Friday Devblog 03

Buddies

Trevor

Last week I had the opportunity to work on the first version of the buddy system! You are now able to unlock a couple of buddies in the store and can toggle your buddy ( if you have one equiped ) by using the spacebar interface. At the moment the buddies are purely cosmetic, but in the future you will be able to consider your buddy an extra tool.

I’ve been able to reuse a lot of our existing AI system in order to create a simple AI for the buddies. Currently, the buddies will follow you around and will sometimes swim in your vision, while also avoiding weird positions. Keep in mind that this is a very, very, very early version of the buddy system and there is a lot more to come. I could also upload an in-depth explanation of our buddy AI system for all the AI lovers in the future, because I think it’s pretty awesome ;)

topic

Vincent

This week I worked on the Bismarck battleship. I watched the documentary that James Cameron made about the ship on youtube and and think it is really impressive to have a ship with so much history around it.

The main thing I did was fixing models and textures. The ship was made a while ago and in the mean time we did change a lot of the work flow. Like some extra shaders and better textures. I also made a new shader that blend 3 textures based on vertex colors and also has ambient occlusion based on vertex colors.

I also added some extra watches for the shop. These will be added to the shop soon.

topic

Jeroen

I have once again been busy with the more technical side of the game, so I'm afraid there are no fancy screenshots to be found here! Oculus has released a new version of their SDK and SteamVR has had an update as well, both have been updated to their newest version. Although there is still a little bit of work needed to be done until SteamVR works perfectly. The network library has also been updated to the newest version, which should make the multi-player side of the game more stable. Besides that and providing support I have also been working on the design for the new system for joining multiplayer matches with your Steam friends.

Submarine update

Paul

Last week i have been working on a way to get you guys to the Bismark in style. It has been i while since i posted the sketch on the forums, but finally the submarine is almost done.
The sub will be used as a starting position in the Bismark where you customize your character, and possibly a means to light the Bismark so you can see where you are diving. It has been a fun process tinkering around with the model and the textures and the result is a nice looking sub. But it will take some time to make it look even better.

Business as usual

Richard

I've been sending out lot's and lot's of emails to the press, contacted even more platforms for World of Diving to be sold on. Right now we're on: Steam, GamersGate, Desura, GreenManGaming, GetGames, Amazon, Mac Games Store, Humble Store and IndieGameStand!.

Community

Jesse

I did my usual rounds on the community. Chatting with you and listening to want you guys want us to do next. Besides that I’m working on the background on some art element and side projects.

Seahorses!

Jhon-alexander

This week i started with the low poly model of the seahorse. I started on monday morning with the modeling and was finish with low poly model on Wednesday. The target tri count was 2.000 and after some optimizing the low poly model was 1,934 tris.

On Thursday i unwrapped the model and was finished with that at the end of the morning, the rest of the day i spend on baking a normal and AO maps as well texturing.

Friday till noon i made all the textures ready and keep testing in unity for any problems, all problems were quickly resolved as it was found.

Deep Sea Atmosphere

Peter

This week it's been all about the Bismarck for me. I've been doing research to many deep sea creatures and the Bismarck's story. In case you haven't seen it yet, you should watch James Cameron's documentary on it, it's pretty amazing stuff!

The upcoming level is the first deep sea one and I've been doing some tests with volumetric lighting in order to get the right atmosphere in a pitch black environment. The volumetric lighting is still a work in progress and it still requires some work to get it right, but as far as atmosphere is concerned, check out the image and hopefully you agree we're on the right track here.

A handful of deep sea fishes have been added already and I've provided the art team with a list of interesting fishes that I can't wait to sea in the game. I also added some challenges in the level and am looking forward to getting the new challenge types because it will be pretty awesome to play in the Bismarck level.

History:

Comments

up
4 users have voted.

Yes! Deep-sea creatures!

up
3 users have voted.

Loving the blog as usual guys! And do I spot some new faces? ;-)

up
4 users have voted.

The Deep Sea! That is so fantastic news! Great work, Vertigo!

Raptr Gamercard

up
2 users have voted.
ChodaGirl's picture
Aye aye captain!

Wow, looks great fellas!

up
1 user has voted.
Silverus's picture
Scuba diver

Thx for this! I must say i like ure blogs and that we diving fans can follow the process =)

up
3 users have voted.
Need for speed-boat

Deep sea creatures ?
Ok, now gimme the Vampire Squid !

Love the rest of the blog, seahorses are a must ! Very nice looking so far.
Also the deep sea lightning is fantastic.

up
1 user has voted.
DOOMZLAIR's picture
Diving buddy

I love these DevBlogs. They are spectacular! Great Job WoD Team, can't wait for the Buddy System.

up
1 user has voted.
Atemu's picture
Diving buddy

It would be awesome to see some lobsters and octopus

up
2 users have voted.
Killerkeys's picture
Scuba diver

wow new map in the making :) cant wait

up
0 users have voted.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I like your blog format with the update from the dev's individually and what they are working on while still touching a focus point on the overall topics, neat to see it coming together this way!

From birth man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to the earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free. - Jacques Cousteau

up
1 user has voted.
scubapro's picture
Aye aye captain!

Yay! Seahorses! Keep up the good work.

up
2 users have voted.

Awesome stuff! Keep up the great work. :)

up
0 users have voted.
Scuba diver

So buddies are random sea creatures?

up
0 users have voted.
Diving buddy

Only prior to he dethroned Tony Abbott to come to be Best Official, Malcolm Turnbull mobile phoned veteran competitor and telecommunications expert Paul Budde.

Budde had written an unfavorable expert note on August 25 concerning the now former interactions minister's lapse of the nationwide broadband system, stating he "just failed to have a clue exactly what he was doing" by changing "such a sizable nationwide commercial infrastructure structure project midway by means of the structured method". Budde disclosed decision in a details delivered to media people final Wednesday.

Turnbull, which had recently differed along with Budde's NBN evaluation, was actually evidently therefore incensed by the professional's note that he thought the have to call Budde. When specifically the telephone call was actually produced is mistaken, as well as neither is exactly what Turnbull claimed.