Friday Devblog 22

Leap Motion

Johann

Hi! The reason you haven't heard from me for a while is that I've been working on site at a client the last couple of weeks. Now I'm back I will be focussing purely on World of Diving.

The first order of business was implementing the Leap Motion Controller. This device is capable of tracking your hands and fingers in real life, and providing rotations and position in 3D space. With these, you can all sorts of cool stuff. One of the things you can do is rendering some 3D hands, and binding the position and rotation of the hands and fingers to your own.

In World of Diving, we wanted to use Leap Motion to let the player control the hands of their avatars. This is what I've been working on this week. Implementing the Leap Motion package provided with the controller was a piece of cake. A Unity3D implementation with the sensor data retrieval and mapping to bones was already available in the Leap Motion software development kit. Unfortunately there wasn't any code available which does exactly what we want (this is rarely the case, which is why you need programmers).

What happens in the Leap Motion demos is that some hand spawn in the world which you can control with your own hands. There is nothing attached to the hands though, they're just floating hands. In World of Diving, we don't want to see floating hands. Instead, we want the player to control the hands of their avatar. Luckily for us, Unity already provides us with an inverse kinematics system, which enables us to just give it a position and rotation for a hand, which it uses to place the hand while keeping the rest of the arm rotated in a way that it doesn't look like it's completely broken. After implementing this, most of the work left was having it play nice with the rest of the World of Diving features like gestures and tools (you'll want to keep one hand on that camera!).

All and all, it was a fun little project; it sure looks cool seeing your real hands controlling the hands you see in game!

Now that I'm going to be spending all my time working on World of Diving, development is hopefully going to speed up some. Next up is finishing up the Unity 5 implementation.

Swimming with the fishes

Davey
Hey there!
After doing some branches that will be placed in the Okavango level I dove into some fishy stuff! I've made a Oreochromis niloticus, also know as the Nile Tilapia. And a CatFish, it is amazing to play with the reflection those slimy fish give!

The next step will be animating the fish.

Terrain detail

Vincent

This week I was still working on the Okavango Delta. I noticed that it took me a lot of time to paint the terrain with the standard Unity utility's.So I though I try something to that would save me some time. I created the terrain in a program called world machine which let you create a procedural terrain based on filters like Perlin noise. It also contains things like erosion and thermal weathering.
Of course I requires to take some steps back first to get to know the program but I think it will eventually create a better looking terrain with less work

King of the trees

David
This week I mostly worked on other project but did make a start in sculpting a muddy riverbed for the new level.

Low poly

Julian
Hi everyone,

During the week I worked on the low poly model for the nile crocodile and I finished all the textures to work with Unity 5. I worked on the skeleton for the animation and set the first animation pose as you can see on the following pictures:
Enjoy guys!

History:

Comments

up
11 users have voted.

Wow, that Motion Controller is awesome! Great work once again, Vertigo!

Raptr Gamercard

up
8 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

CatFish, it is amazing to play with the reflection those slimy fish give! .Their might be some who take offence at such statements.....;-{

up
5 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

I think the slimy was not referring to it's behavior... but to make it up to you we will name one of the fish to you;)
up
4 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

That's great thanks. Everyone else will be Sooooooooooooo jealous. A catfish called CATFISH.

up
4 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

As for the Leap Motion Controller now i can use my Digital dive watch when it get's put into the game. It is going to be made to work isn't it?

up
4 users have voted.

Looks cool, as always. I hope before work is done on being able to use your fingers work will be done on the issue of multiple controler axis causing problems with the game.

up
4 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Wow ! Me want ! You people roxxx !

up
5 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

You realize your now going to have to sit in front of your screen pretending to hold a camera and pressing the shutter;-)

up
4 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I am not affraid of nothin'.

up
4 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Leap Motion! Wow, you guys never cease to amaze me. I enjoy seeing the progress on the game and the new Okavango level. Great work everyone.

up
5 users have voted.

Two things, first loving the progress that's been going on. My second is I know most people will probably think it, but the motion controlled hands will more then likely get abused in the game with certain gestures. Hate to be a downer about it, I mean that's a great and awesome thing to have, but you know it will happen.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
3 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

And i was only going to use it to scratch my arse.

up
5 users have voted.

Looks cool and all, but why spend time on developping features that hardly anyone can use?

up
4 users have voted.
Puc's picture
Triton

Because we are working together with the guys from leap Motion. And it's a great way to get some extra promotion. So hopefully some extra sales!!
up
2 users have voted.

This made me take a look at the leap motion controller and I might get one, since its so cheap. Will put up a video when I can use it ingame

up
2 users have voted.
Fathom's picture
Poseidon

I agree seems weird, id rather have AIR, 3rd Person, just about anything else? IMOO.

up
2 users have voted.

Time to go get me a leap controller

up
3 users have voted.

Cool stuff!
But do you think this hand tracking is worth that much energy?
Keep it up! I'm always happy to see you being creative!

up
3 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

Under water PIANO. Come on scrap the community shipwreck and start community orchestra.

up
3 users have voted.

Better yet, underwater Air Guitar rock band

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
4 users have voted.
up
3 users have voted.

That Leap Motion controller is awesome and everything is awesome! Keep up the great work guys and have great weekend.

up
2 users have voted.

One drawback about the leap controller, is you need two hands to control you character, but I think it is a great way to communicate!