Friday Devblog 48

Build preparation

Johann
This week I've been busy preparing today's update, World of Diving v0.15.10. This was mainly adding the remaining roadmap items (Egyptsun community suits and tweaking the inflator/air particles), and fixing bugs.

Richard was busy tweaking the visuals in some of the levels (diving base and U-352), and requested being able to spawn on the surface. I've implemented this, so now you start in the diving shop in diving base. This is mainly some preparation for the start flow of the game later on.

Fixing bugs was mainly about the bug posts on the forum, things like picture frames not disappearing after completing an objecting and the '... miles underwater' achievements not working anymore. The picture frames are not perfect yet, they still disappear seamingly at random when the object is in view. This is a major bug and will be fixed as soon as possible.

Next week I'll be beginning with the September milestones, like the collect and go-to objective types.

Have a great weekend!

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 47 August 21
- Devblog 46 August 14
- Devblog 45 August 7
- Devblog 44 July 17
- Devblog 43 July 10
- Devblog 42 July 3
- Devblog 41 June 26
- Devblog 40 June 19
- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
7 users have voted.

when will the update be available?
cheers and thanks!

up
4 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Hey there !

When you say "today's update", you mean an update that will be uploaded today ?

Anyhow I am thrilled to see the work of Egyptsun !

I hope the pinky orangy bubble gum colors will be off soon too because for now I am not playing because of that :)

Take care and keep up the good work !

up
5 users have voted.
Johann's picture
Triton

Yes, the update just went live.
up
5 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Downloading presently :)

up
6 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I have zones that are completely dark in the home screen. And the character too. I will try to verify local content and let you know.

up
4 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Cannot edit here so I doublepost :

Problem solved by verifying the integrity of the cache in the game option in steam. (right click, properties, local files)

up
6 users have voted.
Need for speed-boat

My game is full of glitches. Verifying local files gives nothing. Black sea at starting screen, huge pop-up and "dancing" rocks at the diving base. Shadows are pitch black. The post-processing option is not working anymore....wrong lightning effect on the beach near the boat. Several misplaced plants, fish behavior is still a mess.

I'm speechless...

up
5 users have voted.

First of all thank you for the update!
I'm happy to see my suits for the first time in the game!

You wrote about bug fixing and tweaking:
Unfortunately there are more bugs now in the game than before and it does not run stable.
The water is milky again, rocks are missing and the corals hang in the air/water and this happened also in the U-352 map and the diving base.
Rocks and corals are loaded in low voxel resolution and change its shape really close to the diver.
Please don't wait for a big update and fix this.
If you don't have the time to fix than go back to the old version, because it would be bad PR for this game and for new people.

Don't get me wrong. I really like this game and I want to contribute and help you guys to get WOD to the best diving simultation ever!

all the best and a nice weekend!
cheers,

up
3 users have voted.
CATFISH's picture
Poseidon

Thank you Egyptsun for putting in the time and effort for the suits it is appreciated as is all your posts THANK YOU.

up
2 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

So, to be more complete than my "speacless" fellow.
- better fishes : well they are not yet implemented. The roadmap says it will be preparatory modification to implement them further more.
- Misplaced rocks : I didn't dive enough to see them.
- Shadows : at last ! Real shadows ! Going in dark places means at last going in dark places ! THANK YOU very much !
- Colors : the sand is blue, at last. The light refraction we can see on the ground is still too orange for me (it should be white at most) but blue sand is blue and at last we are underwater again ! I feel there is still something off but I can't say what exactly. I will let more expert than me understand and correct that. Me, I don't have pink or orange so I am happy !
- New bubbles : I am not found of that. They looks too... "smokey", because of the small particles, I suppose.
- The big bug of (black) death : So indeed verifying the cache doesn't change anything. It is actually random. I had it only on lauching screen, only the first time I got there. After diving in any map, it removes itselfs. I strongly suggest you don't go back in time : this version is good, just debug it. (for those who don't know, if there is some things that are back and shouldn't be back, it is probably a version problem and can be solve easily without having to go back and forth)

