Friday Devblog 40

Code update

Johann
This week I've put the focus a little bit towards usability, as opposed to adding new gameplay features. The main points this week was smoothing out the login process, improving the quick game feature and implementing a retry process for server communication failure.

Login process
Before logging in, a Vertigo Games splash screen is now shown instead of the Unity splash screen. Logging in starts while the disclaimer is shown instead of waiting for it to close, so logging in is a little faster.

Improving quick game
The quick game now joins any active game, instead of only the selected level. If there are no active games, it allows the player to select a level to start hosting.

Server communication failure
When a web service fails, you now get a screen which waits a couple of seconds before trying the web service again. This keeps on going until the web service request succeeds. The player can press a button to log out instead. Before the patch, any web service failure would result in an instant log-out, which resulted in the player having to start the level he was playing and swim all the way back to where he was.

color corrections

Lenn
Hello Everyone,

I tweaked some camera effect to make the water and environment look more realistic, this is the result of a few tests with the new effects in the U-352 level.

Final stages of shipbuilding

Sieb
Hi guys!!

As some of you might have seen in the Flying Dutchman Thread. this week has been all about texturing and material blending. I have multiple materials ready in a shader, which can be combined and I can use vertex paint to blend one material over another.

In the following screenshot I am using it to blend algae over the wood material.

Ocean-o-pedia

Trevor

Hey all,

The Oceanopediahas gotten some updates last week. We have optimized our workflow a bit for getting articles in the game as there is a lot that has to happen before we can get it in. For example, nowadays, in order to get a fish in the game ( capturable in the game and visible in the Oceanopedia ) we need the following things:

- We need to have an article written
- We need some properties about the entry ( habitat, diet etc. )
- We need a 3d model of the fish
- We need AI for the fish
- We need 2d images of the object

And then we have to set everything up properly. Before this week this was quite error prone, a simple typo could result in a capture not registering properly for the Oceanopedia, such as was happening with the seahorse. I have made this workflow a bit more fool-proof.
Hopefuly we will get less non-capturable creatures now ;)

Also a thing to note, we have a list of flora and funa we'd like to see in the game. The content creation for these species have a different workflow for the articles and the ingame models. This means that there are some entries which aren't actually capturable in the game yet, or the other way around; there is a fish in the game which does not have an entry yet.

Have a nice weekend!

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
11 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I like the camera effect.

The picture on the right is colored the way it should be in game. The red orange rose sand is killing the immersion IMHO.

up
1 user has voted.

There are still some levels with red sand

up
0 users have voted.
up
10 users have voted.
Mitzu's picture
Poseidon

Great to hear about the net fixes, sounds very difficult to debug it using an external library.

up
8 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for the update. It looks like things are progressing well. I hope that those who have been plagued with connection errors will have some relief now. That is definitely a difficult problem to track down.

up
6 users have voted.

The image on the right for the U-352 level looks really good. Much more realistic than the image on the left.

up
7 users have voted.

Ooh, loving the new look for the U-352 stage. Also, looking forward to the Flying Ducthman stage.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
4 users have voted.
RevanXXXIII's picture
Aye aye captain!

Looking great, guys!