its just like any other level. What I meant was if you didnt want to see them at all you could just choose not to dive the site so you don't have to go to the location.

And no, having it in the game is not advertisement enough. How will players know it is a real place and not an invention like the tranquility wreck or the lockheed? How will players know they have a website? How would they know of any potential discounts for WoD players?

This is served by advertisement - which would be on the surface with interactive elements.

up
1 user has voted.

I could not disagree more with your post and yes, it's entirely ridiculous.

How will people know it's not an invention? Because people have common sense and the intrigue to look for themselves. I've lost count of the number of times that members have posted on the forum, especially regarding the Yongala on them finding out that it is in fact a real life wreck. We could assume that pixies have fallen from the heavens and whispered into their ears. But a more likely occurrence would be them using their common sense and intrigue and googling it.

Quite frankly I'm insulted that you'd even insinuate that people who don't want to see adverts should just not dive that site... What an absolute load of rubbish. Every site should be enjoyable for every person and there should not be a divide created for people who don't want to see certain things - there should be no divide at all!

Other games also implement real world objects and sites, they don't have loading screens populated with icons, interactive links or adverts. They know people will go out and search for themselves...Brand names and logos are the most powerful form of advertising...It's why they are used and they are used discretely yet powerfully.

A loading screen with the sites logo I'm fine with, a plaque with the sites logo I'm fine with. But populating it with useless interactive links and icons that clutter your screen I am not, give people credit and allow them to use their own initiative and sense.

I'd also be more conservative in the 'offers' you're talking about, whilst I'm sure WoD would make an offer more lucrative in exchange for sponsorship, we are ambassadors of an open forum that anybody can see. Seeing you offering discounts for sponsorship might effect a potential sponsors decision if they aren't offered it by the devs.

Regards,

up
1 user has voted.

I understand where you're coming from, but working in retail for the last 7-8 years I am conservative with acknowledging common sense in most people. I think if if a company pays good money for their dive site, a logo/name during loading and perhaps a logo/name on the map will be sufficient.

If they have a pool like Nemo33 the name and/or logo could go somewhere on the pool wall, if it's an outdoor dive site or wreck, perhaps the boat that gets you there could have decals of the sponsor, or if it's a lake perhaps a little cabin with the sponsors logo on a flag and the name on a truck nearby, subtle stuff like you mentioned.

A name and perhaps for the right price a web address (not a clickable link) should be enough for anyone to find the company. And for companies interested in sponsoring their own dive gear, a simple logo and name on the item itself should suffice as well.

But in the end it's whatever a company and Vertigo Games decide works for them, and I have to say a clickable link wouldn't be so bad, as long as it's not intrusive, or pops up right when you want to click on something else, stuff like that. But I have a strong feeling commercials belong to free to play games, and not so much paid-for games.

up
1 user has voted.

I agree completely with the last part of your post Reinier, I'm a believer in the fact that once you've purchased a game, there shouldn't be advertisements that pop up and try to divert your attention elsewhere.

Free to play games are fine, the companies need to make money somehow and advertisement is a perfect way to do so.

Logos and and descriptions are fine, for example on the loading screen you could have some information on the dive site and it's location, in their you could stipulate it's a real dive site. What better way for people to know it's a real dive site?

However' having pop ups and interactive links in the area where we gear up before the dive sounds hideous to me. It's a real dive site,sure; right now I want to dive though, not check out their website. I can do that in my own time under my own initiative.

The boat to the dive site is also a great idea and it's completely in context with the game and the scenario. I think a large part of this is keeping it discrete and in context and not ramming the advertisements down peoples throats.

Regards,

up
1 user has voted.

I feel we're on the same page about this. I think during the loading screen it might be as simple as a little banner saying: This dive location has been made possible by "company name here" "slogan/logo/website" below that. Simple as that right? Tells the story, gives them credit, and then the dive site itself can stay free of advertisement with perhaps the exception of a name here and there.

up
2 users have voted.

Exactly Reinier simple is always best. Suggestive thinking is a powerful tool too.

I've no experience in retail but I do have experience in market research, I've created websites and some advertisements too in my time. I think we need to remember that WoD is also a brand, it's an idea that somebody buys into and it needs have continuity that always comes back to it's own brand name

I talk a lot about continuity on these forums, I'm a massive fan of it and the human brain identifies with continuity a lot. Only one small thing has to be off and the brain will pick it up as an odd pattern. Let me present this idea to you guys, it might make my point more valid.