So : for the first time I managed to play this game and enjoy it again. Not as much as before when it was unity 4, because unity 5 engine still need to be tweaked correctly, visualy speaking. (I suppose you have someone who will be able to standardize everything. Baby steps, works fine)

So. I check the road map for august :

- Bugfixes N/A : I can't say anything. I don't care about bugs, I come from Bethesda and Paradox games :p So I let my fellow "speachless"... well.... speak.
- Egyptsun suits Ok ? : It is great, but I have only two of them. I thought Egyptsun had done more. Anyhow, they are free for me so I won't complain.
- VR movement style N/A : I didn't test the VR so far (I can't manage to start my VR, even with the demo mode and after the runtime upgrade to 0.7). I will do an update (again...) or a special post just for that. That is the ONE thing I fear the most.
- Fish performance OK ? : well, you are peparing the incorporation, I can only trust you since it is transparent changes. But if you do that, you respect your roadmap.
- Performance :
-- VIsibility OK ? : my config works fine, always à 60fps for now. will upgrade later in the VR post.
--Object separation OK ? : transparent so I cannot say anything about that. Still, FPS is increased, so...
-- Level of details OK ? : I didn't see any hard transition between farn, mid, near and very near textures, but it doesn't mean I won't.

- New regulator bubbles OK : well it is done. Already said what I had to say about that, though.

So technically, I am unable to say that you didn't follow the roadmap, and when I am able to say, I can see that you did. I can hear though that bugs are still a concern for other players.

up
4 users have voted.
Need for speed-boat

Just to clarify: I am NOT in the mood for a fanboy/hater debate, mainly because I am neither a fanboy nor a hater, I simply played WoD since the backers' times and now, after more than a year, this is NOT the game we used to play. Period.

Now, for "completeness":

To "fix" the black sea and non-working postprocessing option at the main menu: start a diving, close session and when you get back, water will be fixed and postprocessing option will work as intended.

Shadows - I invite you to dive into the Nile site and check the underwater shadows, there are several black textures covering the original textures. To have pitch black textures in place of a shadow system is not the way to go. Reference pic : http://i.imgur.com/XxdnKIw.jpg

If postprocessing is ON, way too shiny shaders, reference: http://imgur.com/a/r4QaI#0 . Problem is that even with pp OFF, the setting is too strong.

There are not only misplaced rocks but misplaced plants (detached from the terrain, as usual) and also questionable placements. Check the statue in the diving base. Reference: http://i.imgur.com/5Da0lUq.jpg

Misplaced rocks: I should have said missing rock also. Have some: http://imgur.com/a/nOZ42#0

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

So,

You are not speechless afterall ?

Good.

Now about VR : The official occulus statement on their forum, answering all the people that cannot play anymore is that :

"You'll need at least an Nvidia GTX 600 series. Very sorry." ( https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&p=292843 )

So I will try to find a workaround but for now, I am out.

up
3 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Anahita, thank you for information. I have GTX 970 but VOD don't work with oculus rift without Friday update. I tested with oculus sdk 0.0.6 and 0.7, but didn't work. Earlier version was good with Oculus Rift. Does anyone have a similar problem?

up
2 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

De nada :)

If you check the whole thread, you may see a lot of workarounds, some of them are said to work but since my geforce 580 is too old I cannot test it :

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=25888&sid=c5d02d9a1810869...

It is not specificly related to WoD but in this there is one saying that it works with WoD but he has some problems, while others says that they can't play anyting anymore, even the demo included in the runtime.

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

(sorry for the multiple posts and there will probably be more since this a lot of things are occuring in a small period of time and the blog doesn't have a function to edit posts. Remove my xp if you wish : my posts are only here to help)

Nvidia released drivers with supports of 0.7 oculus :

https://developer.nvidia.com/oculus-07-sdk-driver-support

I didn't test it yet , though.

up
0 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

All right, so here is the end of it :

The oculus demo works : the oculus switch become blue and it display the demo.
On the other hand, WoD doesn't works for me : while the switch become blue (before, it stayed orange) and lit on, the normal screen displays the video and the oculus displays nothing but black. It works though, just that the signal is not allocated to the correct periferal (and is not in 3D : the screen shows a normal display, not an oculus display. Meaning : it is not a clone : the game just display to the wrong channel and send a wrong image)

It could be due to the fact that I used the code I showed you earlier, so maybe you'll have more luck than me.

up
1 user has voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Gracias! Voy a intentarlo :)

up
1 user has voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Gracias de nuevo!
I followed this setup instruction and the game ran with the oculus. There are some flaws, but at least started.
Operation system is Windows 10 and Oculus SDK is 0.7 runtime.

