Friday Devblog 32

S.S. Yongala beauty pass

Lenn
Hello Everyone,

This week I worked on the S.S. Yongala level, there were some parts of the wreck that were a bit dull and needed some improvements. I did a complete overhaul of the cabins on the deck of the ship and I also did an overall improvement pass on the textures, materials, meshes and object placement throughout the level.

Bismarck update

Davey
Hey hey!

The last two weeks I have been busy optimizing and fixing the Bismarck. Last week I worked on the UV (texture) unwrap that was on the submarine where you spawn, I gave the submarine a nice headlight so now the searchlight has something to shine from and will no longer be a floating light source. It is also animated to sync with the light going from left to right and loop. I also gave it a new collider so won't just swim through it.
It will look different from before as the mesh also has changed to make it a bit more sturdy and looks like it could go down to crazy depths.
The Submarine now has an inside where you will be able to walk, Not yet though! For now you can swim in and it is flooded, but be ready for a cool interior! The interior of the ship is another project for another day.

The Bismarck wreck and submarine both got new light maps that make it a lot more realistic. As for the Bismarck, I gave it some new textures and update the rust and metal parts. Overall the level now looks amazing, runs smooth and is ready to be explored again.

Until next time, peace!

Do the Bronie Walk

David

Hello Everyone,

This week I added and decorated a walkable area for the brony level.

Octopus

Sieb
Hey guys!

The ship is coming along nicely!I am doing lots of different things. This week I rigged and skinned the octopus, sculpted some objects and modeled new parts of the ship. See Pat Tornado's Flying Dutchman thread (http://divegame.net/node/119936) for more screens and in progress shots :)!

Even more bug fixes

Johann
This week I've focused on some of the bugs that were reported about the new WoD beta (thanks for reporting them by the way!). For instance, the following bugs were resolved:

- The cursor size is now independent of the resolution
- The Oceanopedia controls are more intuitive
- The FPS counter is once again visible
- The chat doesn't open when you are interacting with other interface elements

Together with Vincent, we've solved a lot of the surfacing/submerging/water surface line issues. For instance, in the past, the underwater fog was turned on once you submerged, while this sometimes caused issues where you could see the underwater world without fog when you were just on the water surface. We changed that so the fog is always on. We also don't have to mask the surfacing anymore, so we've disabled the extreme surfacing particles.

I've also just finished the new update to the WoD beta, with all of the above fixed, and more levels in it.

Level art

Vincent

Hi there,
For the update I did a lot of tweaks at the background like the ocean shader and the ship shaer. I do this in a program called "shader forge". This is a node based editor which makes it kind of easy to set up an shader. The problems comes when the shader get's too big like the examples below.

It is like Johann says;I ask Vincent to change a shader and he plays around with connecting some wires and nodes and something comes out eventually.
But when you connect the right wires something good comes out like the Brony ship ;-)

Walking on land

Johann
This week I've been working on getting the player to be able to walk on land. This will give us some more freedom in the next couple of gameplay elements we would like to add.

Walking on land is implemented in a way that it works everywhere. Leaving the water is not a button you have to press, but is possible just by walking onto the shore or, in the diving base, walking up the stairs.

All of the above is added to the new version of the World of Diving beta, that will be made available today.

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
4 users have voted.

Can't believe the update will be here within 6 days! FINALLY!

up
6 users have voted.
Spudnic240 Of The Sea's picture
Triton

I know right! Feels like its been ages...

up
2 users have voted.

Oh yeah, cause it has!

But for now

up
4 users have voted.
Triton

It's like when someone waves the forbidden fruit in your face!

up
3 users have voted.
up
4 users have voted.
Triton

This will be me when it is updated!

up
2 users have voted.

This will be me:

up
4 users have voted.
Triton
up
2 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Amazing, thumbs up guys and thank you for the news :)

up
4 users have voted.

Final update 05/01/2015 maybe ? I hope it come :D =)
Great Work

up
2 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

I don't know if I can handle the anticipation any longer, Wow, its going to be fun checking out all the new stuff. Walking in and out of the water will open up new game play scenarios.
Can't wait to do the Bronie walk....

up
3 users have voted.
DarkStarSword's picture
Triton

Figures that the Unity 5 update would come out while I'm travelling and can't update the nvidia 3D Vision fix.

The good news is that I've already worked out how to fix shadows in Unity 5 games in The Forest and The Long Dark, so it should not be too difficult to get this one working in stereo again.

Chief Petty Shaderhacker

I fix stereoscopic 3D rendering issues in games with nVidia 3D vision.
Check out my World of Diving 3D fix

up
1 user has voted.

Nice work, I'd still like to point out on the "Brony" ship that it still needs it's name 'HMS Tranquility" place on the sides of the ship right behind the figure head. Other then that

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
2 users have voted.

Everything is awesome! Please get rid of the ropes on the Brony wreck though. It is supposed to be an ancient ship. Things like that would have rotted away centuries ago.

up
1 user has voted.

Oh forgot about that, and can someone also double check the translation on the stain glass window too?

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
4 users have voted.

Awesome! Keep up the great work guys. :)

up
3 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

This beta is awesome, love the walking around.
So many things to try :D

up
0 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

spent a little time in the beta, lots of graphics problem in it? Some of the Object textures improved and some are worse. Like the walking around though!