World of Diving is modern looking game and it's colours and feel represents that, it's in context with diving and sea life.

Full Res: http://i.imgur.com/KBKuBb7.jpg

Now, let's look at the Dutch Springs website, as great as it is, it's a very dated layout with lot's of interactive links, quite literally, nearly every image on the website links to another page, which then links to another. With that in mind and the fact that they have their own brand name to present, wouldn't you think they'd like a similar style in their WoD area too so they have their own continuity?

Put these two screens together;

Full Res: http://i.imgur.com/bVohEk1.jpg

I can't see any continuity there, I can't see any interchangeable ideas and for the most part, I can't see it being an enjoyable experience being transported from the beautiful blues and tranquility of WoD to a website that presents a completely different image.

Sponsorship is great and I'd love to see WoD have sponsors but at the same time, the game can quite easily become disjointed, going off in a hundred and one different directions. Adverts needs to keep the attention on WoD, outsourcing attention should always be discrete.

Hopefully this puts my point across more accurately.

Regards,

up
1 user has voted.

I have a feeling I was somehow unclear and that you are not understanding where I am coming from. At least we both have experience in market research so I can speak on the same level. So here goes.

You are assuming that suddenly their website will replace the main loading screen - a screen that not one single person has ever spoken about. So let us please move beyond this incorrect concept.

As you know a divesite would be looking for a completely different version of marketing than say an equipment sponsor like SeaDoo. SeaDoo would get brand recognition every single time you pulled your scooter out. Boom there is an ad - its integrated and unobtrusive - because you expect it. It is not out of the ordinary. Just because one game does something wrong - do not assume all games do their marketing wrong. Some use obtrusive ads, some use good ones perfectly integrated (driving down the highway and pass a coca cola billboard), some do it poorly and you have no idea there was an ad there (Darkened Skye was a shooter about skittles yet the word skittles never comes up).

The loading screen I referred to - twice now - is the one where you actually pick your gear before a dive. It is not a true loading screen in any sense of the word - however it is also not the active dive. it is the dock at the pool, the raft, the beach at the hilma, on the deck of the yacht. This is the perfect place for a subtle advert.

You load up the divesite and find yourself at a digital version of their actual dive center standing there as usual - you pick your gear, you get ready and... what is that? A brochure rack in the corner behind me hinting that if I can click it I can find out more? Sure. So I click it and up comes a digital (created specifically for our game with our color scheme and theme) tri or bi fold brochure with info for the site (when the place opened, when the wreck sank, other interesting factoids) with a link at the way bottom to their main site. if I want to follow it to learn even more about the real thing (IE Want to Learn More? Click Here. Links will open in Steam overlay Browser). I do. great. I click it and poof I am on their site in the steam overlay browser. I don't? Also great. I click out of it and hey - I am back to where I needed to be to start the dive and in the water we go.

This is how ads are presented in a 3D virtual world - and have been since the mid 90s with ActiveWorlds and Second Life. They are a digital extension of the real world. Acting in a way that the real world acts. Nothing pops up in your face in real life - and a brochure wont magically open itself without you opening it.

Here is where I may be wrong and please correct me if I am - these responses to my post show me a lack of respect for my point of view. I also feel there is a either a lack or desire to learn more about where I was coming from - or more distressingly that you two are actively ignoring what I have said. This distresses me greatly. If you had any respect for me you could - and should - have asked for point clarification.

Nothing I said was ridiculous until you read it and took my words the wrong way. That is like someone on a road who decided to drive backwards while screaming about the design of the road not being suited for backwards driving. Of course it is not, nobody designs roads that way. :)

As far as my post about avoiding the site - Xion you are the one who keeps saying obtrusive ads. Nobody else here said that - in fact everyone here is in agreement on that point. Yet you still choose to imply that that is my point of view - and I would kindly ask you stop putting words in my mouth and attributing concepts to me that I did not say. When I say you can ignore the ads and just dive, you can. I just showed they arent in your face at all - or if you hate the idea of even unobtrusive minimal ads you can ignore the whole divesite and vote with your clicks. Nothing drives change like voting with your wallet (or clicks in this case). Either way the choice is yours and nobody is holding a gun to your head. Also I made clear that this loading screen was the one where you CHOOSE your gear before your dive - not the main loading screen which is ours alone. Who would propose putting an ad for a single divesite there? You put it where it belongs - in the dive itself. That way if we (goddess willing) get multiple sponsors of multiple sites - each has its own designated ads on its own dives. So no John Pennekamp ads on divesites in the Great Lakes - etc.

