Friday Devblog 52

Update 0.16.2

Johann
The latest update to World of Diving went live yesterday. In this update, we've removed the need to log in to divegame.net to play the game. The most notable other changes are improved fish performance and behaviour (still work in progress). Other than these changes, of course lots of bugs have been fixed.

In the beginning of September, we've decided to move some things around on the priority list. Lots of people still had problems logging in, and couldn't always play. Because removing the need to log in was already planned anyway, we decided to move that up the list and do it straight away. This has resulted in all the tasks of the coming month being moved down a month. The roadmap has been updated to show this change.

If you're checking out the update, you might have some problems connecting with Steam Workshop. These could include sometimes having an empty community mission terminal, or having to click the 'My missions' button twice before you get any results. We are currently working on improving this.

Gameplay concepts

Zoé
Let’s talk about the upcoming gameplay in World of Diving. Before I go on about all the things we’ve been brainstorming about I wanted to warn you that this is not definitive. Everything is still a concept and it might be changed. I’ve been doing a lot of research about diving and the different kinds of aspects of it. I came up with the idea to split the game up in three different gameplay styles; single player mission mode, multiplayer and free diving. Today I will zoom in on the single player mission mode.

When the player finishes the tutorial they are able to meet four people working in the world below the surface. The player can choose to be an underwater photographer, technician, biologist or an archeologist. Each job has their own progression levels, missions and mechanics. Now you might think this sounds more like a RPG mode but the focus is on exploration rather than the story. There will be a story but it will only guide the player through the missions in a fun way.

The player can progress in a level by completing missions, daily missions and map completions. When leveling up, the player receives new items or upgraded ones. The player can also unlock new items in the store or unlock even better upgrades for them. Choosing a job doesn’t mean you need to complete it to the maximum level before you can try another job. The idea is to save the current progression when the player switches to another job and when the player switches back, you should be able to carry on.

So what do these jobs include? Unfortunately this is still a work in progress and it is subject to change. However, this is what we have in mind at this very moment.

Photographer:
The photographer will be focusing mostly on photographing. However photographing is going to be a lot more challenging. A photograph is just a click away at this moment but we’re going to add some more features to make it more interesting.

Technician:
This job is about repairing underwater structures but there might be a chance, if you have nerves of steel that you will be dismantling bombs too.

Biologist:
The biologist is going to be all about the sea life. Not just rescuing our precious animals but also the sea environment. Besides, the biologist might get to know more about the sea than any other job.

Archeologist:
Archeologists are all about discovery. It’s not only about finding wrecks and objects, but also about lost and hidden treasures.

Bug fixing and testing

Jeroen
This week I have been busy with many fixes to many features that were changed because of the change to local save games as well as fixing bugs and doing tweaks to other things.

Some examples: Daily mission picture objects are not despawned in multiplayer, causing other players to not be able to complete the mission. The cursor is now properly visible on message boxes and improved the way showing the mouse cursor is handled. The upload avatar button has now been added to the divegame.net profile view and made functional again (so this can only been done after you are linked to divegame.net).Also, in preperation of future missions that will reward more than just XP (including the ones that already do during seasonal missions), console messages for gaining coins, pearls and unlocked items are working again.

A few multiplayer bugs have also been fixed: joining another player in Steam through pressing 'join game' or when another player invites you to their game. This had issues when the player was already in another session causing the player to return to the main menu without joining the session. Also when trying to join the game when it has not been started up, this would not automatically cause the join process. These have been fixed as well.

Lastly, for the release of the latest update with offline play + Steam cloud & workshop (see changelog), we did a lot of testing to find out where crucial issues remained and what small bugs will need to be fixed in a future update.

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 51 September 18
- Devblog 50 September 11
- Devblog 49 September 4
- Devblog 48 August 28
- Devblog 47 August 21
- Devblog 46 August 14
- Devblog 45 August 7
- Devblog 44 July 17
- Devblog 43 July 10
- Devblog 42 July 3
- Devblog 41 June 26
- Devblog 40 June 19
- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
3 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

It is strange to see your blog now, because of your trello I am already aware of things that are anounced here for the first time :D

But, I must say I didn't see the RPG side of it comming. Zoe came with great ideas there and it is a great surprise and will give a lot of depth to this game.

As an underwater photographer, I am thrilled to see those jobs at work. I suppose it will not be possible, but a job of photographer (player character) + model (player character(s) ) would be also great. But it would require some costumes and all and that's a lot of work, and maybe for a small niche, so I undertand if this idea is discarded quickly !

I have a bug to repport : the first time I tested the update, the regulator was black. I suppose it is due to the storry where player is supposed to start without regulator at all but anyhow.

I am waiting to see all those good ideas set in place !

Take care !

up
4 users have voted.
Spudnic240 Of The Sea's picture
Triton

When me and piggly had our dive with ''Zoé'' these where some of the suggestions Piggly Wiggly and I gave. I'm glad that ''Zoé'' took the time to talk to us and help shape the ideas we gave her and she gave us.

More DEV diving FTW xD.

up
5 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

I'm excited to hear about the single player mission mode. It sounds like it will be fun. Thanks Spudnic and Piggly for passing your suggestions along.

up
2 users have voted.

Sounds AWSOME!

up
2 users have voted.

Love the idea with jobs to take on. I for one would go straight to the archeologist line and stick to it until the end =D.
Something like a career(?) in WoD is good thinking since it will help the players to actually have a goal in "life" as a diver.