Setup instruction from oculus forum:

1 . disconnect both the USB and HDMI cables .
2. Uninstall both OCULUS runtime and Oculus head movement management .
3. install nVidia driver 355.83 .
4. restart your system.
5. Connect both USB and HDMI back to their slots.
6. Install 0.7 runtime
7. Restart your system one more time and it should be working .

And there is for "No tracker attached' message.
I installed the previous Runtime, and installed the new one...worked like a charm.

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Thank you :) will try that when possible!

up
0 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

So : multiposting again.

Tested it without doing what you said, because WoD has been updated and now it works. No hands (as anounced by the dev team) and a strange problem of position/direction calibration (WoD never had this problem before, and Oculus rift apps should not have a problem like that since the IR cam is precisely there to prevent problems like that.) but it works. Couldn't play more because of the calibration problem. I will try againw hen this will be solved :)

up
2 users have voted.
Need for speed-boat

I am speechless towards a non-existing direction (both technical and artistic) for this game and for a team completely lost in the Unity 5 development. But I can write about bugs and glitches of an update I think no one is happy with. This with or without you feeling good about it or anything else.

up
0 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

I suggest, then, that you read the roadmap for directions. Your first post mention things that were not for this month.
But your second post shows bugs that needs to be adressed.

As for ethics... just check my signature... This game will not be finished before may 2016.

up
4 users have voted.

The overall look of most levels is better, but the details aren't as good as in the previous version. The caustics in the shadows is the most noticeable issue. Also, textures seem to be losing most of their colors whenever they're in shadows. This is most easily noticed by go the Brony level and looking at the figurehead. The portions in direct light will show their colors, while the portions in the shadows look like a base wood texture. Shining the headlight on the portion in shadows will show the colors that are there.

up
2 users have voted.

Still way too many bugs for my liking and the green water in the Lockheed level looks terrible. Bring back the beautiful look of the water when it was in Unity 4. The Bismarck area another location I dislike now, where I loved it in Unity 4. Instead of being realistically pitch black, it's like the whole area is in an illuminated fog. Don't get me started on the interior design for the submarine or that it's stupidly flooded.

up
2 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Actually the game has been downgraded to the previous version, so I think (or suppose) you have seen the "bad" version again.

But I agree completely with you, even with the "green" water. I am really found of the new (well, old, since it is no more implemented) colors only because there were no red/orange/pink tex avery colors.

A suggestion I have to the devs : either you take your own work on unity 4 as color example and work from there and reproduce what was there, with the realistic updates possibles in unity 5 (shadows, dark areas, refractions and reflections, and so forth) or invest in a trip, go there and take pictures yourselves, without any optical filters of any kind (because water can be virtually purple or yellow or red if you use a filter...) and check your white balance and create from that.

Or, you can check online with underwater photographers having taken pictures of your locations. The only problem is you don't know exactly what filter they used and if they transformed the image, but at least you'll have something coherent.

In any case, it is not my absolute wish to see those colors better for now. As soon as they are great in may 2016, I am in.

It would be just interesting to know if you understand those things since the begining and decided to put that aside and work on it later, or if you really need help about that ^^

up
0 users have voted.
CodFishLoob's picture
Need for speed-boat

So I wanted to try the Unity 5 (not VR) but I didn't remember how to switch back so I tried the code again and it wouldn't work. :( Please help guys!

up
1 user has voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

There is a code to switch back?

up
0 users have voted.
CodFishLoob's picture
Need for speed-boat

That's the problem. I don't know HOW to switch back and I thought I would try using the same code but it didn't work.