Oculus Rift related issues

up
21 users have voted.
JeroenVertigo's picture
Sea admiral

If you are having issues related to Oculus Rift performance or getting it to work at all, please post it in this thread. This way we have everything bundled together into one thread.

Make sure to also read the Oculus Rift Guide: read http://divegame.net/node/104580

up
12 users have voted.
WPKenny's picture
Need for speed-boat

When running in DirectToRift mode, my mirror screen is apparently running at 60+ fps but on the rift it's very laggy and telling me it's running at 30ish FPS. I have had my DK2 for a few weeks now and not had this problem in any other demo.
My runtime is the latest (0.4.1).
When I set myself up for extended mode it launches on my main monitor at a nice and smooth 60fps instead of displaying on my DK2. Prior to reciving my DK2 I was able to play in extended mode with my DK1 without a problem.

EDIT: Just re-tested. My rift frame rate is exactly half that of what's showing on my monitor in rift's mirror-mode. Can't find a menu option to turn this off.

up
10 users have voted.
Diving buddy

I'm having the same frame rate issue as WPKenny - it's fine on the PC but sluggish on the rift display.

up
9 users have voted.
Tankshell's picture
Thanks for all the fish

Yes me too. Same issue as these guys above. Works fine in extended though (well, when I say fine, I get between 40-80fps on quite a fast rig, quite variable fps, needs some optimisation for RIft users, even on low settings!).

Rig specs: 2500k@4.5Ghz, 780Ti SC, 8GB DDR3

up
9 users have voted.
Tankshell's picture
Thanks for all the fish

Just remembered there is actually still quite a large bug with the Oclus Rift (Dk1 and DK2) whereby, if you have enabled the vertical axis option in the settings screen (ie the way the game handled in older builds before you guys changed it), the head tracking starts to behave stangely when you are facing up/down.

If you level youself out and face directly ahead parallel to the horizon, the head tracking works correctly.

It is only when your character is facing up or down that things start to misbehave.

up
2 users have voted.
Dive Bomber's picture
Kraken

Hopefully these problems will be gone when oculus releases the next runtime. This is not the only game that suffers from judder with the headtracking.

up
6 users have voted.
Scuba diver

I tried today the last update with the DK2 that implemented DirectToRift Mode, I experienced in all modes extrem low framerates. It's mostly up to at what I was looking. However mostly the FPS were about 28FPS and the game was unplayable, the jitter was horrible. I didn't had the problem in the previous version (without Direct to Rift mode) that was also playable with the DK 2 in Extended mode with deactivated Oculus Service. I even tried to set all graphics settings up to very low, disable AA and so on, however this didn't helped either . I'm running the game on Win7 64Bit with a Xenon E3-1240 @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX770, SDK 4.1 incl. Firmware 2.11. And by the way, if I have multiple Joysticks connected the game seems to pick them up all and tries to use them at the same time. In this way they can interfere with each other as not every controller has their rest position between Low/High Range, some have them also at Low Range and so on...., just make the controls configurable ;)

up
3 users have voted.
enigma's picture
Need for speed-boat

have to agree on the controller part, had to disconnect all my other controllers to prevent loosing my mind

up
3 users have voted.
enigma's picture
Need for speed-boat

im getting a motion blur when turning the head with the DK2 (direct mode, all updates applied)
i turned off AA, which seems to help for other games - but didnt help here
is there a way to force dx11? < this helps perfectly for unity demos

and im not sure if its me, or its just not supported yet - when trying to look up closer to something by moving the head, nothing moves and i feel slightly sick when doing so

plus is there a way to reset the camera orientation? since i sometimes end up looking in the bushes and have to look in strange directions, to line up the view to where it should be

up
7 users have voted.
JeroenVertigo's picture
Sea admiral

There is currently no way to reset the camera tracker orientation, this will become available in a future update.

There should also be a slight performance increase in the upcomming patch for Oculus Rift, which should hopefully fix most of the lag and blurryness you guys are experiencing on Oculus Rift.

