Friday Devblog 54

Camera Upgrade & Progress

Zoé
This week I’ve been focusing on the camera mechanics to make it more challenging. Keep in mind that realistic photography and photography in games are two different things. Of course I want to keep it as realistic as possible but it needs to be fun and, most importantly, we need to be able to build it. Just like every other post I’ve written so far: these are just concepts and might be changed!

Some of the extra camera features include:
  • Being able to zoom in and out
  • The camera will have a memory restriction
  • There will be a memory album. You’ll be able to look up your photos and delete them if you want. This’ll replace the current memory.
  • Depth of field. This is an extra challenge because you’ll need to focus, otherwise the picture will be blurry.

Another thing I wanted to share with you guys is progression. How will you level throughout this game? I explained two weeks ago that there’ll be four jobs. For now we decided to stick to three; archeology, marine biology and photography.
Each job has a certain amount of levels and leveling up will unlock new tools and items. The unlockable tools and items are unique. For example, marine biology level 2 gives you a knife whereas archeology level 2 will give you shovel.
Completing missions will give you a big amount of experience. However this experience is for one job only. For example, you’ll earn experience in the archeology level when you’ve completed an archeology mission. Leveling while free diving is different compared to mission mode. Before I explain more about this, I want to give a reminder that the free diving mode is about diving freely and not about diving without air tanks. But free diving without air is on the idea list, don’t worry.
In the free diving mode you’ll be able to interact with animals and various objects. You’ll earn experience based on the interaction you perform. For example, you’ll earn marine biology experience when you save a dolphin from a fishing net.

There’s also going to be a general level. This level adds up all the job experiences you already have earned. However, instead of unlocking items and tools, this level unlocks boosts. For example a speed boost.

Multiplayer & VR fixes and Passive tools

Jeroen
This week I've been busy with fixing several bugs, but more importantly with setting up code for new features!

First off, squashing the bugs! Community missions weren't being started correctly in multi-player matches. There was some code refinement necessary to fix this problem. Now the master diver will first load the mission from Steam Workshop and when successful it will send a network message to other players to start loading that mission. Because there is a possibility for Steam Workshop mission loading to fail, we have to handle these special cases. For now we just disconnect the clients that failed to load the community mission for some reason (this can be because of a bad connection, Steam has gone offline etc.). There is now also a loading indicator when the community mission is loaded. The community mission terminal will now also show a message when you are running Steam in offline mode (and thus the community missions can't be started).

We have also updated to the latest Unity version which seems to have fixed the VR issues we had before. It also fixed some graphical issues, but because we actually used wrong settings in our game before to work around these issues, it now doesn't look as it should. So this will be tweaked soon and after that a beta will be set up so people with Oculus runtime v0.7 can play the game again.

I have also started reworking some code for a passive tool system. Passive tools are tools which do not need to be equipped, but still have a function of their own.
Currently the head light is the only passive tool, but this allows us to easily add new passive tools in the future. What could these passive tools be? This is mostly up to Zoé and what comes out of our brainstorm sessions. I leave it up to her to enlighten you guys with our ideas in the coming weeks!

3D printing

Johann
It was a short week for me, as I'm going on vacation for 3 weeks, starting Thursday. Because of this, I couldn't commit to large time consuming tasks. Instead, I decided to implement the EUCL3D 3D print feature. This was on the to-do list for some time already. The main reason for implementing this is it'll get us some exposure later on.

EUCL3D offers a way to 3D print custom models from within a game. We thought it'd be cool to be able to print your character the way you've customized it. Implementing this was fairly easy. EUCL3D had already provided a way to send a model to them from a Unity game. The information sent includes things like the different shapes (in our case the character model and your equipped items) and their colors.

You can choose to print your character from the customization screen. Then you can enter your information for shipping and your credit card information. Finally, EUCL3D will start the printing process and will contact you if there are any problems.

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 53 October 2
- Devblog 52 September 25
- Devblog 51 September 18
- Devblog 50 September 11
- Devblog 49 September 4
- Devblog 48 August 28
- Devblog 47 August 21
- Devblog 46 August 14
- Devblog 45 August 7
- Devblog 44 July 17
- Devblog 43 July 10
- Devblog 42 July 3
- Devblog 41 June 26
- Devblog 40 June 19
- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
7 users have voted.
Spudnic240 Of The Sea's picture
Triton

Great news about the camera although its still just a concept like that last posts.. Cant 3D printing wait? Or is there nothing else to do.

up
5 users have voted.
Hubersgrillecke's picture
Shark whisperer

The game doesnt start anymore... have to delete and install again if its finished ;)
Zoe ? Wanna go out ? :)

up
6 users have voted.

Really like what I'm hearing, seems like you bring a lot of great ideas. How do all this connect with the current roadmap?

up
4 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

The new camera features sound interesting as well as the plans for game progression.
Have a great vacation Johann!

up
3 users have voted.

The Camera sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing it in the game (when it's implemented)and spending some time playing with it on my days off from work.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
0 users have voted.
Scuba diver

The game doesn't work in VR with my setup. When I start the game a tiny window of the game shows on my monitor and my Rift shows the warning message, but I can't see anything through the rift. The camera in game does move when I look around in the rift. :(

Setup
-------------
- Windows 7
- Runtime: 0.7

up
0 users have voted.
JeroenVertigo's picture
Sea admiral

Hi,
We are aware that there are problems with VR at the moment, specifically for users with runtime 0.7. We have already fixed this internally but the update is not ready for release yet. Keep watch for this new update and you will be able to play VR as normal again.