As far as me being generous with their money by talking discounts? While I am flattered anyone thinks I have that much power - I do not. Any such decisions are made by the company itself and negotiations with Vertigo Games. Two organizations I have no affiliation with. This was a suggestion and nothing more.

I did not play the last game who ruined itself with ads that you did, but you seem to be approaching this concept from that mindset. So hopefully this post will put to rest any ideas about weird sites on the main loading screens, branding logos all over the place, or whatever.

<(-_-)> *insulted, upset, and annoyed*

Edit: Or maybe I'm just an idiot and wrong. That's a possibility too.

up
0 users have voted.

Siren... I was just talking about adds in a general form, I wasn't directly referring to your posts or ideas. I understood what you meant, but I was just putting in my two cents, not retorting to your post

up
1 user has voted.

No worries R :)

All in the past :P

up
0 users have voted.

Ok S glad we're cool, I only just read it =)

up
1 user has voted.

Hi Siren,

First off, I'm not assuming anything, I'm retorting to what you wrote in your post although I can understand that things can often be lost in translation. I understand your points in previous post perfectly.

Product placement is completely different to what we are talking about here so let's keep on the topic of this particular discussion, which was your suggestion of interactive links on the loading screen or in the area where the divers gear up.

The points I addressed

• "Pitch it as a hybrid. If they would like to have their divesite in the game, maybe there can be links or ads for the real deal in the launching area (IE how we have the area where we choose our equipment)"
  • "But no I meant more like an interactive link or sign up where you are getting ready to dive - IE the gear choice area - like when you are at the pool and see all the signs there. Those could be ads - and they are for the dive site in question - if you didnt want to see them dont dive that site :)"
  • "And no, having it in the game is not advertisement enough. How will players know it is a real place and not an invention like the tranquility wreck or the lockheed? How will players know they have a website? How would they know of any potential discounts for WoD players?"

I feel I'm addressing the same points here and you've actually just added more to your original posts, but here goes. Again, let's keep this on topic to this discussion and not venture off into product placement of SeaDoo, it has nothing to do with this discussion.

For one, you have wrongly assumed that I assumed (try saying that drunk) their website would replace the loading screen. Not at all, I understand your concept and now you've added more (a hell of a lot more) explanation to your idea, it makes more sense. But still, I disagree.

The point of me posting the pictures was to show a complete lack of continuity between WoD and the Dutch Springs website. Dutch springs would want to continue their brand name and look, it wouldn't look professional for any of the sides for the dutch springs logo to be changed and their colour scheme adapted to fit into WoD.

So, the link pops up in your online 'brochure' and we click to go and visit the Dutch Springs website. How much of a transition have we just undergone? Where do I click? Which picture do I click first? Was this website made in the 1990's? I can't find any information? Those links in the menu bar are really small! urghh, I'm leaving this website now - back to WoD.

From a modern looking video game to a website with an old layout and a million and one links to different areas... What brand have we successfully promoted in doing this? We've established that WoD is linked to an old website and hey, it's a real place. Mission failed.

Now, let's look at some thing less obtrusive that doesn't have all this pop advertisement that isn't needed.

A simple splash screen to replace the screen where you can vote on what the devs work on next would suffice, detailing the name of the dive site with a little bit of information about it. It's unobtrusive and gives you all the information you need, was anything needed in the dive site? No. Was anything needed to take the player away from the game? No. Has anybody been annoyed by advertisements? No...

Of course, market research is nothing without other peoples input, I took the liberty of creating an online survey that's still live as we speak. It should open this discussion up to a larger demographic and give us more of an outside opinion.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-78RVVXLL/

Take a look. Maybe this will validate my point some more.

EDIT: I see you've edited your post again, unfortunately I can't see the point in replying again now you've added more information, you should see my post addresses everything you've said and I've given my own opinion with some points to back it up.

Now, I can only speak for myself here, I actually respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it. If you find that's incorrect or upsetting...I'm sorry. I'm more than happy that my posts addressed your earlier posts correctly and with enough respect and consideration that I would expect in return.

• Regards,

up
    1 user has voted.

