Friday Devblog 31 - Community Livestream

Comments

up
5 users have voted.
Scuba diver

All in all the livestream was pretty dissapointing IMO. They stated they are no longer working on randomly generated oceans which was the feature I was most excited about and the reason I bought the game. We will just have to use the current maps plus the two they are going to add, which IMO isnt enough value for the twenty five dollars D: At least we still get randomly generated caves.

up
4 users have voted.

^ Ya basically this, for something that they hyped for so long and so hard it didn’t really amount to anything. It was extremely short the whole recorded video was 38 mins, 15 of that was banner and music with only 22 mins of actual content. 90% of which we already knew from multiple responses from the devs in the forums.

We learned that walking on land will be a thing so that’s good but we also learned that the reef and the Dutchman are being merged, so instead of 2 full levels it’s going to be 1. Then we learned that procedurally generated open oceans may or may not be a thing anymore, the thing that made world of diving “WORLD of diving” at best has been extremely delayed and that we “might be getting it later though DLC” or at the worst not at all.

This whole event just seemed extremely unnecessary, there was nothing shown or talked about that warranted a live event and they didn’t have back and forth live on air AMA style talk with the fans to hit the community intimacy angle. There was nothing special about the event that made it so it couldn’t have just been any other weekly dev update or a response in the ask a dev thread from the forum.

And to think people were planning parties around this event or were bummed out that they couldn’t make it for different reasons, which leads me to believe I’m not the only one who was expecting a whole lot more from this event, an event who arguably had more negative announcements then positive, we’ve seemingly lost more than we have gained with this info.

up
5 users have voted.
Scuba diver

I still think randomly generated oceans should be included, even if they scrapped the community shipwrecks and the coral reef map I wouldn't care, it seems like a much better investment of resources than oceanopedia etc. I still think they should push to get it completed :)

up
4 users have voted.

out of everything possible to work on, the oceanopedia should have been done last. air being close to first.

I don’t want to go too far back into my previous rant about core verses noncore features but as a dive game there really should be certain things you work on and get done before doing anything else especially if your entire game is kind of based around that concept or feature.
I for one believe the procedurally generated ocean and air should have been the first things to be worked on and implemented as a basic function since everything builds on top of or around those 2 concepts, they don’t even have to be fully finished but enough to have a solid platform to build the rest of the game on, it’s like building the roof and walls of a house and then building the foundation and plumbing only to say well it’s too hard now so we can do without it, but we can build you a walk way instead.

up
1 user has voted.

Different parts of the game are going to be done by different people. Most likely the dev doing most of the work on the oceanopedia isn't one of their coders. If they just focused on getting the most important thing done first, then went to the next most important thing, there would be a lot of people doing nothing while waiting for the people working on the current most important thing to get done.

up
4 users have voted.

Then they should have had all able bodies working on these features in whatever capacity possible and had gotten it done from the very start. So glad they decided to use their peoples limited time and resources working on track IR, modeling functionless equipment, dive buddy’s, extremely niche holiday themed items, oh and holiday themed assets they will only be used once a year, the boats which are all pretty much useless now, instead of finishing the one defining feature promised from the very start.

What has the current method gotten us? A store full of cosmetic items, most of which is related to equipment who serves no current function, and an ever dwindling list of game features. If WOD had one thing it needed to deliver on it was the procedurally generated open ocean but instead were getting caves and an in game dictionary.

up
2 users have voted.
Jesse's picture
Poseidon

@keokitsune. We're sorry to hear about your disappointment. We didn't mean to do that. Also thanks for your feedback. We've planned the livestream more as and extended Friday devblog as we had had only a small amount of people showing up , but maybe it had to more focused on engagement, so we will try do to that better next time. :) We gave some more information in. this post. If you have more questions or feedback we would love to hear it as well.
up
5 users have voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon
up
1 user has voted.
up
1 user has voted.

Hi!
I had no time to watch it live.
Is there a Youtube link to watch it?

up
2 users have voted.
up
1 user has voted.

thanks!

up
5 users have voted.
Scuba diver

I agree, if the staff aren't capable then honestly though I hate to admit it they shouldn't be hired. They'll probably spent all their budget and then we'll be left with loads of micro transactions and a few small maps, which only take about three hours to explore. I hope they don't end the game once they add the two upcoming maps (coral reef and Nile), this is no where near enough content IMO for 25 dollars, the game will really suffer without random gen oceans :(

up
3 users have voted.
Jesse's picture
Poseidon

@thehonestowl. We won't abandon Generated Oceans. Same goes for the maps. There is always room for expansion of the current ones and adding new ones in the future. It is indeed not enough content for 25 dollars, but all the coming updates will be free, even the Generated Oceans when it will come out. Sorry to disappoint you with the livestream. We're not happy that we need to delay the Generated Oceaons, but we can't let you stay in the dark either. We gave some more information in. this post
up
1 user has voted.
Scuba diver

Yes it seems it was a big misunderstanding, I thought they were cancelled altogether.

up
1 user has voted.
Scuba diver

Thanks for the update jess, sorry for being a bit harsh.

up
4 users have voted.
Jesse's picture
Poseidon

It's okay. I would react the same to be honest. It is good to be harsh. We always want to learn from our mistakes and with this feedback we can make WoD better. So we're happy to receive any kind of feedback. :) And sometimes the less positive feedback is even better. because then we now what we should change.
up
1 user has voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon

I miss interpreted what you said about the generated oceans. I though you were abandoning it. That's good news then.

up
1 user has voted.
Jesse's picture
Poseidon

That's our fault. We said it the wrong way. Especially the "DLC" part, which has a bad name in general.