Friday Devblog 28

Unity 5 Objects

Vincent
This week I have been working on the Unity 5 implementation, again. Now I have some comparison screenshots. The difference seems minimal for some objects but the lighting is more physically correct. This means that there are no more washed out colors anymore like with the boats. In the old Unity you needed to be careful when using a white color because most of the time it would be blown out. Another difference is that the object will blend better with the environment colors because of the new lighting system.

Crashed Helicopter

Lenn
Hello Everyone,

This week I finished the helicopter and placed it in the Delta, I created a little scene around it for you to enjoy and explore.
I am currently working on some art fixes and general work on the Okavango Delta.. (placing colliders, optimizing textures and meshes etc.) The next step is to decorate the level and really make it a fun place to explore.

Then it is time to place the helicopter in the Delta and decorate the scene.

Oceanopedia

Jesse
This week I've been busy with filling in the Oceanopedia. We've got a lot of information and statistics from Mistwalker (thanks again), and this needs to be implemented in the game. So after adding all this information and images the Oceanopedia is taking shape.

Also, I 've been working on the community meeting. We've set up a Twitch channel in preparation, and now we only need to schedule a date. You can help us out over here

Work continues on the Unity 5 integration.

Johann
Nothing really exiting going on code wise. Mainly lots and lots of bug fixed in the Unity 5 build.

Another thing I've worked on is implementing a different, more mature handling of web service requests. This should make the web services in the game, such as logging in, completing missions and getting customization information more stable.

Dive Shop

David
Hello Everyone,
This week I made a clock and a crate for flippers, I also optimized the material usage in the dive shop.

Flying Dutchman

Sieb
Hey guys! I've been busy this week, I worked on the bcd's and made a first version of the Flying Dutchman for Pat Tornado, this is mainly to get the proportions right (this is quite difficult mainly because the Dutchman is a crossover between an old dutch flute and the Swedish ship the Vasa) and to make a basic interior. If you want to see Concepts and Ideas for this new level, take a look at the forum thread :D

Gloves

Davey
Heya!
Get ready to "grab" our new goodies that I have made this week.
Take a look at some of our new gloves. The color patterns are up to you!
I have four more gloves in store for you divers, but you have to wait another week :)

Previous blogs:

read more...

Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
6 users have voted.

Looking awesome, guys. What's that on the front of the Duchman? It doesn't look logical for a boat like that. Please make some more Star Wars air tanks like Boba Fett, Stormtrooper, Darth Vader and C-3P0 designs. Thanks.

up
5 users have voted.

Its similar to the design in the pirates of the carribean movies

up
3 users have voted.

BTW, if you do make some more Star Wars related air tanks, some matching gloves would be awesome, mainly for the Boba Fett, Stormtrooper and Dark Vader ones. Gold gloves for the C-3P0 tank would look odd. Not a fan of the white glove with Prince looking symbols all over it.

up
6 users have voted.

Thanks for the update, Vertigo. Awesome work.

Raptr Gamercard

up
9 users have voted.

Since the level has yet to be decorated, I expect a delay?

up
5 users have voted.

That's what I was thinking too

up
4 users have voted.

Thanks for the update. Looking great.

up
4 users have voted.
jadefelsen's picture
Scuba diver

great, thx fine work

up
4 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

It looks like everything is coming along nicely. The Unity 5 lighting looks great. Your releases are really stable for early access, so I appreciate the work you are doing on Unity 5 bug fixes before this release. I'm looking forward to checking everything out after the release.

up
2 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I agree with you completely.

It is impressive how this game already looks like a finished game while still in development !

About development, thanks for the update, devteam !
Transparency effect of unity 5 is just superb !

up
3 users have voted.
RevanXXXIII's picture
Aye aye captain!

Very very nice!

up
2 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

the comparison of the objects/boats with unity 5 look stunning, The helicopter is looking good to.
It will be great exploring the flying Dutchman. Looking forward to being able to go into the dive shop and see all the new things in it. A fine job.
Don't Rush, just hurry! :-)

up
2 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Also the Ocean-o-pedia is developing quit nicely.

up
1 user has voted.
DarkStarSword's picture
Triton

Quick question - when you switch to Unity 5 are you also switching to DX11 or sticking to DX9?

Chief Petty Shaderhacker

I fix stereoscopic 3D rendering issues in games with nVidia 3D vision.
Check out my World of Diving 3D fix

up
1 user has voted.
Johann's picture
Triton

We'll be switching to DX11.

up
1 user has voted.

Nice, the unity 5 really shows the shadows better, very impressive! Cant wait, keep up the good work!

up
3 users have voted.

Great stuff as always. Nice to see the progress and how everything is coming along. Can't wait to see all these cool concepts inside the game.

@Sieb - Have you been to Stockholm and seen Vasa? If not, you should really plan your vacation to Sweden/Stockholm next and go see her. I saw her some years ago and spent close to 7 hours there just amazed at all she is. Had to be told twice by security not to touch the ship and the third time they threatened to throw me out. But I got to pet her in secret anyway *wink*.

I follow no path in life. I walk straight and leave a trail for others to follow.

up
1 user has voted.
Sieb's picture
Sea admiral

Hahaha no unfortunatly not, I'd like to see her. I have seen many foto's and I am amazed by the craftmanship of the builders. But I might go to sweden when I have the chance ^^ I wanted to go there for a while already :P that sounds like a great day :P I hope they didn't really throw you out in the end ;)
up
2 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Thumbs up guys, looks great what's going on :)

up
0 users have voted.
xxApvxx's picture
Thanks for all the fish

Looks great keep up the great work. I love the lighting changes.