Also, the horizontal head tracking rotation is still not correct when you use the controller for vertical rotation, this is also high on our priority list.

up
2 users have voted.
Scuba diver

Yes performance should be definitely better. On my GTX 770 and I7 4.Ghz i get around 55-60 fps in more open areas - and on lowest details, which is really not enough. I get unpleasant stutter when head rotating. (Next thing is text size. Should be bigger, font is mostly unreadable and you cant even use positional track to move your head closer.)

up
1 user has voted.
daniel.brosch's picture
Shark whisperer

Oculus Rift DK 1 - Problem since last update 2014-09-13

Oculus Rift DK 1 does not work after starting.
Movement tracking is not working and the vision with both eyes is not fitting together.

I tried my Rift with other games without any problems.

up
1 user has voted.
Diving buddy

im currently having the same issue, busy scouring the interweb for solutions. cant be too mad though, this game IS beta, and the headset itself IS a devkit. so, sooner or later a problem WILL rear its head :D. ill keep busy looking, let me know if you find anything yourself.

issue being: Oculus Rift DK 1 does not work after starting.
Movement tracking is not working and the vision with both eyes is not fitting together.

up
1 user has voted.
Scuba diver

Just bought this and am trying to run from Steam on my Windows 8.1 Machine, have been unable to run it in either Extended to Direct Mode. In Direct Mode for DK2 my Monitor displays the two Oculus viewpoints and I can 'run it' however the Oculus DK2 remains black although when I move it the tracking knows it and the images change. If I select Extended and change to config accordingly I get a distorted background of my Desktop in the Oculus and half a white screen on my desktop - where it is perfectly clear in Desktop mode until I run World of Diving. Any hints would be much appreciated. Am otherwise not having too much trouble with other demos in Direct or Extended mode. Should I be adding World of Diving to the game list in Virtual Desktop? I tried that but it would not launch at all.

up
1 user has voted.
bakman's picture
Scuba diver

try switching to extended mode and then run it from steam (normal mode - not vr/big picture) with the direct to rift option, this works for me in w8.1.
if possible, set your monitor to 75Hz refresh rate, windows behaviour with multiple monitors is a bit wonky and you might not get low persistence.

up
1 user has voted.
Nivek TT's picture
Diving buddy

When starting in Direct to Rift mode via Steam the window pops up on my monitor and the head tracking seems to work but nothing happens on my DK2. The LED stays amber.

I've firmware 2.12, SDK 0.4.2

Any ideas what might work..?

up
2 users have voted.
bakman's picture
Scuba diver

Put it extended mode first, then start steam > wod > direct to rift

up
1 user has voted.
Diving buddy

For me the Jtutter/Judder is making this game unplayable in my DK2 as it is right now, which is a pity as it looks like it woould be a lot of fun and it looks great. I am getting between 24 and 48 fps and this is unacceptable and I even have athe newest Nvidia GTX 980. If it can not work with my system then I think it is deceptive to advertize that this game works with the DK2.

Are there any tips I am missing to get rid of the problem. I would truly appreciate a direct response from one of the developers on how this is being addressed and when or I would like a refund. If it is soon to be adressed I can be patient for a while. The only thing I can't stand is when developers do not respond to questions of help on the forum. Thanks in advance

Rik

up
1 user has voted.
Diving buddy

Question, are ANY of your own developers able to play this game in a DK2 without Stutter/Judder and if so a detailed how to setup guide for how they did this would be appreciated. Please answer!

Rik

up
1 user has voted.
Diving buddy

As bakman said, I'm only able to get the DK2 to render the game if I have it in extended mode (not set as my primary, fwiw), and then select the DK2 Direct Mode from the Steam launcher. So that seems... backwards. If I have the Rift in Direct app mode, and then select the DK2 Direct mode from the launcher, the game never launches. Nada.

