Friday Devblog 46

Diving Roadmap

Johann
Hi!

Like I said last week, today we put up the World of Diving Roadmap.

You can comment on the roadmap in this topic.

Besides the roadmap, I've been working on a new movement style specially designed for VR. (as you can see in the roadmap). The new style of movement is still in active development, but will probably work something like this (copied from the roadmap):

A new way of movement for VR in which the player experiences less nausea. Right now the player is rotated with the mouse or joystick, which induces nausea. One of the ways to improve this is by using the tracked look direction to determine the player rotation (when you keep looking to the right with your head the player will keep rotating to the right when swimming forward).

Of course we will still test the movement, and if it doesn't feel good we will keep on trying out other ways to rotate the player in VR.

Reworked AI system

Trevor

Last week I have been working on a new revised version of our AI system. Our goal is to have the oceans full of fish, way more than there are currently in the game. With the new system we can reach up to ten times more fish in close proximity to the player. I am currently in the process of upgrading all our current fish to the new AI system, and then we have some more changes upcoming for performance.

The main issue with our old AI system is that it relied a lot on the Unity systems. These work fine in general, but have a huge overhead when it comes to thousands of scripts interacting with it. To counter this we have replaced most of the Unity reliant scripts with our own. The main wins we can gain is by making assumptions. Unity is very general, and has to cope with all possible exceptions. Our AI will never be able to reach these exceptions, so we can remove all the checks and overheads of these. This occasionally meant a quadruple increase in performance.

While working on this new AI system, we came up with a lot more optimizations which will result in a more lively sea. After this new integration I will start working on these new idea's so that we can offer even more fish in the sea! In the meanwhile, enjoy the following stress-test screenshots with over 20.000 fish being calculated real-time.

Progress on the Flying Dutchman

Davey
Hey all!

This week I did most of the flora and fauna of the Flying Dutchman level. I also did a bit of the cave! :)
Heres a small teaser just to get the feeling.
Let me know what you think of it.

Previous blogs:

read more...

- Devblog 45 August 7
- Devblog 44 July 17
- Devblog 43 July 10
- Devblog 42 July 3
- Devblog 41 June 26
- Devblog 40 June 19
- Devblog 39 June 12
- Devblog 38 June 5
- Devblog 37 May 29
- Devblog 36 May 22
- Devblog 35 May 15
- Devblog 34 May 8
- Devblog 33 May 1
- Devblog 32 April 24
- Devblog 31 April 17
- Devblog 30 April 10
- Devblog 29 April 3
- Devblog 28 March 27
- Devblog 27 March 20
- Devblog 26: March 13
- Devblog 25: March 6
- Devblog 24: February 27
- Devblog 23: February 20
- Devblog 22: February 13
- Devblog 21: February 6
- Devblog 20: January 30
- Devblog 19: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 23
- Devblog 18: January 17
- Devblog 17: January 9
- Devblog 16: December 19
- Devblog 15: December 12
- Devblog 14: December 5
- Devblog 13: November 28
- Devblog 12: November 21
- Devblog 11: November 14
- Devblog 10: November 7
- Devblog 09: October 31
- Devblog 08: October 17
- Devblog 07: October 10
- Devblog 06: October 3
- Devblog 05: September 26
- Devblog 04: September 19
- Devblog 03: September 12
- Devblog 02: September 5
- Devblog 01: August 29

Comments

up
4 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

Apologies for the delayed devblog post - The blog was done but I forgot to set the page live yesterday.
up
5 users have voted.

I like what I'm seeing on the roadmap. Gives a much better idea of where things are going.

up
4 users have voted.
Pat Tornado's picture
Poseidon

Thank you guys for the news and the preview, it's getting more and more excited :)

up
4 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for roadmap. I see there is plenty of important work to be done over the next eight months.
I am grateful for all previous works. The game the best VR game for me.
I wish you fruitful work for the development team.

up
2 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for the road map and update. It's exciting to see.

up
2 users have voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

Good news about the revamped AI and increased fish counts. Right now the ocean feels very sparse in the game, but boosting the fauna will help in that regard.

In regards to the roadmap, I do have my doubts about the features like having to buy diving permits just to access levels. It seems like you guys want to make the game revolve around the gold farming mechanism, which imho is a poor mechanic for a diving game.

up
1 user has voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

No worries, the diving permits will only be gained by playing level missions - no gold farming or paid mechanism will be in place these permits.
up
1 user has voted.
shponglefan's picture
Sea admiral

That's at least a positive, but it seems to contradict what it says in the road map:

* Equipment shop
A second type of shop, accessible through the main menu and the quest giver. Can be used to spend dubloons on diving equipment like diving permits for levels, active tools (photo camera, scuba scooter etc.), passive tools (knife, head light etc.), boosters (air supply, scuba scooter etc).

up
1 user has voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

Davey, the cave is good idea.
I watched the short video.
I used to dive in the Medes Island and I think the feeling there is same.

up
1 user has voted.
Daveyhoek's picture
Thanks for all the fish

Good to hear! Do you have any photos or an name of the diving site you dove? :)
up
1 user has voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

There is the wikipedia site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medes_Islands
and I uploaded some photos:

up
1 user has voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon
up
2 users have voted.
huszarl's picture
Poseidon

I'm sorry but the link ... right click and open new window.

up
2 users have voted.

Nice that we have a road map now to see what's all to expect in the upcoming months. Also I like the stress test images of all the fishes.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
1 user has voted.
NAUI Diver's picture
Poseidon

The road map is fantastic, thanks so much for this update. The stress test looks phenomenal! Great job devs! Things are looking up for WOD once again.