Friday Devblog 39

Air!

Johann

As shown in the image above, this patch will add the first implementation of air to World of Diving. As described in this week's patch notes, air currently works like this:

- Air supply information is now visible on the diving computer
- Air slowly depletes when submerged and not in a mission
- When out of air you will respawn at the beginning of the level
- Air can be refilled at mission dive bottles
- More air tanks for refilling air will be added later, e.g., on the surface

Keep in mind this is all subject to change. We'll see what you guys think of it before finalizing the design.

Okavango improvements

Lenn
Hello Everyone,

This week I did some more work on the Okavango Delta level.
I improved some assets and added more decoration.

Final stages of shipbuilding

Sieb
Hi guys!!

Nearing the final stages of shipbuilding ^^ The ship model itself is almost done now it still needs some Vertex paint and ambient occlusion bakes but overall it is almost complete :) the next steps include incorporating the ship in its level and building a pretty environment. I included a screenshot of the ship in the unity editor. (side note: this is not the level the ship will in, I am using it as a base to use vertexpaint.)

Crocodile animation tweaks

Davey
Hey guys!

I've spend the whole week tweaking the animation of the crocodile to make it more compatible with our AI system.
Some times the crocodile would twitch because it could not blend two animations properly.
See it like this;
- Animation #1 is the croc walking on land, his Y axis is at +20 (this means his central point is 20cm above the ground)
- Animation #2 is the croc swimming in the water, his Y axis should be 0 (as if his centre is aligned with the water)

This is something that was causing the croc to teleport for 20 units because it could not blend such a distance.
I made it that way that all the animation should be working as they are supposed to do.
This would not have been such a tedious job if the maker of the croc was still here (Our amazing croc maker Julian!), he knew where all the animations started and how they should look.

It took some time but totally worth the ride for you guys!
See y'all in the next blog.

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
9 users have voted.
DarkStarSword's picture
Triton

Looking good :)

Chief Petty Shaderhacker

I fix stereoscopic 3D rendering issues in games with nVidia 3D vision.
Check out my World of Diving 3D fix

up
10 users have voted.

Nice Thumbs Up +10 =)

up
10 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I love the new air feature but I really don't like the air recharge on the missions slots. It is so arcade it looks like a super Mario game, that way. Adding realism and corrupting realism with arcade gameplay feels off.

up
10 users have voted.
JimmyDali's picture
Scuba diver

Totally agree. Love that you have to check O2 levels & refilling tank is mandatory but let's make it more realistic tho!!

up
6 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Now that I tested this new feature, I can see the real problem :

The time underwater is waaaaaay to low. 5 minutes. Vs 30-45 minutes (maybe more, I am not an expert) in real life.

This feature is trying to palliate the low time underwater by giving "bonus".

Please, don't... I urge you. A lot of people if not all are looking for realism and ranting and ranting again because they don't have what they have. Giving them what they litterally wanted (air supply) without giving them the very spirtit of what they wanted (air-suply for realism) feels a little bit like a troll :p

Seriously : 5 minutes underwater doesn't seems to me like a good idea. People wanting to create diving routes and plans will not be able to do it now, or just a little bit, like "ok we go down, we turn around and go up" or "we go down, we go to the first bottle and launch a mission **sight** and then we jump to the next bottle."

I feel that it is a game breaker, it is making this game a child's game with it's own purpose that are no more those presented at the begining.

Now, maybe you chose those times and features randomly for the only purpose of testing but I thought that it was worth saying anyway.

up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

I agree on that, having only that short time gives the (in my oppinion wrong) signal to players to speed up and rush your underwater dive and shorten your rest underwater or seek every 5min a air-bottle.

up
4 users have voted.
RevanXXXIII's picture
Aye aye captain!

Keep up the great work, guys!

up
2 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

Great looking textures, like the frequent updates, Looks fab, good show!

up
3 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Thank you for all work. I really appreciate it.

up
4 users have voted.

It’s a good first step but hopefully in the long turn air is handled more accurately, i.e. 30-40 mins per tank with the option to use 1 or 2 tanks if you want longer dives. Or the more traditional dive game method of you start out with only 5 minutes of air but can upgrade that higher either through rpg like points or tanks as you play and acquiring better ones. Underwater refueling air is a little Arcady; it reminds me of borderland the pre sequel or the original tomb raiders, constantly hunting for air nodes and dyeing because I missed one.

up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Thank you guys for the Update guys :)

Nice nice to have air implemented indead, but only 5min.?
By that it is impossible to explore any area longer than 5min awaya from the air bottles.
Could be 30min at least, or optional 2 bottles of air to take with, each for 15min or alike maye but 5min is way to short in my opinon ;)

I'm getting exited Sieb, great work you all are doing, thank you guys enjoy the weekend :)

up
1 user has voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Maybe the Air-Refill should be done on land before the dive, like choosing the equipment you will take, so you can choose (and maybe save as templates) different settings depending on the deepth and time you wanne dive , whould be more realistic than refilling underwather in a verry arcade style.

The Bismark may need other kind of Air-mix for that deep than Lockheed in which you almost could snorkeling.

I whould find that a cool feature :)

up
1 user has voted.

Keep it up guys, as for me I'm going to check out & have fun with the air.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
3 users have voted.

The time limit given does seem a bit short. It also adds an arcade type feel to the game the way it's implemented. I think the option to choose between an arcade game type implementation, and a realistic one would be good. With the current arcade type implementation, I think adding air whenever you pick up a doubloon (perhaps 15 seconds each or so) would be a lot more fun.

up
2 users have voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon

There should be a refill station on every level, except the Bismark. Maybe the Bismark could be a double tank level. ( more advanced) And it shouldn't bump other players. Air should cost 1 doubloon for a refill.

up
2 users have voted.

With a water pressure of about 7000 PSI, I don't think doubles are going to help on the Bismarck :)

up
2 users have voted.
Target4all's picture
Need for speed-boat

i try it and i think the others are right 5 minute are to littel time to dive on the hilma level.
I need the 5 minute only to swimm to the wreck of the ship ,and on the daily mission
I was close to Death because i stuck on the doors in the Hilma stern to the Crewqarters
too take the Picutre.
Maybe you can do somthing against
finally i will say you make a good job and Thanks :)

up
0 users have voted.
Target4all's picture
Need for speed-boat

The new update with 10 min and the chance to refill the air at the air bottels workt really great for me .
And the air consume level is good so far.
Lowert much my fear of drowning in the game ^^
turn it up to 45 min and i think it will be great.
At least i want say two thumbs up from me to this great work.

up
4 users have voted.

Great update. Shows we are on a good path. But 5 mins of air is a little.... meh!
Otherwise great work.
Love the patch notes!!

I follow no path in life. I walk straight and leave a trail for others to follow.

up
3 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for the great update and the surprise of "air". I find that with the 5 minute air I'm totally focused on quickly finding the next air supply and following a path of tanks. This takes away from being able to explore and having a more relaxed dive for me.

I think we need some kind of balance or options for those who like the challenge and excitement of being on the edge of the "blue screen of death" :) and those who like to chill out with a relaxed dive.

I like the idea of having to plan for air since that is part of the RL experience, so I would not want to completely eliminate it for relaxed dives. It might also be good to have a way to have unlimited air for those who are looking for graphical glitches in this Early Access stage and are not diving to just play the game.

up
2 users have voted.
linksleo's picture
Poseidon

If we're going to have air, let it be done in a most plasable way. however that would be. I'm not a diver so I don't know how long or how deep you can dive in these situtations, or how you keep track of these things. As long as they are implemented in some realworld way this will not turn into an arcade game as stated.