But that's all fine, since the game does launch on the DK2. Unfortunately, I cannot get head tracking to work for the life of me. The LED doesn't come on the positional tracking camera, but no gyro functions work either - I just get the game (in 3D, and looks great!) but can't play without being able to move my head. Help is appreciated! I bought the game a month ago but hadn't gotten to play yet because it didn't occur to me to unplug my steering wheel from my USB hub, and I was getting the spinning problem until today. Now I want to play so badly!

up
1 user has voted.
Gildabass's picture
Scuba diver

Hello! Just bought the game, but like everyone here, impossible to have it work. i just get a freeze screen, although sound and music are running.
here is a screenshot : https://s3-eu-irl-101-prod.digitalhub.com/B/ARrzyEs3RP0V86o-39pa5Iq6mUaq...’écran+2014-10-26+à+15.58.37.png?o=Am15KbadaQ6BefP43vVmPHs-M3f3NC-HAYhgtmz4F8ng&v=1&x=3&a=BV9ztm04XOyqA0mqJg&e=1414341645&k=Hh4jT9QyIKPPKHBRKtn37w&r=66522db4-9638-4db0-a943-61c0834789e1-1&z=https%3A%2F%2Fp04-content.icloud.com%3A443&s=YTG0U7tm67Ig7Q957AKcuHhGnbw&hs=8uIX73ewrnfWNFNbZX7-3-zspCc&cd=i
I know, it's in early beta, but still, it has been 20 bucks… i was not waiting something perfect, but at least somehow running! i might add that the game runs fine in normal mode! (but the experience is much less impressive)

i'm on a 2011 macbook pro, OS X 10.10 yosemite, plenty of ram, and AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 Mo for graphics. Oculus DK2, latest runtime and SDK (0.4.2). Most of other DK2-ready demos and games are running correctly (even in mirrored mode).

Tried about every screen conf (mirrored, oculus as primarily, as secondary, even tried to put it on the left of the main screen as i read somewhere that it could help). However, on mac, i am unable to change any "direct mode" option.

Also, i can't find any "direct to rift" option in steam. where is it ? Is there something to configure in steam ? I tried to launch the game from steam VR, but no more success.

I may add i'm (obviously) not a dev, so i have no advanced skills about all this.
Anyone experienced the same freeze screen ? Anyone could explain me what occurs, or how to fix it ?

Besides that, i don't really get how to manage rift as primary screen, as in this state, all apps and windows open in 2D on the rift, and therefore are unmanageable! any tip on how to have rift as primary screen, but all windows open on secondary screen ? or else ?
Many thanks in advance.

Gildas

up
3 users have voted.
Diving buddy

Got my Rift, bought the game, runs fine on laptop screen not on the Rift :-(

environment:
- Mac (17" MBP, AMD Radeon HD6750M 1024MB, OSX Yosemite 10.10)
- Rift: (DK2, firmware 2.12)

experience:
- Rift demos run fine
- World of Diving runs fine in 'non-rift' mode
- Selecting Rift as main screen
- Start World of Diving in Steam, dialog: select "Play with Oculus Rift DK2", click OK
- Rift screen flashes goes dark first, then a chaos of dots and patches is shown, no keys work, nothing seems to influence the chaos on the screen, I can only force the app to quit (command-Tab works, luckily)
- every time I try there is a different pattern on the screen (sometimes with recognizable parts of menu's or other artefacts.
- general disappointment :-(

Hope someone can help....

Tom

up
1 user has voted.
Gildabass's picture
Scuba diver

wow ! Exactly same as me, just better (and shorter) explained… or were you trying to translate my comment ;)

up
1 user has voted.
Diving buddy

lol, no just did not read properly, I guess (and I could not download your screenshot to compare, but I really did try!).

sorry to double you, but, well, maybe it gives some extra attention ;-)

You probably agree: "This is SO frustrating: all set up and nothing to see..."

up
2 users have voted.
Gildabass's picture
Scuba diver

no prob, man! in fact, i was kidding… I'm indeed "happy" not to be the only one !
and yes, i agree !

up
3 users have voted.
chris_zh's picture
Diving buddy

Hi! I just bought the dive game and got exactly the same problem on my Mac Pro under Yosemite as Tombrus and Gildabass. Other Oculus games work, this one shows only pixel noise in rift mode. I'm using the Oculus DK2 and the newest Oculus runtime (0.4.3).
I hope this gets fixed soon, the game looks very promising!
-Chris

up
1 user has voted.
Scuba diver

I have the same setup and problem :(

up
1 user has voted.
JackDaniels's picture
Poseidon

I wanted to include the Post from GermanT from his original Thread here so as if this helps any other's with Rift Related issues.