Thank you for the reply. The Devs have been looking for a way to include info on the wrecks in-game. This Brochure idea works perfectly for them. Even our in house created wrecks can benefit from the brochure model. it feels "real" and is a great way to do it.

Also there is a double safety on the pulling up to their website. So continuity is not a concern - you have to enter our brochure which fits our theme - and then click again to pull the overlay up and launch the steam browser that brings you to their actual site. it is a full function browser and you can tool around on their site. Not all sponsor sites are as dated as theirs. But at the same time this prevents the shock of the jump.

Also most of us don't really even bother with the screen - you just hit dive immediately and sploosh! you are in the water now. So in a way my proposal is even less obtrusive as you can A) ignore it entirely B) Go a year without even knowing it was there.

However if you do find out the brochure rack is clickable - and you see it on our own sites (which brings up one of the dev created brochures) and the sponsor sites (which brings up a sponsor created brochure that follows the design structure the devs give them) it provides both useful information about the dive that will enhance the diving experience (and solve a problem of info delivery the devs are grappling with) but will give the sponsors piece of mind that their investment dollars are not wasted and that there is a possibility (although possibly slim) they may receive real world business from the linkage to this game.

Edit: I looked at the survey and just shook my head - those questions are worded in a way to drive people away from the other answer. You and I both know about survey skewing XD Republicans and Democrats can ask the same question and get totally different answers here in the US. I'm sure its true anywhere.

up
    1 user has voted.

From my point of view, I consider my points valid and I'm happy with them, I've put my information across. Thanks for your time Siren :D

I don't see how the questions are skewed, simply 'do you prefer one or the other' type questions aren't skewed, of course I understand that You're upset by the fact the survey doesn't back up your point.

To reply to the rest of your last post,

Please re-read my other posts :)

EDIT; Just to add, I LOL'd when I read this part " B) Go a year without even knowing it was there."

Great advertising!

Regards,

up
    1 user has voted.

Oh and your survey Q4 matches my idea - seamless integration people can find on their own time and not popping up randomly ^.- Just sayin

Seems popular ^.^

up
    1 user has voted.

The the survey is flawed Siren, it drives them towards that answer, surely it can't be valid? :D

PS, just in case you missed it, everybody who's taken that survey has said no to adverts...Oh how I love market research! :D Especially when it backs up my points against you Siren! :P

It's been an experience!

Regards,

up
    1 user has voted.

You know - this actually proves something. You are more interested in "winning" than coming to any sort of conclusion. You are trying to one up me and nothing more. Even going sofar as to create a survey to try and prove your points are somehow better than mine. A lesser person would create a counter survey and "win" that way. But I will not do that as it is childish.

And let us let the devs know that any future sponsors can in no way put any sort of advertisements in the game - as people do not like advertisements. Because that surely will help us get sponsors - because even your idea about an underwater plaque or even reiniers logo on the load page are advertisements.

Let us see how far that gets us. As far as I am concerned this is my final post and the last time I will look at this thread. Goodnight and Blessed be

up
    1 user has voted.

If you'd have read my posts Siren, you'd have actually seen that I would love to see advertisements, providing they are the correct type! :) It just proves you haven't read a single thing I said, which is what I thought due to your replies.

Hey, you know what, let's make double the work for ourselves by having to create 3D models of the magazine wrack and some sort of user interface to look at the magazine or navigate it. Of course, let's not forget the animations needed for it too.

I still maintain that it could be achieved with a splash screen, is a fraction of the work and the company/brand would be just as happy with it.

On a final note, the survey wasn't about beating you - I'll be blunt, I've never met you and have no real life interest in you, nor do I have any interest in beating you. What I do have an interest in is playing devils advocate and making sure more than one method or approach is looked at.

Some people don't like it when their opinions are dissected in front of them and countered with another opinion. You shouldn't take it as anything personal and with the market research experience you've spoken about, I'd assume you'd have been used to debating and opinions being countered.

This is a game I'm passionate about and I feel honored to be part of the community that's striving to make it better. If I could help by putting even the smallest opinion forward, I won't hesitate to do so.

It's been an absolute pleasure debating with you :)

Regards,

up
    0 users have voted.

I for one don't see a problem with what is described above. To be honest, you're all pretty much talking about the same thing, "product placement". At the end of the day we aren't talking about popup ads here that we get thrown in our face regardless of if we want them or not.

