Friday Devblog 59

Graphical user interface conversion

Johann
Last week I explained why we are converting the graphical user interface to the new Unity UI system. This week I continued my work on the user interface (UI). Because it's a big task, it will still take a couple of weeks.

The UI system I converted this week is something we call the 'tile system'. Lots of elements of the UI in World of Diving use this system to display their content. Because of the visual consistency in WoD's UI elements we created this system to be able to more quickly create new UI elements. Instead of having to create each part of a new UI element, the tile system allows us to fill in the size of the tile grid and then add each of the tiles in their required positions and sizes. The tiles can be anything, ranging from a simple text box to an animated progress bar.

Because of the great number of tiles you can add in World of Diving, converting the tile system took a while. The plus side is however, that when the tile system is fully functional in the new UI system, a great part of the World of Diving interface will be converted.

Brand New Input System

Jeroen
This week I have been busy with fixing a lot of bugs and the integration of a new Input system for our game.
The diving mask overlay was visible on pictures taken with the photocamera, which has been fixed. Positional tracking was disabled in the main menu on SteamVR, which has also been corrected. But because of some other issues (performance related) SteamVR is currently not yet fully supported. There have been some other small tweaks for VR to prevent nausea. The 'open chat' control is now visible as hint in the screen. Lastly, air should no longer be consumed while working on your mission in the 'mission editor'.

The new input system is being worked on at the moment. It includes the ability to do custom bindings for buttons. The technology for this is already present, but the screen where the player can actually change the button mappings is not yet implemented. To be able to do remapping, we also had to improve the system of the input hints (where it shows what button to press for different actions), to be able to show the correct button icons dynamically. It should also fix the issues some people are having with bad Xbox One controller inputs on Windows 10 (and other controller-related issues that people are having).
But more importantly, this should greatly increase the number of controllers that will be supported out of the box. Just a disclaimer beforehand: we do not know yet which controllers will be supported with this system just yet.

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 58 November 6
- Devblog 57 October 30
- Devblog 56 October 23
- Devblog 55 October 16
- Devblog 54 October 9
- Devblog 53 October 2
- Devblog 52 September 25
- Devblog 51 September 18
- Devblog 50 September 11
- Devblog 49 September 4
- Devblog 48 August 28
- Devblog 47 August 21
- Devblog 46 August 14
- Devblog 45 August 7
- Devblog 44 July 17
- Devblog 43 July 10
- Devblog 42 July 3
- Devblog 41 June 26
- Devblog 40 June 19
- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
2 users have voted.
Scuba diver

I can navigate the menu because I know where some options are. Everything else is clipped.

up
2 users have voted.
Scuba diver

The subject line got lost ^. Why are all the menus, like the tool selector and main menu, zoomed in so much?

up
3 users have voted.
JeroenVertigo's picture
Sea admiral

Hi landau, are you playing the beta or the normal version of the game?