GermanT - http://www.divegame.net/node/112001

I found a solution for me !!! I downloaded the program virtual desktop here: http://www.vrdesktop.net
This program gives you the ability to look at your windows desktop within the oculus rift. And you can start games from here and set the or as main monitor for the game. This works fine for almost everything i tried but not for the world of diving demo. The game started but it was ony in 2d. I tried some options and disabled fullscreen (always a good idea ;-) then the game was at the monitor in rift mode but not in vr (you could only see the two pictures for the right and left eye). But this was no problem as you can toggle with the function keys f6 and f8 to a real side by side miode and then the miracle happens! I CAN PLAY THE GAME WITH MY OCULUS RIFT!!! Im really happy and maybe this program is also a help for other people with the same problem.

OK, so yes I am the one that is still trapped in the tutorial. For those of you wondering how I do it and what happens when it occurs look here. http://www.divegame.net/node/112056

up
1 user has voted.
Scuba diver

A question to the Dev's, How can I start World of Diving in Direct Mode with only command line parameters. e.g. for Extended Mode this works:
steam://run/251890//-OVR%20-screen-width%201280%20-screen-height%20800

But how can I do this for Direct Mode ?

up
1 user has voted.
Scuba diver

I recently purchased WOD specifically for Oculus rift DK2
I have DK2. I7 4790K, GTX 770, 16 gig ram.
Running extended mode as main monitor (75 hz). all other monitors unplugged.
In game graphics set to high
First mission swimming pool fps is 75 until I open the circular door, fps takes a hit goes down to 50-60's.
Next chamber going out to open world fps takes a bigger hit down to 30-40 fps
When outside the aquarium fps is between 40-50 which is unacceptable for dk2.
I play eurotruck 2 and Elite dangerous which reach 75 fps.
All other demos run great with no judder except WOD.
Is More optimisation is needed in this game?
Has anyone with similar hardware specs able to run without judder??
Would love to play.

up
1 user has voted.
Gildabass's picture
Scuba diver

It works on mac !! I dunno if there's been an update, or is it due to oculus 4.4 runtime, or is it because i launched the game in 2D and set there the resolution to 1920x1080 (could it be so simple ??) but it now works… i'm still confused about the controls with an xbox controller, but it's a minor issue.

up
0 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I use keyboard. Little finger on the shift left, so I always know where my fingers are.

A trackball in the other hand, just in case.

Had fun since I have my DKII :)

up
1 user has voted.
mitty05's picture
Scuba diver

Hi, I wanted to know if you could simply use a screen share to allow for your phone to be used as a oculus with google cardboard?

up
2 users have voted.
Milamber's picture
Diving buddy

Hello

I just bought this game and I cant for the life of me get my DK2 to work in either extended mode or direct. I have followed your instructions by the letter as well! The only time I can get the game to display on the rift is using extended mode with RIFT as primary and even then it shows two images and its impossible to see or read anything legible.

Is this game coded to work with the latest RIFT run-time?

up
0 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

High, sir Pug :)

The game is coded to work with the DK2 and the DK1 and in Direct mode and in Extended mode, and with the last runtime.

1 : How does the problem looks like exactly ?
2 : What is your computer's spec ?
3 : I suppose the OR works on every other apps you tested ? (like demos etc.. ?)
4 : EDIT : do you start the game from steam or from your desktop ?
5 : EDIT : did you make sure that you configured the OR ("Rift display mode") in direct mode while testing direct mode ?

up
2 users have voted.
Milamber's picture
Diving buddy

Hello Poseidon!

Thanks for the reply, I have tested many games and demos with my Rift such as Elite Dangerous, Alien Isolation, Technolust and CINEVEO without any problems - some of these use Direct and some use Extended mode.

I have executed the game from both the WorldOfDiving_DirectToRift.exe and STEAM. Is there an option in the game to set the OC to enabled, it is not displaying correctly on my Rift - it will either span two images across my lens or not show anything at all. I have set my OC to run as primary, also disabled my LCD when the RIFT is on so it forces it to use it. I also installed VR manager and played with adapater initialisation settings with no luck :(

My system SPECS are:

i7 4960X Extreme Edition
MSI Big Bang XPower II
2x EVGA Titan Z's
Silverstone Evo 1200w

up
3 users have voted.
Diving buddy

The game appears on the rift but it's in the corner and only taking up about 2/3rds of the screen.

