Friday Devblog 06

Non-fish buddy

Trevor

This week I have been experimenting with creatures and objects which are not your regular fish. With the upcoming Bismarck release we thought it would be awesome to introduce a non fish buddy, related to the Bismarck or deep sea diving. Maybe something like a mini submarine?

With this in mind we stumbled on the Little Hercules ROV.
With a few tweaks I have been able to add this bubbly friend as a buddy in the game. Instead of flipping fins or moving his body, he moves forward with his propeller.

This buddy has opened some more doors for us, we can now also easily make more creatures which do not swim by merely flapping their fins. So stay tuned for some more types of swimmers in the near future!

Website feature: forum activity!

Johann

In the image below, you can see a preview for the new 'Forum activity' website feature I've been working on.

From now on, you can see the activity in all of the topics you have been active in. This helps you keep track of your topics and the topics you have posted a reply in.

You can filter the activity view in three ways:
- Topics: Only show the activity in the topics you have started
- Replies: Only show the activity in the topics you have posted a reply in
- Both: Show both of the above

Steam lobbies & plankton

Jeroen

This week has been mostly about implementing Steam Lobby support for our game. Steam Lobbies are used to allow players to join each others game easily through the Steam interface. Players can also invite other into their game. What the Steam system also provides is matchmaking. This early version of Steam lobbies will use the most simple version; joining any lobby of the level you selected that isn't full yet.

Plankton particles have also been updated a little bit; they are optimized in terms of performance, but more importantly, they are now shaded by lights in the scene. This makes it look a lot more realistic, especially in low-light levels such as Bismarck.

Bismarck update

Paul

This week i have been working on the Bismarck level again. Filling up the level making the area more interesting. And filling up the ship with rusticles again, baking some ambient occlusion maps for the sub and the ship And adding more hallways Laying them out as in the Bismarck as close as possible. I also added some extra damaged areas on the ships hull where there is damage on the real Bismarck. Like holes in the deck and the big hole in the fire control area. In the pictures below you can see some shots of the hallways.

Fish & remote submarine

Jhon-alexander

This week Pretty much finished the Cusk Eel aside from the animations, this particular animal has a peculiar and interesting way of swimming. Using a shader based animation with vertex painting for the dorsal fins and a normal rig system for the rest of the model. The Anemones are as good done so look out for those soon in the Bismarck level.

Started a new Model for the buddy system, a remote Submarine. The model is all finished, next week on to texturing and than this baby is a GO.

History:

Comments

up
6 users have voted.

Awesome! A question for Jhon-alexander: how long does it take to fully create one species of fish?

up
2 users have voted.
Jhon-alexander's picture
Scuba diver

Hi Piggly Wiggly

Depending on the species and desired quality it can be a week to a week and half . building a placeholder can be done in a few hours and a finished model can be done in a few days. Texturing will usually take 1 a 2 days to make all the maps and get it all to work with the shaders.

Depending on the required animation i make a rig in Maya and / or use vertex color shader based morphing. Depending a the animation the rig can be rather basic to complex.

I hope this answered your question :)

up
0 users have voted.

Thanks for the reply! It seems like way mpre work than I imagined!

up
5 users have voted.

Absolutely amazing work, Vertigo. Those pictures look gorgeous.

Raptr Gamercard

up
5 users have voted.
scubapro's picture
Aye aye captain!

Thanks, the Forum Activity section will be very helpful. Now I don't need to run a search to find my posts.

Those Bismark hallways look like they are taken from a Silent Hill game. I'll be looking for undead sailors. Very cool.

up
5 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

It's really exciting to follow the development of WoD, especially the progress on the Bismarck dive site. You are doing great work and have some wonderful new ideas. The mini sub buddy is a real surprise. I can hardly wait to explore the Bismarck itself. Those new photos of the interior are fantastic Paul.

up
4 users have voted.

Amazing stuff once again guys! Enjoy your weekend =)

up
3 users have voted.

Can't wait to see some of the stuff in the game.

up
4 users have voted.

Awesome stuff guys! :)

up
4 users have voted.
Barrelfish's picture
Poseidon

Bismarck's four main turrets fell out of their barbettes when she rolled over but only one was found by Ballard's expedition. It lies upside down about 550 feet off Bismarck's port bow, lower down the avalanche slide that the ship caused when she hit the bottom. Depending on how large you plan to make the Bismarck dive site, it would be great if you could include this turret as a secondary objective for divers!

up
2 users have voted.

That and the two floor conning tower that broke off and landing upside-down up the slope from the ship.

up
2 users have voted.

Question about the Bismarck rusticles in those two images, I only see them going down the walls. I certainly hope there will be a ton of them hanging like stalactites from the roofs of all the rooms and hallways, because the ship's interior has them everywhere. Also, tons of debris in both semi-good to destroyed conditions, lots of cloud producing sediment layers on everything, deep ocean fish (which there isn't a lot that was found in the wreck, so don't be doing schools of them), white anemones, and pure blackness that can only be cast away by lights.

up
3 users have voted.
Paul's picture
Shark whisperer

There will be hanging rusticles on the ceillings.
And debris has been added.
Semi-good and destroyed interior and such are yet to be made. And will be added later to the Bismarck.

up
1 user has voted.

Oh wow, nice to see something completely different! Wonder how it'll work out when there are a lot of people in a tiny hallway like that...

up
1 user has voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Amazing work Paul. Thanks for posting an updated photo of your work. My first thought after viewing this today was that daily missions and other missions could be rather difficult at this site. Can't wait1

up
2 users have voted.
ChodaGirl's picture
Aye aye captain!

Fix the lighting issues and provide an option to turn off gold coins and oysters.

up
1 user has voted.
Diving buddy

PLEASE PLEASE ADD SPEAR FISHING! It will make this game so addicting and fun! Spear fishing would be the best thing about the game. Oh and how do you play stage 0? I bought the game a couple weeks ago and don't know how to access the stage 0

up
1 user has voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Welcome to WoD Scubaguy. Refer to this guide to get you started http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=297597768

If you post your questions over on one of the official forums you will probably get more responses. Be sure to introduce yourself so that everyone can welcome you :)