Friday Devblog 26

Ocean-o-Pedia

Trevor
Hi everyone,

This week I have been working on the Oceanopedia again. We are primarily getting it in the game now. It is quite clear to us what we want to have in the oceanopedia. At the moment we are experimenting a bit with the new 3D GUI elements and their interaction.

Check the clip below for the current state of the Oceanopedia. Also note that we worked on the readability of the content!

Dive Shop

David
Hello Everyone,

During this week I have continued working on the dive shop,I worked on the lighting a bit as well as some more props and some other revisions.

More BCD

Sieb
Hello Everyone!

This week I have been working on fixing the new BCD. it now uses a shader which allows you to change the color in engine, I reworked the normal and albedo maps. and I fixed the tube texture. I've also started a new project: it also is a BCD but Mechanical, So it wil work a bit differently than your common BCD units. I hope you guys like it!

Work continues on the Unity 5 integration.

Johann

The status right now is that while a lot of the major code related issues have been fixed, lots of materials, like the character gear materials, still have to be converted to the new Unity Standard shader.
Assides from the Unity 5 integeration, there are a number of tasks that are completed and will be in the next upgrade, like boat color customization and the option to turn off post-processing effects.

- Post processing toggle (you can now turn off post processing effects)

Great white

Davey
Heya!
Welcome back to another Friday devblog.
Slash is going to be amazing when shes done. (I call her Slash because of the scar over her eye)
As of today Slash is able to swim on her own. Shes got some cool animation you can check out in the video.
I am now going to make her jump out of the water, or attack something!
Check back next week to see more of Slash!

Art optimization

Richard
Last week Jesse, Vincent and myself visited the GDC in San Francisco, during a short break we went to visit the Fisherman's Wharf. Docked there was a World War II submarine!
Of course we had to jump on board to capture some reference pictures :-)

Although this is a US submarine and not a German U-boat it was still nice to see all the details within the sub. We definitely need to do another art pass on the U-352 level!

Jesse having fun:

Terrain detail

Vincent

This week I was working on the WoD menu scene to make it Unity 5 ready. Truth be told 'this week' was only yesterday and today because the rest of the week I had a jet lag from the GDC.
The nice thing about the GDC was that Unity 5 is out of the beta and Shader Forge is back and running. Shader Forge is like the name says the editor to create shaders for Unity. Since most of the Unity standard shaders are too simple we rely heavily on the editor. This is for shaders like skin, water, caustics, rocks partial in the water and many more.

History:

Comments

up
7 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Nice !

You've got a typo in the blog history : Devblog 25 is written "Devblog 24".

up
8 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

Thanks, fixed it. Also added my part (blog was not completely done yet :)
up
3 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Nice ! That's when you understand how small the room is in a submarine :) I visitted an old french one fifteen years ago and I fell claustrophobic even though I am not sensible to that in everyday life !

up
8 users have voted.
2shoes's picture
Need for speed-boat

Looking good, I enjoy the communication from the devs on a regular basis. One thing as I am new any plans on controls for volume levels?

up
5 users have voted.

Looking very good, as always.

Raptr Gamercard

up
6 users have voted.

Great looking stuff !!!

up
6 users have voted.
2shoes's picture
Need for speed-boat

Also thinking forward on that shark having it breach would be a great photo op/mission

up
5 users have voted.

Looks great and I just can't wait to see all this ingame.
Question though... Is it important that it's an American sub and not German? Can't we get one of each just for reference? *wink wink nudge nudge*

I follow no path in life. I walk straight and leave a trail for others to follow.

up
2 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Another great update guys.
The Ocean-O-Pedia is coming along nicely Trevor. I like what you are doing with it.
David, the Dive Shop is really coming to life now. It looks like it will be fun to hang out there.
The detail work on the BCD's looks wonderful Sieb. You are doing a fine job with them.
It sounds like you are making good progress on the Unity 5 integration Johann. I know there is a lot of work involved in that. We appreciate your hard work!
I'm loving the work you are doing on the Great White, Davey. I can't wait to see Slash up close in the water.
It will be interesting to see how the U-352 changes, based on your recent submarine visit Richard. I've had a chance to visit a couple of submarines and it was very close quarters. The submariners that I've met really love it, but it would not be my cup of tea.
I love the picture you posted Vincent, the scenery is really looking good. Hopefully you and Jesse and Vincent will get over your jet lag this weekend.
Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for the updates.

up
5 users have voted.

Why must you tease us so with these updates :P the anticipation to see these new updates in the game is unbearable

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
2 users have voted.

The last picture looks really good. Will give a great boost to the graphics

up
1 user has voted.

Looking great so far, devs. Too much anticipation for the update/upgrade. I really do hope you guys incorporate the fish school mechanics of "Subnautica" into the game so that WoD can have some true large, fast swimming groups of fish. Of course, the Subnautica team also need to fix the glitch of them swimming through terrain and other objects.

As for upgrading the U-352, I made a detailed thread on that months ago and you all agreed that the sub needed to be brought up to better detailed standard to that of the actual wreck at the time.

up
1 user has voted.
DarkStarSword's picture
Triton

I'm looking forward to (and dreading) the Unity 5 update. I'm certain that it will completely break the nvidia 3D vision fix I did for this game since all the shaders will have changed, but on the other hand I'll need to look at a Unity 5 game sooner or later and this game should be a good guinea pig to work out any new patterns & complications it brings to the table.

Unfortunately if Ori and the Blind Forest is representative of Unity 5 it seems none of my existing tools will work, and if it also changes to DX11 I might have to work do some serious development work on the wrappers & tools before I can think about fixing it.

Chief Petty Shaderhacker

I fix stereoscopic 3D rendering issues in games with nVidia 3D vision.
Check out my World of Diving 3D fix

up
0 users have voted.
DarkStarSword's picture
Triton

Tools are as ready as they will ever be for the Unity 5 update. I'm glad to have been able to replace Unity Asset Explorer with my own tool to be honest - that thing was always a bottleneck in my workflow, now I can extract all the shader headers in batch to find the matrices I need :-)

It's still an open question as to whether Unity 5 lighting (shadows) shaders will be fixable at all... from the source code it looks like the transformations are the same as Unity 4 suggesting the fix will be similar, but that's only part of the equation and I'm not sure how surface shaders have changed yet, or if I will still have access to any of the matrices I need to fix the lighting shaders.

Chief Petty Shaderhacker

I fix stereoscopic 3D rendering issues in games with nVidia 3D vision.
Check out my World of Diving 3D fix

up
1 user has voted.
Hubersgrillecke's picture
Shark whisperer

nice work ! waiting for chat function...

keep movin ^^

up
2 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Can't wait for the next update, I can, but it's killing me.........

up
2 users have voted.
RevanXXXIII's picture
Aye aye captain!

Can't wait!!!

up
0 users have voted.
Vinny's picture
Shark whisperer

So, where's the Great White Shark...?