I am using World of Diving with a DK2 with 0.4.4 beta runtime on a Macbook Pro. I have tried mirrored and dual display modes (with the rift as the main display). I have tried 1920 and 1280 resolutions.

up
2 users have voted.
JeroenVertigo's picture
Sea admiral

Hi, this is a problem with the resolution update on Mac. What you could try is to set the Oculus Rift screen to the highest resolution (1920x1080). Start the normal version of the game first and make sure it's set to that resolution (the highest one), and restart the game in Oculus Rift mode.

Let me know if this works for you!

up
1 user has voted.
Diving buddy

Thanks that worked for me. Was having this same issue with other newer demos/games so I will try changing their resolutions now that I know this.

up
0 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

I used that workarround too when it was happening that the DK2 Screen was moved to one side, restarting the game in Monitor modus reseting the highest resolution (I do use Fullscreen) and restart with DK2 Extended.

up
0 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I suggest both of you to write an email to the dev team to get help if you need.

The devs stated that the game will have problems on some machines and I saw myself that I cannot use the dk2 in extended mode because I have error messages.

Direct mode is fine here though.

I wouldn't execute the game using the exe file. Although the problem could be that the unity config (double click + control on the exe file) has been messes up so a reinstall could help. Maybe.

Again, the dev team has already answered mails for less important problems so I invite you two yo write them :)

Edit : oh and maybe using the game without any other program interfering with the oculus rift would be a solution.

up
1 user has voted.
Diving buddy

Hi I have a problem that the DK2 worked fine the first time I booted it up, went through the beach scene into the first area. It started to blur then like low persistence was turned off. Then when I tried extended mode it couldn't find the correct resolution and crashed. Now every time I go back into Direct Mode it just locks down to about half a frame per second or so on the title beach scene and its just unplayable. Cant even select menus its so slow. I cant seem to get back to that first direct mode, even after a re-install. Im version 0.4.4 runtime.

up
2 users have voted.
Diving buddy

Just posted this on the other forum - success!

I followed a previous posters advice and switched my Rift to extended, set it to primary display, turned off my monitor in nvidia settings and then booted up in Direct Mode and it worked. On low settings it had low persistance and was quite judder free thanks :)

Its not perfect yet but it was good enough thanks!

up
1 user has voted.
Milamber's picture
Diving buddy

When using Direct-mode I have same issue as edwon, the screen is only taking up about 2/3rds.

EDIT: how do we contact the DEV?

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon
up
2 users have voted.
Milamber's picture
Diving buddy

Thanks, I've emailed him. I hope he replies soon :)

up
0 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Finger crossed!

up
2 users have voted.
Milamber's picture
Diving buddy

EDIT: DEV just replied.

up
1 user has voted.
Diving buddy

Hi, I'm running a 2013 macbook pro 15" with retina. The game starts, but its not centered. It's too small, and it's to the bottom left of the screen.

up
1 user has voted.
Scuba diver

I have a i7, GTX980, 16gb ram and I also can't get the game to a min 75fps using DK2. The best approach is really to put the rift on extended mode and run through steam on direct mode. But even doing that you can get as low as 50fps in most areas of the game. Anything lower than 75fps is enough to break the little presence you feel with a DK2. Detail levels don't seem to play a major role either on this. Any help would be appreciated.
I also tried forcing directx 11 as oculus forum suggested for unity games, to no effect. My runtime is 0.4.4

up
2 users have voted.
Diving buddy

Just bought the game and tried it on my DK2. Got a beefy system (i7 4770k, 980 GTX). Big trouble maintaining 75 pfs in direct mode (dips to 40) even on lowest quality settings, hardly playable like this without causing nausea after a couple of minutes. extended doesn't work at all, crashes immediately with an error window telling me that the "monitor doesn't support the resolution" (1920x1080, then apparently auto-trying lower ones with the same result). Would love to see this improve. Is the game still using the 0.4.1 SDK as your Oculus guide says? If so, it's high time to update! Unity 5 might solve this soonish though.

Pages