Friday Devblog 05

Oculus Connect

Richard

I've attended the Oculus Connect conference last weekend; Lot's of exciting talks from John Carmack, the guys from Epic Games, Lucky’s Tale and many more.

Checking out the GearVR and the Crescent Bay prototype was absolutely an amazing experience, I'm glad we're part of this VR future!

After an awesome pool side party plus a huge hangover the next day:) I flew to Seattle to meetup with Valve's VR department.

Wow...just Wow.... (sorry people, I can't disclose anything about this XD)

Metal Detector Coding

Johann

The metal detector was planned for development this week. My task was creating a system for the metal detector to function. For this, I wrote a system which detects all objects which have the metal property. The metal detector shows the metal which has the highest detection score. This score is dependent on the distance and angle to the metal.
The nice thing about the system is that any object can be tagged so is detectable by the metal detector. This means it is relatively easy to add gameplay which uses this system, for example a collection mission. For now, only Doubloons can be detected.

SteamVR & Steam Friends

Jeroen

This week I have been busy mostly with fixing several issues with SteamVR. The flickering real-time shadows had to be fixed because they were giving a really disturbing effect in one eye. The surfacing and submerging effects didn't work yet on SteamVR, so these had to be fixed as well.

Another important thing I worked on is integrating Steam friends with the goal of easily teaming up with friends or teaming up through the Steam's matchmaking system. The first phase involves creating games with different levels of accessibility, namely: Public, Friends Only and Private. This phase also involves a quick game mode which uses basic matchmaking; players will be teamed up with other players playing the same game level. In the future this matchmaking system will match players of the same skill level or progression as well.
In later phases we will build support for inviting players using Steam's invite system, as well as viewing games in which your friends are playing. Currently, there is still always one master diving and the session is closed if he/she leaves. This will also be addressed in a later phase to allow for seamless joining and leaving of public games. Changing the accessibility or level while in a game is also something we have planned in a later phase.

Bismarck

Paul

This week i worked on a couple of Bismarck related things. First of all i have made a start to make the bigger weapons on the Bismarck more detailed when you swim close to them. For example the flak gun in the picture below. You can see the new model on the left and the old one on the right, there is much more detail in the new model and the armor around the gun is now just like on the Bismarck open at the back.

The second thing i have been working on is adding more details on the ship itself. The hull is now vertex painted to blend the textures and i added the rusticles to the hull and soon there will also be some anemones living on the walls of Bismarck.

Some fishy stuff

Jhon-alexander

Started this week with the textures for the Sea anemone and testing of the LOD system in Unity, making sure that everything was working as expected. After the Sea anemone was finished i continued with the Cusk Eel, rigging, skinning the model and making dedicated rig controls.

Baking Ambient occlusion map for the texturing stage, For this particular model i made the Textures from scratch. Friday finished the textures, testing all rig controls and making the LOD system for this model and overall tweaks.

Metal Detector

Peter

I'm excited to tell you that the next build we provide will finally have the long awaited metal detector!
We have forgotten to update the poll, but have started working on the metal detector instead of the advanced scuba camera since it's been dominating the poll for so long.
Together with Johann I have been working on the metal detector to provide a way to search for coins in the levels.
Next to coins it's also possible to locate unopened pearl boxes that are scattered throughout the Bismarck shipwreck (which will be included in the next build as well!).
In the future we will be adding artifacts and scrap like objects that can be located using the metal detector as well, but more on this later.
Additional functionality, like a 'ping' for objects in the area will be added at a later time, but I'm convinced that this new tool should give you enough motivation to start searching for coins again and personally I have had a good time doing that myself.
Happy coin hunting and until next time!

History:

Comments

up
4 users have voted.

Half life 3 confirmed? Also great job as always and looking forward to the next build!

up
8 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

HL3: It looks like they changed the aliens to fishes and added underwater scenery, the crowbar now is a camera... can't wait for the full release!

up
6 users have voted.

Thanks guys. Always awesome reading this post.

up
6 users have voted.

Nice read guys, thanks for all the hard work you put in this game =)

up
4 users have voted.
Jace's picture
Poseidon

Thanks for the update guys, you are doing a fantastic job. The next build sounds exciting and I'm looking forward to it. Have a great weekend, you deserve it!

up
4 users have voted.

I really enjoy and appreciate how you guys keep we players in the loop. Lots of exciting stuff to look forward to. Even more so now that we get to see the hard work that goes into putting these updates out. :)

up
1 user has voted.
Shadrays's picture
Aye aye captain!

Can't wait to use it....

up
3 users have voted.
scubapro's picture
Aye aye captain!

Yay! Rustcicles and anemones! Will they be added to the existing wrecks any time soon? I like the realism...Of course its not realistic for anyone to dive the Bismark without a sub, but that's OK.

up
2 users have voted.
Richard's picture
Poseidon

We're adding the rusticles and anemones only to the Bismarck level for now. We like to release every level at (give or take) 70%-80% completion for now. Once the game is "content-complete" we will fully complete the previous released levels.

So yeah; they will be added, and no... not anytime soon.

up
1 user has voted.
scubapro's picture
Aye aye captain!

Will the rustcicles break and released debris/dust?

up
2 users have voted.

Awesome work, Vertigo. Cannot wait!

Raptr Gamercard

up
3 users have voted.

Awesome, can't wait for the next update. Keep up the great work guys! :)

up
0 users have voted.

Really looks like the update will be a pretty big one, looking forward to it!

From birth man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to the earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free. - Jacques Cousteau