I follow no path in life. I walk straight and leave a trail for others to follow.

up
5 users have voted.
Scuba diver

This game has such great potential, but it seems like this product is suffering from feature overload. In my opinion, development should be focused on VR experience, multiplayer, and environment interaction. This game would be great if it had 1 (maybe 2) really nice levels. You don't need objectives and missions. Why not just look for creatures underneath rocks? A pearl in clam is cool, but how sweet would it be if you could scare a fish out from hiding because you took a close look at it in some coral?! This game should give me, a person without a scuba license, the opportunity to have a perfect dive every time I play.

Consider hitting 2 birds with one stone. You could create 2 levels out one by simply making a "night" or "evening" dive where the lighting changes and the types of fish are different. You get 2 experiences from a familiar landscape with the added benefit of no development time on the layout or coral in the level.

I imagine it is difficult to get a VR game off the ground, but it will be even more difficult if you worry about features like wetsuits, objectives, "beginning game flow" and equipment shops. Those are great ideas, but implement them later. It's a small win for users and a big time waster for devs. Especially if the feature has bugs. Now a dev has to spend time fixing a bug on a feature that doesn't really help immerse users.

I've been quite on these forums and I have heard others complain that there is too much focus on making this a game rather than a VR experience. I think it is an unwise decision If the goal is intended to be a game or both.

I hope you guys go the route of immersion. It is especially wise with PS4 getting a VR headset. You guys better make a good scuba experience before EA does!

Also, I can't play WoD. Is that because it doesn't work with Rift Runtime 0.7?

up
2 users have voted.
Zuzu's picture
Need for speed-boat

Hi landau, thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it! While reading the forum I realized there are two kinds of players. Some prefer to have a purpose, such as the mission mode and other players prefer to be able to do what they feel like doing with the tools they are given. For example being able to swim around and discover things on your own, without being forced to complete missions. I wanted to keep both kinds of players happy so I came up with the mission and free diving mode. Please stay tuned for the next friday dev blog in which I'll give a preview about free diving and I'll be looking forward to your feedback. The concepts are still concepts which means that they can change and adapt. This is why I love to hear feedback and perspectives I've not thought about. I have informed my collegues about not being able to play WoD with Rift Runtime 0.7, they are currently working on it.
up
3 users have voted.
Scuba diver

Developers are too expensive to waste time on features like credits. Also, I saw the "air capacity" feature listed. Please DON'T add that. It will ruin immersion and multiplayer fun. The beauty of playing in a video game is that you don't need to follow the rules. I don't want to be interrupted to go get more air when I'm enjoying a dive. I have seen others complain about this feature in the past.

up
2 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

A lot of people are demanding more realistic dive mechanics, and that will include proper air management.

Hopefully, they'll have multiple game modes so that people who want a more realistic simulation can have it, and others can have a more relaxed version.

up
1 user has voted.
Scuba diver

I'm not against an air capacity feature, but it seems like it should be put on the back burner and focus should be on VR immersion, multiplayer, and environment interaction. In fact, I'd cut out multiplayer for priorities being set on VR immersion and environment interaction. User's will be patient if those 2/3 facets are satisfied. Hell, many of already are patient. 1 or 2 REALLY good levels with deep immersion is enough to keep me hooked everyday!

up
3 users have voted.

Many people like myself wan't an immersive diving simulation and not an arcade game. A big part of diving is air consumption and buoyancy. A real bottle of air (depending on depth and physical work) will last for an hour or more. So you won't need to hustle.

up
2 users have voted.
Scuba diver

Why can't I edit a previous post? Another reason not to do air supply is that is introduces more room for error and doesn't improve immersion!

up
4 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

The gameplay concepts sound interesting. I'm most intrigued by the Archeologist option, since that gives the most possibility for narrative-driven gameplay. Exploring an undersea wreck could take on a more dramatic form if the player is first introduced to the circumstances surrounding its sinking.

Photographer sounds like an obvious one given the already included camera.

Biologist could be interesting, but it would require a significant update to the existing flora and fauna to make them more dynamic.

Only idea I'm not really sold on is the Technician option. I guess we'll have to wait to see how that one develops.

up
4 users have voted.
Zuzu's picture
Need for speed-boat

I wanted to give players the opportunity to choose a job of their likings, this is why I choose to add a bit of diversity to them. Some may like a job and another won't. Technician will mostly be based on commercial diving and I thought this is an interesting aspect to add as not many know about this job and there is a lot of opportunity to expand it.
up
2 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

I'm sorry but this version doesn't work with Oculus VR. I tested on win7 64bit and win10 64bit operation system. Last version was good with windows 10 64bit. I don't understand what could be wrong.

up
4 users have voted.
JeroenVertigo's picture
Sea admiral

We are currently investigating what is going wrong with the VR startup. When we have a fix, we will probably upload this version to the 'beta' branch (and then go live to the normal branch with the next big update).

up
3 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Ok, thank you very much. I'm waiting for update.

up
3 users have voted.
JeroenVertigo's picture
Sea admiral

We have updated the beta, this version should fix some bugs related to VR. Please check that out. Are you using the Oculus runtime 0.7.0.0 or 0.6.0.0?

Please try the following troubleshooting options if that doesn't work:
- Update to Oculus runtime 0.7.0.0
- Connect and turn on your oculus rift, then restart your computer
- Start World of Diving in normal mode, set screen resolution to 1920x1080 and fullscreen, quit game
- Try VR mode again (NOT the SteamVR version)

up
1 user has voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for idea, but VR mod didn't work. I used Win10-64bit, Oculus runtime 0.7.0.0 and GTX980 with 355.83 driver. I started VR mode but oculus display doesn't worked. PC display worked.

up
0 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Doesn't work here either.

I have a small window opening on my main screen while my Oculus Rfit has nothing on screen except the warning of Oculus Rift.

Same problem when I play normally and change to 1080p.

I can enlarge the small window by taping control + enter to have full screen but the full screen stay on the desktop display.