The idea of a dive start screen the same as we already have but made with a particular sponsor in mind, i.e a "Dutch Springs" dive shop with a magazine rack or even the name of the shop over the door, seems fine to me. It's not in your face, it's in keeping with the scenes on the other dive load screens and doesn't get in the way. Unless you click on that magazine or whatever and then you get the site come up because you asked for it.

This kind of thing has been done in other games, too. Racing games will have ads on the boards around the circuit or around soccer pitches just like the real thing. If you don't like ads on principal or just aren't interested in that product/service, you simply don't click on that magazine in the rack. No harm, no foul.

Lastly, remember that if it is a sponsored dive, that would be a dive location we wouldn't have at all if the sponsorship wasn't allowed.

up
    0 users have voted.

I like the idea of an unobtrusive ad in the form of a brochure, like Siren mentioned. It's in the background, almost like BG artwork. But, it is clickable if so desired and will open up a brochure-like artwork (either done in 3D styling similar to that of the Marauder's map from Harry Potter or just a 2D rectangular layout) with info. on the site and a link that one could, if so desired, click on to take them to the actual companies website (it doesn't matter if it is old or new, big deal). Of course, I'm just restating what Siren said, but I do like the idea. Putting the info in the loading splash screen is very obtrusive since you are having to see it every single time you load up the area. No thanks. I also like Reinier's ideas of logos in the site itself on items that make sense - a boat side, sign on a wall or a standing one, etc. Nothing that takes you out of the experience, but you do notice it (none of which have active links). Actually, both his idea and Siren's are very compatible. Now, I do agree with Mistwalker's view (and I guess your idea Xion) on maybe having the loading screen be like the interior of hut or something similar with the brochure rack there for clicking. But, at the same time, being that the screen doesn't stay on for very long, it would be better to have everything at the gear up menu. As for the verbal battle going on in this thread, I just have to shake my head, and it's not at Siren.

up
    0 users have voted.

I think my unobtrusive splash screen might have been confused with somebody else's, this is more the sort of thing I was suggesting. It let's everybody know it's a real diving site whilst at the same time doesn't divert too much from the game.

The text at the bottom of the scene could be on a rotation too, it could display hints and tips for the divers entering the site instead of the same continual message.

it's just a copy and pasted description from google, nothing fancy and it took 5 minutes in Photoshop, it's just to give you an idea. The great thing about it is, it get across all the information needed and at the same time, won't break the devs back with anything too fancy.

Regards,

up
    0 users have voted.
    areaofinfinity's picture
    Aye aye captain!

Damn xion, that's perfect

up
    0 users have voted.

Yeah, it's nice. I'd still like a brochure style format with more detailed information, which wouldn't be breaking the devs back to make since it'd actually be a whole lot easier to do than building a full location and wreck structure.

up
    1 user has voted.

Wouldn't the the brochure be on top of the full location and wreck structure?

I guess we'll have to wait and see what a potential sponsor would want from WoD and the dev team.

Regards,

up
    0 users have voted.

Being that it would be on the gear up menu screen, say as an icon off to the side or maybe in amongst the others, it would open up a new screen like it does when accessing the different areas of the customization area. It could be the same size as the menu box or a bit bigger. Either way, once you've read it, clicking it again (just like the gear icons in the menu) would shrink it back down to an icon again.

up
    0 users have voted.

Hey Siren,

I'm gonna round this off with apologising for any offence caused in this debate (I still call it a debate, I can't really see where it turned into a battle). Whilst I stand by my points, i don't like the idea of you being upset over it and I've actually gotten out of bed to write this.

I guess it comes down to two people with big personalities and different opinions, with different ways of expressing those opinions. Things can so easily be taken the wrong way on a forum, blown out of proportion and divides can form quite quickly.

I received three messages on steam from members of the community expressing their support to me, to which I've not replied. I'd much rather it be kept on the forums. Whilst I appreciate the support from the steam guys (you know who you are), I wasn't actually offended by anything Siren posted, I took it completely as two people debating two ideas.

Whilst some of your posts do annoy me *make me a mod* cough :P (shush, I'm sure some of mine annoy you too), I'm actually very interested in what you have to say and I actively look for your posts before leaving the house on a morning.

I spoke to the missus (my wife) about this too and after showing her both of the posts, she said we both have some valid points. She also said that I can be quite forceful in the way I type but in reality I'm "a pussy cat really" (I don't agree, I much prefer hairy chested cave man image)

Anyway the apology is there, here's hoping we can move on amicably, if not, MrsXion has threatened to register...I can't have that...WoD is the only sanctuary I currently have...

