Friday Devblog 47

New VR movement style

Johann
This week I've finishes the new VR movement style to reduce nausea. This new movement style uses the player's head rotation in real life to rotate the player, instead of direct input from devices like gamepads or the mouse. Some changes have been made compared to the initial design.

The initial design was something like this:
- When you look to the right in real life, the player will keep rotating to the right when swimming
- The further you look the the right, the faster the player rotates to the right
- The faster you swim, the faster the player rotates

After giving this a try, it still made some people nauseous. It was a big improvement over the original system though, getting quick rotation in the game without rotating your head really makes you nauseous. The people who tried this and got nauseous thought it had something to do with the rotation speed being dependent on how fast you were swimming.

To fix this, we've changed it to this:
- When you look to the right in real life, the player will keep rotating to the right
- There's a dead-zone in the middle so you have to look further than a certain angle before you start rotating
- You also rotate when not swimming (being still)
- The further you look the the right, the faster the player rotates to the right

The tests after these last changes made no one nauseous, so we've decided to go with that. Swimming around in VR feels much more intuitive, and less controls are needed which is a great improvement overall.

AI update

Trevor
Last week I have once again been working on the new AI system. The system is 90% in place internally, and so I started updating all the current AI with the new AI system. This is a tedious job but it gives nice results:

It will be a short one for me this week, I want to push some changes before leaving for the weekend ;) In the future I'll probably make a write-up about the new AI system.

Progress on the Flying Dutchman

Davey
Heya!

The Flying Dutchman level is almost finished and we are very excited to show you another little teaser to get you started on this amazing community level. There is a brief moment where you can almost see the treasure chest ;) There is something else in the level you all have seen before but hasnt got it's introduction in the game yet. For now it is static and will be an teaser untill it works. It is not in the video so you have to search for it when the level get's added. Enjoy and tell me what you think here!.

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 46 August 14
- Devblog 45 August 7
- Devblog 44 July 17
- Devblog 43 July 10
- Devblog 42 July 3
- Devblog 41 June 26
- Devblog 40 June 19
- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
6 users have voted.
Anahita's picture
Poseidon

Nice !

About vr : do you think it is possible to let us choose ? Just one box to tic is not so hard to add and a lot of us just love the fact that we may move in one direction while watching in an other.

up
7 users have voted.
Shmann's picture
Thanks for all the fish

At the beginning of the early access programm you said that you are going to stick all maps together in a big world after a long time. Is this still your current plan? Because it´s have to be difficult to stick all different types of levels together. I hope you can answer me :S

and btw: nice dev blog ^^

up
5 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Great works.

up
5 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Another great update. Thanks for the video, the new level is going to be a lot of fun.

up
3 users have voted.

Looking forward to the new level and AI.

up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Hey Davey thank you for the video, it looks great :)
That's good not to show to much of it, more to explore left for us :)

I'm excited as everyone to get the first dive there, when do you think it might be released?

up
2 users have voted.
Daveyhoek's picture
Thanks for all the fish

It is probably going to be in Septembers update :)!
up
0 users have voted.
Diving buddy

Still some poeple, including myself, can t even see the floor...
We haven t weak hardware, we posted it a lot, plz work fast on
it, or u will loose a lot of players very soon.