Friday Devblog 49

Bug fixing and disconnecting from divegame.net

Johann
After the last update, a lot of people were having problems with a lot of things, so we decided to revert to the previous version. Lots and lots of things had changed with the update to improve performance. Because of this, some systems (like the picture target frames) were altered so their code is faster. This caused all kind of problems, which we've been fixing this week.

Having a new version of World of Diving is not a good thing, as each update is a really big download. This, while not a lot of big files are changed. Unfortunately this is out of our control, but Unity does have something planned to try and solve this in a few months.

Another thing I've been working on is removing links in the game to divegame.net. Although this was initially planned for early next year, we've decided do it right away, as a lot of people still have problems logging in, or just don't want to create an account on a website just to play the game. The work done on this has been mainly thinking everything through and making sure we have a 'local' solution to all of the web service requests on divegame.net. We'll start implementing this next week.

AI update

Trevor
Hi all,

We are planning to do aesthetic changes to our creatures in the near future. For this a lot of preparative work has to be done. I have been working on these preparations this week and will continue to do so the coming week.

Changes I have done last week include but are not limited to:
- All creatures have a default configuration which just works, animation speed reliant on their force, smoothing of rotations. From our editor point of view it's near impossible to mess up the settings for the fish now as we enforce all required default settings by default
- All creatures are now animated through an animation controller instead of the legacy animation controller of Unity. This means we can easily make dynamic and eventually procedural animations whereas the old system is very limited to static animations. Quick changes you will already see in the next version of the game is that animations are dependent on the acceleration of creatures.
- Better level of detail system; we now not only change the visual detail of creatures when they are further away or not in vision, but also the AI and the animations. This leaves more computational power for other tasks ( or more creatures! )

Next week I will work on ironing out the current issues with creatures and preparing the framework more for future changes.

Bug fixing and a public Trello

Jeroen
This week we've been hard at work to fix some critical bugs that were found in the latest version. Admittedly the game has been in a bad state last release, but many bugs are now being crushed one at a time.

Multiplayer errors have been fixed and the animations of other players walking on the surface in a multiplayer game have been fixed (better late than never).
Another bug has been squashed in the Brony level; the sea horse mission could not be completed because some of those were stuck in the ships mast. They are now free to move again.
There were a few minor graphical glitches which required fixing. Much of the games visuals, like shadows & shading on rocks and even the players, have been a little bit weird looking. This week we have been tweaking many of these visuals in several levels and we will continue to tweak these during the start of next week. In the end the visual appeal of all the levels should be more like is was before the Unity 5.0 update. The art look and feel is an ongoing evolving process, but from the next patch and onward there should be less obviously invalid lighting and shadows in all levels.

To see all the changes, bug fixes and task we have completed, you can now go to our WoD Trello page and see what is happening and what's up next for development. Have a good weekend!

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 48 August 28
- Devblog 47 August 21
- Devblog 46 August 14
- Devblog 45 August 7
- Devblog 44 July 17
- Devblog 43 July 10
- Devblog 42 July 3
- Devblog 41 June 26
- Devblog 40 June 19
- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
5 users have voted.
Spudnic240 Of The Sea's picture
Triton

Very glad to see you are using trello now! And I'm looking forward to seeing more things done soon xD

up
4 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Nice work, waiting for the next update and this trello thing shows a lot transparency.

up
5 users have voted.

Very nice to be able to see what you're working on.

up
5 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Thaks for all work!

up
5 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for the update and for making Trello available for us to look at. It looks like you have a realistic and well focused plan. Great job guys.

up
3 users have voted.
CodFishLoob's picture
Need for speed-boat

So I wanted to try the Unity 5 (not VR) but I didn't remember how to switch back so I tried the code again and it wouldn't work. :( Please help guys!

up
4 users have voted.
CodFishLoob's picture
Need for speed-boat

can't edit but i wanted to say
I really miss regular WOD. Btw thanks for working so hard on WOD! It means a lot!

up
3 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Sorry, not possible to go back now. We had a glimpse of the next update and it is becoming better
Not yet like before but better nonetheless.

Take care !

up
0 users have voted.
CodFishLoob's picture
Need for speed-boat

Thanks for the info.
So just to clarify you're talking about when they said to type in the code to try it, right?

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon
up
0 users have voted.

"There were a few minor graphical glitches which required fixing." Minor? There is a LOT of major graphical issues that have been fixed since Unity 4 days.