Friday Devblog 11

JackDaniels' support emails

So what happened this week? Well, because of a couple of work-for-hire projects most of the team members where occupied. Except for Jeroen of course, who had a full time job reading all of JackDaniels' support emails :-)

The work-for-hire projects will be done by the end of this month! So starting early December we will once again fully focus on World of Diving! Woohoo!

So this week's blog will be about photos that were taken this year during the development of World of Diving. Enjoy!

Steam Dev Days:

GDC: presenting World of Diving to the press for the first time, in a hotel room next to the GDC ;)

GDC: We received a VIP invitation to the Minecraft "Notch" party!

The first batch of DK2s got delivered to our office.

Mail arrived from one our (very active) community member Reinier:

Peter testing Oculus Stuff

Aukje (re)decorating her desk... Srg_Brony style

Code team discussing the upcoming Early Access launch

9 More hours...

This is the actual picture we sent to our Steam account manager :)

Picture of the first few minutes after the game went live on Steam Early Access. (Google game analytic was running on our "dev TV")

Visit to Valve: Showing World of Diving to the Steam VR team

Mocapping animations @ Vertigo HQ using Kinects. (yep, that's sticky tape)

And last but not least; Phaota made it on our whiteboard to-do list!

That's it for this week! Thanks for reading. Or shall we say: watching ;-)

- World of Diving Dev Team

History:

Comments

up
7 users have voted.
JackDaniels's picture
Poseidon

FIRSTIES!!

Ok now for the good stuff ...... WOOT the WALL .... Gratz Phaota, I guess the video's helped a little more. As for me Kinda funny I am listed first and get first posting. Here on the Devblog.

Though it is kinda funny .... poor poor Jeroen, coming back from vacation and then suddenly BAM 20 emails in the mail box all with my name attached to the end of them for the Networking bug.

Well Time to get back to sending in another 30 more!

OK, so yes I am the one that is still trapped in the tutorial. For those of you wondering how I do it and what happens when it occurs look here. http://www.divegame.net/node/112056

up
4 users have voted.

Thanks for the update. Hope y'all have an awesome week.

up
5 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for the update! Thanks also go out to Jeroen for working on Jack's connections issues. I know it's difficult to debug because of the nature of the problem. Hopefully a solution will show itself soon. That is great seeing Phaota's bug list on the whiteboard :)

up
3 users have voted.
JackDaniels's picture
Poseidon

if this connection issues continues .... perhaps my name will go down as the JD Network Conflict for the game.
In other news they have me in the special Dev build .... just to find my error's. I can't wait to finally get home and logged in with an account to test this connection error out.

OK, so yes I am the one that is still trapped in the tutorial. For those of you wondering how I do it and what happens when it occurs look here. http://www.divegame.net/node/112056

up
4 users have voted.

Hey, wow, that's very cool seeing you have my name on the board. When do I get paid? LOL I want my "Creature of the Black Lagoon" outfit. :) I noticed in the first photo, you guys are testing out the upcoming coral reef area. So, where is it going to be located? Will it be an extension of our current reef outside the dive base? BTW, being that you guys are also playing "Subnautica", which is shaping up very nicely so far, did you notice the latest terraforming ability? They are finding all kinds of great things in the Unity engine. Definitely take note, for they could give you guys so tips for WoD.

up
1 user has voted.

Forgot to mention that, since the current coral reef is also based on a Florida Keys area with the statue, and you have on the white board (Florida Reef), I can only assume that the upcoming area would be a larger extension of the one we have. Also, the dock posts, both in the menu image and the TV shot, go with the current reef location. Am I right in this assumption?

up
3 users have voted.

Nice, so what did the press think of WOD? (reference to the second pic)
Did you at least meet Glados when you visited Valve?
Also I think Jeroen needs a cookie for dealing with all of JackDaniel's emails

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
1 user has voted.
JackDaniels's picture
Poseidon

Or ..... Just wrap me up and send me on a 14 hour plane ride to see Jeroen in person to walk through the issues in office. And then he gets a big hug from a community member ^_^

up
3 users have voted.

Oh, on the subject of ponies (Aukje desk photo) just wanted to show my newest pendant that I got from a charity auction to benefit St Jude Children's Hospital

Also if you have to use Sticky Tape I could always mail you some Duck tape which is way better ^_^

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
2 users have voted.
JackDaniels's picture
Poseidon

Nahh Send a Welding Torch Possibly better results, and a tool to be included for the game ^_^

up
1 user has voted.
meatmonster's picture
Kraken

when i see how much blood, sweat and tears you put into developing this game, its really sad that only a few people are online and actually playing the game at the moment.

(barely see more than 1 or 2 other players...)

i really hope that the audience will grow in the futrue and more people will start to appreciate your work, guys.

up
1 user has voted.
JackDaniels's picture
Poseidon

They have plenty of support, This game is still in early release and they have a very supportive community willing to support them. If anything, they have the best starting point for anything major that needs to be included. The only possible reason that you don't see enough player's online is possibly because the issue could be time related. I know that I see about 3 to 5 people online at the same time myself.

up
1 user has voted.
Jesse's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for your support. We are very happy with our community and we couldn't ask for a better one. It 's indeed a bummer to see so little sessions or divers ingame. We hope that this will grow over time, with the addition of friend list and chat.
up
1 user has voted.

YES please! This is necessary in case you want to keep the community playing the game. Something else that would be handy is to make more use out of the integration with the website. If it were possible to chat with people through the website, that you could see what your friends are playing and what (public or private) servers are currently online. The best example I can give of another game that did this is Battlefield 3.