Friday Devblog 62

Graphical user interface conversion V3

Johann
My work continues on converting the user interface to the new Unity UI. The last couple of weeks I've been converting parts of the main menu, and systems used in all parts of the game. For example mouse navigation in the tile controller. It feels great finally being able to navigate the menus with a hardware mouse without the aweful delay we currently have in World of Diving.

Now most of the menu is done, I could finally begin converting the in-game stuff. The systems I've been able to convert this week are the mission markers and the controls help you see in the top of the screen, like 'E - Interact'.

Converting the mission markers solved one of the problems we had using the old GUI system. The problem is that we couldn't easily put interface elements on their own plane. This means that the mission marker was rendered on the HUD plane, which is always in front of you, facing the camera. The down side of this is that the mission marker isn't really 'in the world'. When you look away from it, you'll see it is angled in a weird way. When you look away far enough it'll even be partly clipped and eventually disappear. This is a big problem in VR, because even though the HUD plane is always in front of the player, the player is not always looking that way, and can sometimes completely miss the mission markers.

I've made a short video showing the new mission marker behaviour:

Concept

Bang
I had the pleasure to work on another concept picture for the community shipwreck. It was supposed to be a sketch, but thanks to bad European weather, i stayed in and went overboard with the drawing, turning it into a finished piece. As an artist, it is very hard to call a picture finished because you always want to add more. I am very happy with how the picture turned out, and the plan is to double the size and make it become poster. In upcoming weeks, the weather will probably not going to improve, so there will be plenty of time to add more sea creatures, rocks details, water effects, plants and a lot more. I am looking forward to work further on the extended version and see it come out in a giant print.

These concept images were already posted in the forums, but here they are again:

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 61 November 27
- Devblog 60.5 November 20
- Devblog 60 November 20
- Devblog 59 November 13
- Devblog 58 November 6
- Devblog 57 October 30
- Devblog 56 October 23
- Devblog 55 October 16
- Devblog 54 October 9
- Devblog 53 October 2
- Devblog 52 September 25
- Devblog 51 September 18
- Devblog 50 September 11
- Devblog 49 September 4
- Devblog 48 August 28
- Devblog 47 August 21
- Devblog 46 August 14
- Devblog 45 August 7
- Devblog 44 July 17
- Devblog 43 July 10
- Devblog 42 July 3
- Devblog 41 June 26
- Devblog 40 June 19
- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
5 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Great work Johann. Thanks for sharing the mission marker video, it really shows off what you've been working on.

Bang, I love the concept art. I'm looking forward to seeing how the final dive site turns out. It looks like it will be interesting.

up
1 user has voted.

Any chance on sharing a large version of that third image? I'd love to make it into a desktop wallpaper.

up
0 users have voted.
Johann's picture
Triton

That one is the largest one we have. It is quite large (1819x1017) however. You can get the image at that size by right clicking -> save image.