Friday Devblog 07

Showcase trailer

Richard

Next to a lot of boring accounting stuff I've been working on the Bismarck environment showcase trailer (yes it's coming soon!), Here's a small snapshot:

Menu customization

Johann

In a future patch, it will become possible to customize your character in the main menu. I've been working on getting customization working in the main menu, as well as making it a little more interesting by, for example, playing an animation when an item is equipped. When customization is added to the main menu, the boats will be included again. However they will not have an effect on gameplay yet.

Also part of our future patches will be further integration of user level into the game. Right now, the only link between the divegame.net level and the game is the XP you get when you complete a daily mission. The first step was showing the user level and XP bar in the main menu, as you can see in the screenshot. More steps on the level integration will follow later on.

Steam Multi-player sessions

Jeroen

This week the first phase of Steam supported networking has been completed. Steam users can now invite & join other Steam users to their multi-player games. Additionally, they can select whether or not they want the game to be open to the public or only open to other Steam friends (or even singleplayer). Matchmaking is also functional in its basic form.

With this seamless joining of multi-player games through matchmaking, a new problem has arisen. One player in a game can be either the host or a client; leaving a mutli-player game while being the host results in other players in the game being disconnected.
In order to solve this problem we are going to support unnoticeable host migration. This allows any of the players to drop in and out of the game without noticing a difference (regardless of being the host or client). This week I've been implementing a synchronization mechanism which is needed for the synchronization of fish AI.

Bismarck

Paul

So this week i have been tinkering around again with the Bismarck level. The things that are changed are mostly small details such as fixing shadows, adjusting the vector paint some more, replacing objects that are sticking trough walls and baking some small lightmaps.
Also i added the pearl box and the ROV has been placed to light the Bismarck.

ROV + cusk eel: modeling & texturing

Jhon-alexander

Started this week with finishing the unwrap for the ROV.
Baked a Normal and Ambient Occlusion maps and made the textures. Putting some light's on the model so you can explore the Bismarck level with this Buddy.

Made a new rig for the cusk eel and using standard rigging as well as vertex color based deformations for the animations for the eel.

History:

Comments

up
7 users have voted.

As always, looking fantastic. Great work, Vertigo!

Raptr Gamercard

up
5 users have voted.

I love the ROV Buddy =D

up
7 users have voted.

Awesome stuff as always! :)

up
6 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Another great update, thanks! I'm really looking forward to the showcase trailer Richard. It will be nice to get the "customize character" on the main menu. Nice touch with the extra animation there Johann.

Jeroen, not losing the session when the host drops out sounds like an interesting problem. It sounds like you've got a good idea on how to solve it.

Love your work Paul. I've been wondering what the new pearl cases will look like. Thanks for sharing the photos. Great work on the ROV Jhon-alexander. That will be fun to try out.

Have a super weekend guys!

up
7 users have voted.

I start looking forward to these blogs earlier every week, all I'm thinking now is, when's the update? And is it Friday yet? Great work!

up
8 users have voted.
FreeS0uL's picture
Sea admiral

The small snapshot is amazing... can't wait for the trailer!
Thanks for another great blog! :)

up
4 users have voted.

Lots of great info there with lots of goodies to look forward to. The game is looking epic :)

up
5 users have voted.
Silverus's picture
Scuba diver

Nice work! =)

up
2 users have voted.
meatmonster's picture
Kraken

im really surprised by this game, in positive matter. keep up the good work!

up
2 users have voted.

Love the new customization menu ideas, as well as everything else.

up
1 user has voted.
meatmonster's picture
Kraken

is it intentional that i can hear other peoples metal detector in game even when i mute my own?

im not sure how to say it otherwise, hearing the "beep", is really annoying after a while.

up
2 users have voted.

Nice, can't wait till I get back home from this course to try it out.

Current status: working 2-10 really s*#k ^_^

up
1 user has voted.
Gaigaozan's picture
Aye aye captain!

Dumb question, will the quests for gaining xp persist when the game is finally released?

Sincerely,

Gaigaozan