Regards,

up
    0 users have voted.

I have been informed of this post and am breaking my promise that I would not return to this thread in order to say apology accepted - and mine in return if you want it.

In all honesty - the developers will most likely pick a hybrid of our ideas rendering this entire conversation moot.

As far as the annoying make me a mod posts - its just me being silly. If they ever make me one grand - if not it isn't like I wont be on the forums doing what I keep doing :P As you can see I changed my sig anyhow... I got tired of the whole mod thing about 5 days ago and did something about it with the new sig :)

Go back to bed - don't stay up on my account :P This is the time where I plot to take over the world and can't have you kids meddling around.

And that dang dog too.

XD

up
    0 users have voted.

Apology accepted :) Back to bed I go...I hope you realise I'm going to be a zombie all day at work now :( The joys of being a WoD rebel! :D

Catch you later today.

Regards,

up
    0 users have voted.

I haven't got time to read 18 responses this morning!! ='( especially long ones, but I'm glad the waters are calm again from what I could gather, I hope the devs are actually interested in sponsors to begin with and I'm reading this all in the course of today to get back up to speed with you guys =)

up
    1 user has voted.

So now that I'm up to speed, I'll have to point something out to all involved included myself.

We are focusing on advertising in the current confines of the game. However! The full release will not have dive stages, it will have wrecks which are linked by procedurally generated ocean, so if there is no dive stage, there can't be any loading screens nor any brochures. I think we have to think of an entire different way to integrate advertisement if we really want to go down that path.

Obvious forms of sponsorship are in exchange of advertisements, licensing product designs and names. But there must be more ways to offer sponsors something for their money. I think a way to link advertisements to certain wrecks or dive sites could be in the form of a laptop on our yachts. If a player would like to find out more about the site he's diving, he can just walk up to the laptop, whether it's a sponsored site or something like the yongala. The problem I forsee with this is no sponsor will think this is sufficient, if I sponsor a game with my money, I wouldn't want to be in a place players MIGHT look, I want to be seen, by everybody. So perhaps a boat with a logo or name could work, or an AI boat with banners, like it's waiting there for other divers.

We need to rethink this, and remember, no criticism during brainstorming, and we don't need to proof each other wrong nor right because it's up to the Dev's what they want to do with our ideas, all we can do is give them as much ideas as we can.

up
    0 users have voted.

Are you sure wrecks are only going to be linked by stretches of ocean? How would we get from the Hilma to say the Bismarck? I would have thought we'd have the option to dive wreck sites but at the same time go into a procedural generated area? I've never actually thought about how the devs would do that and it'd be interesting to find out.

I like both the suggestions so far, I'm also really intrigued as to how the procedural stuff will fit in with the wreck sites.

Regards,

up
    0 users have voted.

I'm not sure how that will work myself, been thinking about that too. Perhaps we get to pick certain areas on a world map, so some dive sites will be linked, but others won't. Or maybe we have to drive our boats all the way the Bismarck or the Nile river delta before we can dive haha =p

up
    0 users have voted.

That's actually a pretty cool concept :P

Regards,

up
    0 users have voted.

Would suck to be driving the boat for 8 hours straight and just when you're about to dive you get a server synchronization error xD

up
    2 users have voted.

Well then how about a hybrid of our plans. Over (like up on a permanent bouy on a mini plaque) some dive sites or near them you can find a plaque ...that when you click E on it it will pull up a fullscreen high def version of the plaque and you can read about the wreck. :P

Its like a my brochure and xion's splash screen combined...but you have to engage it. And it would look really cool if it was oxidized copper and looked like what you see at some real dive sites like this.

I say it goes fullscreen because some of these have TONS of info on them or are itty bitty (so the zoom will let people see them in all their glory :) ) -- that and for realism some older plaques do become difficult or even impossible to read - we can take some liberties and make the popped up version legible.

up
    0 users have voted.

I could see that work! Another idea might be placing them near the daily terminals. Or have a challenge mission to find them.

If it's a enclosed or indoor dive site, our previous stated methods might work btw, but I think we'll need to figure out some alternatives for the open water sites, like the one you posted here.

What other options do we have?

up
    0 users have voted.

Dive information randomly duct taped to the lead divers back so you have to chase him / her down to find out more about the site? I unno. Plaques seem the most "real lifeish" :P

Pages