Friday Devblog 56

Sea-life behaviour

Zoé
This week I finally finished my marine animal research. Every animal has a catalog with its different characteristics such as minimum and maximum length, diving depth, diet, preferred swimming area, sounds and in which level it is able to appear in. A lot of fish are able to swim in different seas and oceans, for example the Caribbean and Pacific. However there are some marine animals which prefer to live in a specific sea or area.

This means that each levels will contain different kinds of fish compared to other levels as well.

Another thing I researched is animal behavior. For example, is the fish fearless, aggressive, shy or perhaps curious? And which animals will allow human interactions? For example, is the player able to feed the fish or is it too shy? Or how about being able to swim with a dolphin by holding its flippers?

A concept I’ve been coming up with is giving the player the opportunity to fill the Ocean-o-pedia himself. There’ll be a few hints given which informs the player where the animal prefers to swim or hide. Based on the hints the player should be able to find the animal. The ocean-o-pedia will be updated with general information after the player took a picture of the animal.

This way I hope to add another gameplay element to those who would like to learn more about marine animals and to add a bit of diversity and interaction with the Ocean-o-pedia. Next week I’ll be working on gameplay objects and mock-up missions. This way I’ll get to know what kinds of gameplay objects I need in order to make some fun missions and free diving experiences.

Most of this is still concept work. We hope to add all these fish interactions into the game at some point, but at the moment we can't guarantee that all of these features will make it into the initial release.

Collect item objective & Procedural stuff

Jeroen
This week has been another week of many code improvements. First off I finished the collect objective so that it could actually be implemented inside a level. It is now also added to the mission builder, along with some place-holder art for buttons etc.

After making this I soon realised that a collect type objective would work best when the collectable objects would be spawned at the start of an objective or mission and cleaned up afterwards. This would then allowed me to create objectives that actually changed depending on what objects where spawned when starting the objective. For example; if a tea pot was spawned at the start of an objective, that has to be the photograph target.

This was already the case for the daily missions of course, but the code for daily missions wasn't reusable for other purposes. That is why I improved this piece of code so that any object could be randomly spawned and used for an objective, also for 'collect item' type objectives. It also opens door to more easily generate random content for other types of objectives in the future.

Other things I've been busy with is fixing bugs and finding out why the fog in our levels has been looking kind of bland as of lately. It appears there is a way for us to fix this and give it back the nice shading gradient it once had, so stay tuned for more information!

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 55 October 16
- Devblog 54 October 9
- Devblog 53 October 2
- Devblog 52 September 25
- Devblog 51 September 18
- Devblog 50 September 11
- Devblog 49 September 4
- Devblog 48 August 28
- Devblog 47 August 21
- Devblog 46 August 14
- Devblog 45 August 7
- Devblog 44 July 17
- Devblog 43 July 10
- Devblog 42 July 3
- Devblog 41 June 26
- Devblog 40 June 19
- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
3 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Nice work !

About the last update we had several days ago : could you please say what changed then, so we can test it and see if it works ?

up
2 users have voted.
JeroenVertigo's picture
Sea admiral

This update was made with a newer version of Unity and had some VR fixes. But due to this, some graphical glitches have crept in that are being fixed at the moment. So this beta update is only meant for players who want to play in VR (and if this is broken in the live version)

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Thank you Sir !

This unity engine (in general) seems to bring more and more problems at each updates !

You are not the only one who say that. It looks like a good choice at the begining but I am sure that any other engine would have been better for a lot of devs on the long run.

up
4 users have voted.

Hi Jeroen,
Wouldn't it make more sense to updating the water color based on the depth of the diver instead of doing one coloring for each map?
Red & Greens get absorbed so the color should get gradually more blue the deeper one goes below the water level.
I heared that this is allready built in Unity 5.
cheers and thanks for all your bug fixing!

up
2 users have voted.
JeroenVertigo's picture
Sea admiral

Yes, physically realistic lighting is still on the to-do list, but we're saving that for later. Although I'm pretty sure Unity doesn't have something like this built-in, it does provide us color correction functionality which is useful for implement this feature.

What this fix from the dev-blog is about, is the light in-scattering that makes the underwater lighting so much more aesthetically pleasing and also feels more realistic.

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Oh my god, I am glad I am not the only one saying this !

up
4 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

Proper fish AI and environmental interaction is something I've been hoping for since first playing this game. Hopefully it can be eventually integrated in a way that is engaging and interesting for the player.

up
3 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Thank you very much again for VR update. It's been a fantastic amount of work.

up
3 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

The information on sea-life behavior is really interesting Zoé. I hope a lot of your research makes it into the game. It sounds like you're doing a good job of generalizing code Jeroen. Thanks for all your work and for the update.