Friday Devblog 42

Unity VR

Johann
This week's build replaces SteamVR with the new Unity VR implementation. Hopefully this will fix a lot of the problems people were having with getting their Oculus Rift to work with World of Diving.

We are still waiting for some VR related features to be implemented by Unity. We need some of these features to get the intended VR experience into the game. World of Diving does something more than just directly mapping the player head movement to the in game camera. When the player moves his head in real life, the whole player model in the game moves with it. This has to be done, because you can see your own body in the game. Because of this, we cannot 'just' move the camera. If we would do that, the camera would move through the player model's head, and you could see the inside of it.

To get this to work, we need to disable the positional head tracking that's automatically done because we want to do it ourselves. Unity doesn't support this for now, so we'll have to wait until it's implemented. Until that time, the player model is disabled in VR so you can't see yourself. It may look a little weird, having tools float around in front of you, but it'll have to do for now.

New suits

Davey
Hey guys!

This week I got my hands on the suits that Egyptsun made for the community. They look amazing in my opinion! I've spend the last two days making the other maps needed for Unity's PBR system. They now have a proper reflectancy and look like they are made of real Neoprene. They are still a work in progress! As for now they are not in the game yet :( I could of rushed it and got them in but they would not get the credits they deserve. We hope to implement them for the next update. Give a huge thank you to Egyptsun for these awesome community suits.

See you all next week!

Further shipwreck work

Sieb
Hi guys! This week I moved on from the flying Dutchman to the U-352 level to give it another art pass, I gave the terrain an overhaul and I changed the kelp. The flying Dutchman will be continued by Davey, who will be finalizing the terrain and also add some new more assets to the dutchman.

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 41 June 26
- Devblog 40 June 19
- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
5 users have voted.
Lafrules's picture
Sea admiral

Thanks for the VR work. Haven't tried it yet because its still downloading but looking forward to it

up
3 users have voted.
Lafrules's picture
Sea admiral

sadly for me the VR is even worst. way too bright or no water, really poor texture, super slow, super small text menu ... Ha well it will have to wait for me I guess. Maybe I am doing something wrong however all my other games are working just fine in VR. Not a problem though I know its not a release game yet

up
3 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

no, the update is riddled with problems!

up
8 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Nice work !

All right, about this day update :

2D rendering is waaay to dark. If you need technical help on brightness vs contrasts, I can, but I don't want to be too technical (for once) I will only say that the problem here is that dark grey is already black and middle gray is dark grey. Meaning : black is black, dark grey is black, middle gray is dark gray... black is "invading" the image.

3D rendering is a bit too pale (I wrote : "A BIT" :p ).

Underwater fog is way too intense, especially on clear waters. "Swimming pool" stage looks unrealistic.

Those orange lights, still... (not only on sand, but on all fauna and flora...) unrealistic and hurt the eyes : I don't know what was wrong with the old Unity 4 rendering... It was waay beter in that regard. (just check old screenshots and compare them to new one... it feels like you go from a movie to a disney animation...)

Other than that, I look forward to see what will come next week ! Thank you for what you are doing !

up
5 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

You are correct, the rendering was way better before this update, also when taking pictures, why are they so dark compared to the actual surroundings???

up
4 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

On my computer, pictures taken are not dark when I see them afterward, on my HDD.

The pictures are dark only in game, in the camera preview.

I.suspect it is due to the 2D rendering, which is too dark anyway. IMHO of course.

up
5 users have voted.

Totally agree on all counts.

up
5 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

I downloaded the update. The VR mode is not working. The standard version works.
I am afraid that something happened to the upgrade.

up
6 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

The U352 dive for me had No water. I could see the sky and it looked like everything, fish, boats were flying. And the sea bed was a patchwork of tiles that only appeared as i moved forward. As Anahita says the dive pool is just murky, change the Filters pool attendant!!!!!!

up
2 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

This update crashes when I quit the game every time.

up
7 users have voted.
Black Dragon's picture
Sea admiral

same here: - no water at the submarine level.
- the pool looks like diving into milk.
- the glass tube in the submarine lvl reflects the above water suroundings.
sorry to say.. but the water simulation looked and felt way better before the unity 5 update!!!!

up
3 users have voted.

The Reflections were before the new update.
I made a bug thread about it: http://divegame.net/node/123838

up
4 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

I have the same problem as CATFISH and Black Dragon, no water in the U-352 level. CATFISH's description is exactly what I am seeing. I felt like I was swimming around in a fog in the other levels. Thanks for fixing the arrow on the Dive Computer!
I'm looking forward to seeing Egyptsun's dive suit in-game, the photo's above look great. Nice going Egyptsun!

up
5 users have voted.

Oooh, nice suits, but I'm not too thrilled with the update. The U-352 area has no water and the other areas are too dark of the foggy water effect is way too thick for some of the environments that it's supposed to represent.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
2 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Yes, its cool watching the singraays flying in the sky and the boats floating in mid air .

up
3 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Thanks Egyptsun for those stunning suits, they look sharp. It will be hard to tell us apart once we all start wearing them!

up
4 users have voted.

Something went wrong with the update. But the lighting at Lockheed is better than before.
I would only reduce the water reflections of the waves on the rocks and corals a little.